Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Air Compressor Water Drain??

I have had my new compressor with a 80 gallon vertical tank installed for a couple weeks now. I had put off checking the drain valve to see if it had water in it. Surprise, this evening I drained around a gallon of water. It has no drain system installed just the little spigot at the bottom. There is not much clearance between it and the floor so I am going to have figure something out. What are you all doing for air compressor drains? pictures? thanks a lot

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    B2710

Default Re: Air Compressor Water Drain??

I ran my drain out the wall of the shop, put a quarter turn valve just inside the wall and an elbow pointing down at the ground outside the wall. You'll also want to add a water trap in the line right after the compressor to make sure you get out as much water as possible before it hits your tools.
    Kubota B2710, New Holland CM274 front mower, Toro Zmaster ZTR, Ford 908 bush hog, New Idea manure spreader, Swisher trail mower

Bronze Member

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2012 John Deere 3520 Deluxe Cab

Gallon? you serious!!!??? IT would take a year for my 80 gallon to accumulate that much. thats crazy

Tractor
    2007 New Holland TC34DA

Quote Originally Posted by monteu View Post
    I have had my new compressor with a 80 gallon vertical tank installed for a couple weeks now. I had put off checking the drain valve to see if it had water in it. Surprise, this evening I drained around a gallon of water. It has no drain system installed just the little spigot at the bottom. There is not much clearance between it and the floor so I am going to have figure something out. What are you all doing for air compressor drains? pictures? thanks a lot
    Ideally, drain it after every use. For my 30 gal tank that yields a splash on the cement floor that dries into groovy blast pattern. If you have enough water in your tank to create a puddle, then you aren't draining often enough.

Tractor
    Kubota L2500 & 1010 John Deere

I have an 80 gallon Devilbiss unit, I tipped the unit on it's side, removed the little drain valve and installed a 90 degree elbow, then ran a piece of galvanized pipe out past the bottom of the tank and installed a very small ball valve. Every time I get near the compressor I open the ballcock valve, out comes the condensation.

Tractor
    Kubota L5240 HSTC, (Kubota L3130 HST - sold)

Quote Originally Posted by adjusterr View Post
    I have an 80 gallon Devilbiss unit, I tipped the unit on it's side, removed the little drain valve and installed a 90 degree elbow, then ran a piece of galvanized pipe out past the bottom of the tank and installed a very small ball valve. Every time I get near the compressor I open the ballcock valve, out comes the condensation.
    Exact same thing I did, and exactly how I handle it. every time I walk by I give it a quick shot (might be daily, might be 2 weeks if I am not using it).
    -Dave

"Being a pessimist is great. You can't lose. Either you end up being right...or you are pleasantly surprised."

L5240HST, QA, 824 Loader, 48" Forks, 48" Grapple, rear blade, box blade, landscape rake, Ancient Farmi Skidding winch
    Trailer - 10k/16' twin axle w/elec brakes
    2005 F250 5.4V8(3V) 3.73/4wd tow vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by mvwicker View Post
    Ideally, drain it after every use. For my 30 gal tank that yields a splash on the cement floor that dries into groovy blast pattern. If you have enough water in your tank to create a puddle, then you aren't draining often enough.
    I agree.

I just have a 30 gallon upright rigged the same and I do the same as far as draining it. The only problem is that the elbow makes the drain just a tiny bit too long. It's supposed to be a portable compressor with wheels, but since I never move it anyway, I raised it a bit with wooden blocks.
    Bird

Tractor
    Kubota M5040, M9540, B21 TLB, B2710, RTV900, JD 325 Skid steer, KX-121-3 mini excavator

Tractor Supply has a drain kit with a 90 degree ell, a straight piece, and a valve for under $20.

Make sure if you start adding any piping or fittings that they are rated for the pressure, you do not want an shrapnel flying around the shop.

Ken

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by dstig1 View Post
    Exact same thing I did, and exactly how I handle it. every time I walk by I give it a quick shot (might be daily, might be 2 weeks if I am not using it).
    Yep, I have a Quincy and that is what I do.

John Deere 4700 - FEL & Backhoe
    McCormick C80L - FEL
    Bolens G152

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast