Steps for painting tractor

/ Steps for painting tractor #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
Ok im going to paint my 3910 ford tractor. Im planning to use Omni AU urethane base clear. What steps should i use to clean and prepare metal? Also what primer should i use. I heard a etching primer is the way to go. Also using all Omni line products. Thank you

/ Steps for painting tractor
Ok i have a friend that finally has about 75 percent of the work done on my Ford 3910. We decided to use PPG Del Fleet epoxy paint and primer. Chasis looks sweet and cant wait to see her finished. She only has a little over 700 hours on her but sat outside for a period making her look rough.

Attachments

• image-2018076261.jpg
    image-2018076261.jpg
    589.5 KB · Views: 492
   / Steps for painting tractor #3  
WOW very nice!!

/ Steps for painting tractor #4  
Looking good! That epoxy stuff requires a little prep to remove any surface dirt/debris (a good pressure washing is usually enough) but sticks to just about anything (including your lungs so plan accordingly). I'll be painting on old JD 2020 soon (if it warms up and quits snowing).

/ Steps for painting tractor #5  
Wow that looks good.

When you say stick to it is that just while its curing out I hope?

Were getting closer. Sheet metal complete by next week.

image-1317735406.jpg

Well we finally finished her up. It turned out completely beyond my expectations. They guy helping me do the work is fantastic and really takes alot of pride in his work. The PPG Delfleet Essentials is also the best paint used to date as it flows on nice and sticks like crazy glue. Tractor has just under 800 hours but looks like it just rolled off the show room floor. Another attribute is the PPG Ford Blue matches the OEM Ford II stickers almost perfectly meaning the blue must be very close to factory. Now how in the world am I going to get her dirty? Lol

image-2043555445.jpg

/ Steps for painting tractor #10  
That is truly a great looking tractor. The Ford 3910 has always been one to admire. Good job.