New Home Heating Ideas

/ New Home Heating Ideas #21  
Insulation and sealing the home will be the best passive energy saving investment you can make.

/ New Home Heating Ideas #22  
I've had either natural gas or propane in several different homes over the years, and my present house could have had either. I went with propane because I got tired of the gas co. nickel and diming the bill every month with franchise fees, taxes for this and that, transportation charge, on and on to where the gas I used was $10 and the total bill would be over $30. I own the 1000 gal. propane tank and can have it filled once a year when prices are cheapest and then I'm done. It's also farm use so I don't have to pay any sales tax. It supplies the water heater, a couple of radiant eyes in the shop, and a backup forced air when I'm not around to feed the woodstove. The best bet is still putting your money in insulation, sounds high in the beginning but will pay back many times over the years.

/ New Home Heating Ideas #23  
I had propane but switched to pellets. One furnace and one stove. Square footage is around 2200. Last year was $500 in pellets and around $200 in propane. I now have a tankless water heater only on propane. Winters aren't as cold here in PAC NW

/ New Home Heating Ideas #24  
I too would vote Geo thermal if you can tie into the mortgage - it's probably a $10-12K addition over traditional systems. Another suggestion is using the foam insulation for the first 1" to seal the building envelope then traditional batt insulation in the cavity.

Then propane for hot water and a propane fireplace in finished basement area. Also with a tight house an air-air exchanger (usually part of the geo thermal) is a good idea.

We have 2800 SF and use 500 gal ($2K) of oil a year (90% eff boiler) along with a cord or so wood in a fireplace.

Neighbor has 3600SF new construction (plus 1500SF basement) with 10" foam insulation in ceiling/roof and 6" in walls and uses $1600 propane a year and $100/month electric on average. So $250 a month average cost. He spent $24K for all foam insulation - double the cost of batts but felt long term it was worth it.

As others have said then orient house for thermal gain in winter will make a difference.

/ New Home Heating Ideas
Thanks for all the comments and advice. I think I will try for Geothermal if I can afford it. It sounds like from many of the posts that I should be looking just as hard at insulation. Thanks again.

/ New Home Heating Ideas
You need to contact a heating engineer called Doug Rye he is out of Arkansaw he has a web site and is an advocate of geo-thermal. I have had mine since 1990. It is the cheapest way I have to heat my house. I have hot water boiler and a wood stove but the geo is the most econimical there are more geo systems in Canada than the US and it has been around since the early 1900. Doug lists his phone # and will talk you thru what you need he will calclulate you furnace and a/c size if you send him your plans,

I found the site and will give him a call! Thanks

/ New Home Heating Ideas #27  
You need to super insulate the basement also. Should be done before walls are back filled.

/ New Home Heating Ideas #28  
Think about a system that will work with the power out in the case of a winter storm. Our jotul propane stove works if the power goes out and heats our whole house.

/ New Home Heating Ideas #29  
I went through this scenario five years ago. I ended up buying and designing our house around a Napoleon nz6000 fireplace and it heats well. We live on 20 acres of forest so wood was the best option for us. If going heat pump, geothermal for sure in your climate. You will benefit with free hot water in the summer. Just realize that with the current EPA plans, the cost of electricity will continue to go up substantially. You may want to also consider, dual fuel with propane backup. Probably wont add much to the cost since you can use it as the air handler and could be used with a small generator during emergencies.

/ New Home Heating Ideas #30  
Do you have a big property ? Lot of acerage ? Acces to free burning wood ? If you don t mind the extra effort and have access to wood, this would be your cheapest long run option. A good design indoor gasifier wood boiler with appropriate storage usually need 1 fire a day. And you can heat the house wih radiant hydronic floor, and have your DHW heat by wood year round. But you have to remember that heating with wood is part of a lifestyle. If you hate processig wood, don t do it. There is a forum on wood burning with a LOT of usefuul info: hearth . com . I am in a new home and will be going with hydronic radiant that eventually will be heated by wood boiler