Overlapping Sliding Barn Doors?

/ Overlapping Sliding Barn Doors? #1  

avc8130

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L45
I'm looking to re-side and re-configure my current barn a bit to make it more useful for me. Currently the structure is 24x24. The front has a man door dead center, with a set of hinged doors to the left that open 8' wide.

I'd LOVE to rearrange the front access a bit. I want to keep the man door in the middle and put a sliding door on each side. The sliding doors would need to slide in front of the man door and partially over each other.

How is this done?

Here's a sketch. Pretty self-explanatory I hope.

Barn.jpg

ac

/ Overlapping Sliding Barn Doors?
   / Overlapping Sliding Barn Doors? #4  
AC,

Are you trying to get a seal for some degree of weather-tightness or just for cosmetic purposes?

Steve

/ Overlapping Sliding Barn Doors? #6  
I'm constructing barn doors right now but mine do not overlap (butt together in center.)

However, the hardware is expensive but a co-worker of mine found a much less expensive option - Unistrut (half channel strut generic name) and Unistrut trolleys. I'm using a 5' section for each door, and 3 trolleys to support a 100# door. Grand total for the track and trolleys is less than $50. A couple fixed casters as roller guides adds $5.

Good luck, just thought if I could save you a few (hundred) bucks, it might be worth your while.

/ Overlapping Sliding Barn Doors? #7  
Can you install one door on the inside of the wall, and one on the out side.

Best set up, I have seen is 2 sliders set up like a sliding closet door, can man door be moved to left or right, or side of building, this would also allow wider sliders. This setup would solve the problem of sealing up door opening.

Dave

/ Overlapping Sliding Barn Doors? #8  
How do I "seal" the door that is on the "outside" to the face of the barn? Space out the trim to hide it a bit?

On the outside end, you could space out the trim until the door slides into it as a "stop", but the bigger issue would be the side next to the man door...that would normally seal against the inner door where they overlap, but since it will be a man door away, you''l be left with an inner-door-thickness gap. You'd need to come up with a panel that flips into that space or something, but I'd think that's get awkward pretty fast. If you could make having the man door to one side of the double-door work for you, instead of between the doors, that'd be a much easier setup to make work.

/ Overlapping Sliding Barn Doors?
Can you install one door on the inside of the wall, and one on the out side.

Best set up, I have seen is 2 sliders set up like a sliding closet door, can man door be moved to left or right, or side of building, this would also allow wider sliders. This setup would solve the problem of sealing up door opening.

Dave

Dave,

I don't really want to move the man door. There is a water hydrant and the electrical panel just to the right of the man door, so moving it won't gain too much without major systems re-work.

The idea is to slide the tractor in the left side, along with my hay storage. Then the right side gets the lawn mower and grain storage on pallets.

ac

/ Overlapping Sliding Barn Doors? #10  
avc8130 said:
Steve,

That looks good. Then I would just run 2 tracks right across the whole barn. How do I "seal" the door that is on the "outside" to the face of the barn? Space out the trim to hide it a bit?

ac

One way to get the doors to seal is to make the man door a slider on the inside track, rather than have it hinged.