Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L45

Default Overlapping Sliding Barn Doors?

I'm looking to re-side and re-configure my current barn a bit to make it more useful for me. Currently the structure is 24x24. The front has a man door dead center, with a set of hinged doors to the left that open 8' wide.

I'd LOVE to rearrange the front access a bit. I want to keep the man door in the middle and put a sliding door on each side. The sliding doors would need to slide in front of the man door and partially over each other.

How is this done?

Here's a sketch. Pretty self-explanatory I hope.

ac

Tractor
    NH TN 55, Kubota B2320 & RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw 61" ZTR

Default Re: Overlapping Sliding Barn Doors?

If I understand the situation correctly, double rail brackets should work: Buy the Hardware House 522649 Barn Door Double Rail Bracket at Hardware World

Steve

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L45

Quote Originally Posted by smstonypoint View Post
    If I understand the situation correctly, double rail brackets should work: Buy the Hardware House 522649 Barn Door Double Rail Bracket at Hardware World

Steve
    Steve,

That looks good. Then I would just run 2 tracks right across the whole barn. How do I "seal" the door that is on the "outside" to the face of the barn? Space out the trim to hide it a bit?

ac

Tractor
    NH TN 55, Kubota B2320 & RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw 61" ZTR

AC,

Are you trying to get a seal for some degree of weather-tightness or just for cosmetic purposes?

Steve

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L45

Quote Originally Posted by smstonypoint View Post
    AC,

Are you trying to get a seal for some degree of weather-tightness or just for cosmetic purposes?

Steve
    Steve,

Cosmetic mostly.

Anthony

Tractor
    Kubota B2100

I'm constructing barn doors right now but mine do not overlap (butt together in center.)

However, the hardware is expensive but a co-worker of mine found a much less expensive option - Unistrut (half channel strut generic name) and Unistrut trolleys. I'm using a 5' section for each door, and 3 trolleys to support a 100# door. Grand total for the track and trolleys is less than $50. A couple fixed casters as roller guides adds $5.

Good luck, just thought if I could save you a few (hundred) bucks, it might be worth your while.
    Kubota B2100 HSD
    FEL
    48" box blade
    Slip on forks w/ chains
    48" 3pt snowblower

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Oliver 1855, Case 1840, Cub 1550

Can you install one door on the inside of the wall, and one on the out side.

Best set up, I have seen is 2 sliders set up like a sliding closet door, can man door be moved to left or right, or side of building, this would also allow wider sliders. This setup would solve the problem of sealing up door opening.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
    How do I "seal" the door that is on the "outside" to the face of the barn? Space out the trim to hide it a bit?
    On the outside end, you could space out the trim until the door slides into it as a "stop", but the bigger issue would be the side next to the man door...that would normally seal against the inner door where they overlap, but since it will be a man door away, you''l be left with an inner-door-thickness gap. You'd need to come up with a panel that flips into that space or something, but I'd think that's get awkward pretty fast. If you could make having the man door to one side of the double-door work for you, instead of between the doors, that'd be a much easier setup to make work.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L45

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
    Can you install one door on the inside of the wall, and one on the out side.

Best set up, I have seen is 2 sliders set up like a sliding closet door, can man door be moved to left or right, or side of building, this would also allow wider sliders. This setup would solve the problem of sealing up door opening.

Dave
    Dave,

I don't really want to move the man door. There is a water hydrant and the electrical panel just to the right of the man door, so moving it won't gain too much without major systems re-work.

The idea is to slide the tractor in the left side, along with my hay storage. Then the right side gets the lawn mower and grain storage on pallets.

ac

Tractor
    Kubota B2620, Ford 2N

Quote Originally Posted by avc8130

Steve,

That looks good. Then I would just run 2 tracks right across the whole barn. How do I "seal" the door that is on the "outside" to the face of the barn? Space out the trim to hide it a bit?

ac
    One way to get the doors to seal is to make the man door a slider on the inside track, rather than have it hinged.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast