Cold weather lighting

/ Cold weather lighting #1  

Danno1

Veteran Member
Tractor
B6100DT

I'm starting to think about replacing the T12 fixtures in my unheated garage. In the winter, only one or two light up. One or two barely glow, and the rest do nothing (except maybe cost me money!).

It occasionally gets below 0 (F) here but single digits are common enough at night. Mostly low teens though.

So what is better, T8 or T5? Why would I choose one over the other. I'm assuming they both start at low temps.

/ Cold weather lighting #2  
Not sure which one would be called better but they are different. T5 usually has a higher output of light than T8 but cost a lot more. At least double.

I would go with the T8 unless you're needing a lot of light with a high ceiling.

You can retrofit your existing fixtures with new T8 ballast and tubes. Unless you have some high dollar fixtures that are mounted in a way that would make it difficult to replace I would just buy new fixtures. If its a standard fixture you wouldn't save much money if any.

You'll have a world of difference in the new T8 fixtures compared to your T12's. Better light, starting down to 0* (F),
no humming, less weight hanging on your ceiling..etc.

/ Cold weather lighting #3  
Just make sure you get the fixtures that are rated for cold start. The box will say that. I've been buying the Menards 4 foot T-8 fixtures when they go on sale with a rebate and the final price is only about $10 each. Last winter they worked fine down at single digit temperatures.

/ Cold weather lighting #4  
Just make sure you get the fixtures that are rated for cold start. The box will say that. I've been buying the Menards 4 foot T-8 fixtures when they go on sale with a rebate and the final price is only about $10 each. Last winter they worked fine down at single digit temperatures.

I got the same things last year worked well all winter until it was below 0 and then took a bit to warm em up but then aI take longer to warm up then too :D They were around 9.90 after rebates...'

/ Cold weather lighting #5  
Closest Menards to me is about 500 miles. We have Home depot and Loews but about the cheapest 2 lt T8 fixture is about $20.

I'm also thinking of changing fixtures. Right now I have 5 - 400 MH. 4 of which are low bay and 1 high bay. Everyone of them is a different kind of fixture just stuff I came up with over the years. They're mounted on a 12" ceiling in a 30x30 shop.

At the time I put these up (several years ago) this was the best thing going but now its the fluorescent. I have plenty of light but also have plenty of heat so maybe I'll think about changing next summer.:rolleyes:

/ Cold weather lighting #6  
As someone else said, t5or t8 will both work at those temps as will the old style with a cold start feature. In my shop in winter I unplug the flourescents and go with incandescent -- otherwise you could use the power meter as a fan when trying to start just about any fluorescent

/ Cold weather lighting #7  
I have some VHO florescent lights that are super bright but are now failing after about 25 years. I saw some T5 fixtures used in an aircraft hangar and was impressed with the amount of light they generate. I am thinking of making the change to T5. As was pointed out, the box lists the temperature range for the fixture. I have compared the T8 and T5 and T5 is brighter.

/ Cold weather lighting #8  
Here's a couple of links to pertinant data when comparing T-5 and T-8 lighting:

http://www.lightingassociates.org/i...s/FAQs_T8_or_T5-HO_-__Which_should_I_use_.pdf

T8 versus T5 Fluorescent: A Brief Analysis - Lighting Solutions - See the Savings. See the Light.

T5 vs T8 vs T12 Comparison - Warehouse-Lighting.com

For the lighting in my barn/shop 4 years ago, I went with 8' 4 lamp T-8 fixtures. Each fixture has 4 4' tubes. The performance in cold weather is fine. I have yet to replace a tube or ballast since installation. I use the shop daily, most days for 7-9 hours. You can replace T-12 with T-8 by replacing the ballast and tubes. T-5 are a tad shorter and require fixture replacement. I almost went with T-5 for the increase in lighting, the deciding factor for me was my ceiling height of 12'. T-5 really starts to outperform in high bay applications, not needed in mine. IMHO Mark.

Misc007.jpg

/ Cold weather lighting #9  
8' T8's make me shudder they are so thin. Even 8' T12s are scary as they are so fragile. I've broken a couple (mis)handling them over the years. The 4' bulbs and fixtures are so much cheaper and easier to get, I think the 4' T8s are a good overall solution at this point in time.

/ Cold weather lighting #10  
I also use 4' T8's (8 of them) in my 16' x 32' pole barn addition. They say for cold start right on the box. Bought mine at Walmart. I'm also going to retro fit the T12's in my 24' x 24' garage to T8's with T8 ballasts and tubes.