Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Mahindra 5010 4WD HST Cab, Mahindra 2615 Gear, Scag Tiger Cat 48", Gravely 42" ZTR, EZ GO Gas Golf Cart

Default Re: Got Approval Today on 14 ac Property Purchase

MotorSeven - Plan to stick build, would love a log home, but too much maint for a guy not getting any younger. And thanks for the cigar link.
    Obed - great view, that has to be a very relaxing place to sit back and enjoy your hard work.

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

Quote Originally Posted by bobm6996 View Post
    MotorSeven - Plan to stick build, would love a log home, but too much maint for a guy not getting any younger. And thanks for the cigar link.
    Obed - great view, that has to be a very relaxing place to sit back and enjoy your hard work.
    I will agree with you on most log homes, but you might want to kick around either cedar(red or white) or cypress logs....very little maintenance. Of course the real secret is at least a 4' overhang...full wrap porches are even better.
    Another factor is the cost...my 30x36 10' cedar log walls cost $6,400. My buddy two miles down the road stick built a 32x32 in 2x6 also 10' tall.....his cost for studs, insulation, osb, sheet rock and log siding were about $15K.
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro
    1978 Sling Blade/wood handle

Tractor
    Mahindra 5010 4WD HST Cab, Mahindra 2615 Gear, Scag Tiger Cat 48", Gravely 42" ZTR, EZ GO Gas Golf Cart

WOW, that is a significant savings. Do you have info on the company you used for your home that you could share. There are so many out there to choose from, if you were pleased with the product, service and finish I would definitely like to look into this further. Both of us have always wanted a log home and based on your comments maybe it is possible. Interesting, just noticed you live in Hancock county and do I, only its Indiana. My wife was raised in Morristown, TN (Hamlin county, I think), if it were not for our kids and grandkids we would move there in a heartbeat, it is God's country. Still have relatives there and get to visit once or twice a year.
    Are there pictures on TBN of your home?

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

Bob....not only pic's but a 85 page thread on the entire build. The Eastern Red Cedar Logs are all 6x6x8' long and flat on all sides. At the time(last June they were $20 a log(cant), and I see they have gone up in price to $24ea...still not too bad. Depending on the size of your house, most likely they will all fit on one 18 wheeler. They came from Grant Cedar Mill in Gordonsville just East of Nashville. Rafters and beams were cut by me on my mill, but a local miller could do that for you.

Grant Cedar Mill:
    Lumber

You will need a few pot's of coffee to get through the thread:
    http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/p...ct-begins.html

I am 40min from Morristown, and yes I would not live anywhere else in the world Your welcome to take a look at my house next time you are here. I have not tallied up the material cost, but I am guessing about $90-100K turn key. That includes the new 1/3'd mile driveway, basement dig, septic & well which were all hired out.

Also, a buddy of mine(4 miles away) just had a local contractor build his log home out of White Cedar tongue & groove logs. They came out of upstate NY I think and he got a heck of a deal on them. Times are hard and good prices can be had on logs if you shop around. His house looks like one you would see in Colorado, a modified A frame/ski lodge style. I think his came in around $180K turn key.
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro
    1978 Sling Blade/wood handle

Tractor
    Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.

Good for you
    Felt the same way 8 years ago when escrow closed on my 10-acre spread.

Tractor
    Oliver 1855, Case 1840, Cub 1550

Congrats on your new purchase and adventure. It will be hard work, but very rewarding!
    Dave

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12