Default Best Way to Rake Leaves

No rake needed!

John Deere 4210 (28 HP) FEL, BH, 6' Box Blade, Loader Forks

At Home In the Woods

Gold Member
    Tractor
    None (yet)

Default Re: Best Way to Rake Leaves

Exactly. Mow 'em and mulch 'em in place!

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    2012 John Deere 3520 Deluxe Cab

And if you dont have woods to blow them in, just keep mowing in circles till its in one big pile.

Tractor
    International 2500a with Loader

i start in the middle and blow out toward wood line.keep going in a circle and blow toward the outside.

Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

Quote Originally Posted by Stick895 View Post
    Exactly. Mow 'em and mulch 'em in place!
    I didn't mulch them. I just blew them out into the woods.
    Obed

At Home In the Woods

Tractor
    John Deere 4210 FEL BH

Quote Originally Posted by shortthrow50 View Post
    And if you dont have woods to blow them in, just keep mowing in circles till its in one big pile.
    That's basically the way I did the leaves at my previous house. I would blow the leaves into windrows and then pile them into the bed of my truck. I would dump them into a compost pile in a back corner of the yard. Now that we live in the woods, I can skip the second step and just blow the leaves into the woods. I don't ever have to get off the mower.
    Obed

At Home In the Woods

Tractor
    Kubota L3940

Quote Originally Posted by Obed View Post
    I didn't mulch them. I just blew them out into the woods.
    Obed
    Actually you are mulching some of the leaves as you mow them and that is great for your grass. It improves the soil and fertilizes the grass all at the same time. You are multitasking without getting off the mower. Its great. Rick

Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

I started doing this exact same thing this year. I bought a Toro push mower, it is the personal pace recycler model and mulches very well. I've "mowed" my lawn 3 times so far since the leaves started falling, I walk very slow with the mower and it mulches the leaves up to small bits. The lawn looks great when I'm done and it's supposedly good for the lawn. Best thing is, I don't have to touch that darned rake anymore!
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (best attachment ever!) QA front forks, rear forks, Brown 472 HD Rotary Mower, Land Pride RBT4096 hydro blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, homemade 3 pt log splitter, Land Pride rake/blade combo, Land Pride HRL 3578 box blade (Hydro scarifiers), Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, 6" Vermeer PTO Chipper (Hydro feed), Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 portable sawmill
    Rear Remotes Install

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Back when I lived in the city and used a push mower with mulching blade to mow with, I used it with a bagger to gather the leaves. It mulched them down pretty good, then put them in the bag. I dumped the bag into the wifes flower bed and around bushes for mulch. Good for the plants and keep in the moisture and kept down the weeds and grass.
    Now I just let them blow around all winter, dont have many trees that shed leaves, and in spring, they all get mulched up what isnt blown into the next county.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    1949 Ford 8N

I like to mow/chop leaves into the bagger attachment on the rear of the riding mower. Then I drive to various natural areas I have in the yard where I dump them out for mulch. I never have to buy mulch. Other times I use the riding mower as a mulcher and blow the chopped leaves toward one area of the yard to either be gotten up later or use the mower to blow in one direction into the natural areas and edges. Sometimes I can drive in circles to make a big center pile (CLOCKWISE - deck discharges to the right) or outside piles around the edges of the yard (COUNTER CLOCKWISE), and sometimes I have to drive forward and backward to blow them to one side of the yard. I’m thinking about making a shoot/tube to attach from the mower deck to blow the leaves into my little garden trailer which would hold a lot more leaves than my rear bagger does.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast