Building the small toolshed bunkhouse...trailer it to the site.

/ Building the small toolshed bunkhouse...trailer it to the site. #1  

rasman57

I wanted a place to sleep and keep tools and such while working on my Michigan hunting property. Eventually we will have a small cabin and this project gives me storage and some basic indoor sleeping comfort year round. No power or water yet but it is super insulated and can almost be heated with a couple candles. It is 12 by 16 to stay under the 200 square foot threshhold for permits but it is built better than many "cabins" you see in the area.

The idea was to pre build as much as possible at home in the garage where the tools, power and supplies were and then safely transport and final assemble on site. It took some planning and was finished on the property with the a genset, air comp and hand tools.

2x6 framed treated deck built 12 inch on center and insulated. Decked with 3/4 inch decking then the 12 by 16 deck was carefully reinforced and cut into two pieces for transport. Without question, the toughest part of the entire project was the loadout of the decks, walls and material for a single trip using a flat open trailer and my old pickup! It took some real planning and securing of the load.

Walls were built traditional house framing style with 2x6's and framed small slider windows for later installation. The two gable ends were a bit of a challenge but careful framing and cutting allowed for transport. The rear wall was built in two pieces and stacked on top for install. The front was also designed to be transported in the bed of my old pickup along with lots of other stuff! Between the truck and my open trailer tugged behind the motorhome, we were a full load!

Once on site and the deck site prepared, structural decking blocks used for deck projects were set and care taken to ensure level. The blocks have the recessed cross formed in them as they are mfg. so it was important to allow the deck to match the layout so each frame met the insert properly.

Once those 12 blocks were set it was straightforward. Secure the two deck bases together and build the walls normally. The rafters were precut at home along with the ridge. I used a 8/12 pitch too help shed snow and give the inside open ceiling a bigger room feel.

The roof decking had been precut at home and numbered for easy install at the site. Saved a lot of time and waste at the site. Shingled with a continuous ridge vent and full vents under the eaves in the soffits.

Pre primed cedar was later transported up and my wife finished stained the entire thing in a weekend after we hung the windows and door.

I prebuilt a 12 x 6 treated deck out of 2x6 for a small porch again at home and transported it later. It is also on several structural blocks and two 4x4 posts secured in the sandy soil.

I am finishing the inside of the small work are with plywood and two bunks are being built. I will post some pictures of that next for to see.

I was able to use my old Allis Chalmers D-14 (1960) tractor and old Case 580 CK Backhoe to do all of the site prep and heavy stuff.

View attachment 286413

Attachments

• 477.jpg
    477.jpg
    396.8 KB · Views: 534
  • 478.jpg
    478.jpg
    582.7 KB · Views: 229
  • 479.jpg
    479.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 274
  • 485.jpg
    485.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 191
  • 489.jpg
    489.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 260
  • 491.jpg
    491.jpg
    628 KB · Views: 201
  • 494.jpg
    494.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 332
  • 496.jpg
    496.jpg
    411.2 KB · Views: 278
  • 502.jpg
    502.jpg
    499.1 KB · Views: 262
  • 472.jpg
    472.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 270
  • 2012-10-06_09-01-57_990.jpg
    2012-10-06_09-01-57_990.jpg
    790.6 KB · Views: 422
  • 471.jpg
    471.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 209
  • 503.jpg
    503.jpg
    518.2 KB · Views: 248
  • 504.jpg
    504.jpg
    395.8 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
   / Building the small toolshed bunkhouse...trailer it to the site.
A few more shots. The MOST important step in the entire process was to level the site well enough to allow the blocks to be level. My friend Kris testing the roof on a break from work! We were really proud of the effort and took a hero photo of the level! Start level and you can build level and plumb. If not then it makes each step more difficult. 512.jpg510.jpg474.jpg477.jpg481.jpg508.jpg

/ Building the small toolshed bunkhouse...trailer it to the site. #3  
Show off... :)

Nice looking "shed" and great job!

I am curious what your hard cash layout was.

/ Building the small toolshed bunkhouse...trailer it to the site. #5  
Welcom Nice little cabin!:thumbsup:

Dave

/ Building the small toolshed bunkhouse...trailer it to the site. #6  
Very nice build!! But I have to ask why, since you already have a house on wheels? ;)

After 35 years of backpacking, tent camping and sleeping on the ground, the motorhome was my "retirement" ride. The plan is to keep it a bit longer until the real cabin is finally built. We do usually stay in it during the season but once the temp drops water and plumbing will freeze so I was back to the rear of the pickup or tent! It is also impossible to ease into the woods with a 33 foot camper when it snows!! Now I can warm up the little bunkhouse and be dry and extend the season to year round. Me and the English Setter enjoyed the bunkhouse for Grouse hunting season a couple weeks ago.... The wife is waiting for the inside to be a little more "complete" !

My old 69 Case 580 CK does it all! Including the table top for making coffee!

Attachments

• 049.JPG
    049.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 210
  • 074.jpg
    074.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 393
  • 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    458.2 KB · Views: 499
Hey Bilko here is a shot of my old 39 Allis Chalmers B before she went up north to get real dirty and enjoy the woods!. Old crank start with my woods belly mower for the food plots. She smokes a bit but still going strong after 70 years. Great little workhorse tractor that Allis introduced to replace the horse for the regular small farmer. Still lots and lots of them going strong and not just parade tractors!

Attachments

• 043.JPG
    043.JPG
    185 KB · Views: 238
  • 042.JPG
    042.JPG
    224.1 KB · Views: 293
   / Building the small toolshed bunkhouse...trailer it to the site. #9  
Nice work -- I am a big fan of building like this (modular style). I have done something similar before, and will do it for the shed at my new property. I like the idea that I can do the bulk of the framing at my current home, where I have a nice flat garage floor to work on and all my air/power tools. Then trailer the wall frames to the site and put them up with hand tools.

One difference is that I also sheath the walls when they are built, which squares them up. I leave a nailing flange at the bottom of all walls, to nail to the floor frame, and two of the walls have end flanges to mate up with the other two walls.

/ Building the small toolshed bunkhouse...trailer it to the site. #10  
Should have sided it with gingerbread and icing, looks like something out of a fairy tale.