Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26
  1. #11
    Platinum Member Dr Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    849
    Location
    sioux city, ia
    Tractor
    Oliver 1855, Case 1840, Cub 1550

    Default Re: Flooring Underlayment

    Menards and Home Depot have roles of a dimpled plastic product that you lay down first, plywood on top, it is not secured. It works like the drylock panels, but cheaper.

    Dave

  2. #12
    Silver Member Milo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    222
    Location
    Preston County, WV
    Tractor
    Kubota B7500, JD X310, Polaris Ranger 500

    Default Re: Flooring Underlayment

    Rather than go to all the expense of raising the floor I would just install a vapor barrier then lay down one of the premium (thicker) sound deadening, insulating, underlayments and choose one of the thicker, maybe 8mm+ laminates. Then make whatever kind of transition pieces necessary for where the laminate terminates or meets another surface.

  3. #13
    Veteran Member KennyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,152
    Location
    SW Michigan
    Tractor
    John Deere 2320

    Default Re: Flooring Underlayment

    I've used dri-core and it's great, but the OP said he only wanted 1/2". Isn't all the dri-core thicker than that? I would test the floor for dampness by taping down plastic for a day or two and seeing if it's significantly wet. If not, I would just put down a layer of cushioning underlayment and let the laminate float on that.

  4. #14
    Platinum Member B7510HSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    583
    Location
    Long Beach Wa.
    Tractor
    Kubota

    Default Re: Flooring Underlayment

    Thanks for all the ideas guys I'll check them all out and try to figure out what will work the best! I need 1/2" as the rest of the floor will also be laminate!

  5. #15
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,586
    Location
    Olalla WA, Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

    Default Re: Flooring Underlayment

    Quote Originally Posted by B7510HSD View Post
    Thanks for all the ideas guys I'll check them all out and try to figure out what will work the best! I need 1/2" as the rest of the floor will also be laminate!
    I just did a whole basement (1200SF) with laminate. It was very uneven, lots of cracks, and in a moist subgrade area. Checked all levels and determined high spots. Highest point became the reerence level. Prep: Used a cup shaped carbide concrete grinder in a 6" anglehead grinder to remove all paint and previous tile cement, gouged out all the cracks with a diamond saw blade in power hand saw, filled with epoxy patch,and put a layer of drywall fiberglass tape over all cracks embedded in epoxy. Finish: Went to a contractor specialty supply (the big box stores do not have the big sacks) and bought a pallet full of high grade self leveling underlayment. Installed a piece of ripped lumber (thickness based on reference level) at each door (5)and Rolled down a coat of masonry latex bonding agent. Mixed underlayment per instructions (water is critical measurement) and poured in place one room at a time. A small bull fload works well to consolidate and spread around. After curing of underlayment rolled down a heavy coat of asphalt waterproofing emulsion, put down a 15# asphalt roof felt in the emulsion and put two coats on top. After that cured I layed the floating laminate floor on top. Turned out beutiful. total material including laminate was less than $1.5K. Costco was closing out laminate at 50% off which helped on the cost.

    Depending on your conditions; some of the above steps can be bypassed. I had the worse of all conditions to mess with.
    I would not hire out to do this for someone else for less than $3K labor cost.

    Ron

  6. #16
    Platinum Member B7510HSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    583
    Location
    Long Beach Wa.
    Tractor
    Kubota

    Default Re: Flooring Underlayment

    Quote Originally Posted by Tractor Seabee View Post
    I just did a whole basement (1200SF) with laminate. It was very uneven, lots of cracks, and in a moist subgrade area. Checked all levels and determined high spots. Highest point became the reerence level. Prep: Used a cup shaped carbide concrete grinder in a 6" anglehead grinder to remove all paint and previous tile cement, gouged out all the cracks with a diamond saw blade in power hand saw, filled with epoxy patch,and put a layer of drywall fiberglass tape over all cracks embedded in epoxy. Finish: Went to a contractor specialty supply (the big box stores do not have the big sacks) and bought a pallet full of high grade self leveling underlayment. Installed a piece of ripped lumber (thickness based on reference level) at each door (5)and Rolled down a coat of masonry latex bonding agent. Mixed underlayment per instructions (water is critical measurement) and poured in place one room at a time. A small bull fload works well to consolidate and spread around. After curing of underlayment rolled down a heavy coat of asphalt waterproofing emulsion, put down a 15# asphalt roof felt in the emulsion and put two coats on top. After that cured I layed the floating laminate floor on top. Turned out beutiful. total material including laminate was less than $1.5K. Costco was closing out laminate at 50% off which helped on the cost.

    Depending on your conditions; some of the above steps can be bypassed. I had the worse of all conditions to mess with.
    I would not hire out to do this for someone else for less than $3K labor cost.

    Ron
    Wow sounds like alot of work!! This is new concrete it was an add on 22'x10' to the existing older house...and it is above grade so other than the moisture in the concrete it shouldn't have a water problem..

  7. #17
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,586
    Location
    Olalla WA, Kitsap Peninsula, West of Seattle
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

    Default Re: Flooring Underlayment

    Quote Originally Posted by B7510HSD View Post
    Wow sounds like alot of work!! This is new concrete it was an add on 22'x10' to the existing older house...and it is above grade so other than the moisture in the concrete it shouldn't have a water problem..
    It was a lot of work. For the underlayment go to Addison Supply in Tacoma. They are great and will help you with the details. I have been using them for 10 years.
    Get the latex bonder at Loews as it is cheaper and comes in gallons.

    Ron

  8. #18
    Bronze Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    70
    Location
    Dayton, Pa
    Tractor
    Power Trac 425

    Default Re: Flooring Underlayment

    if your floor is fairly level, just use some 1/2" hardy backer? 100% water proof and it lays flat. Lowes and Home Depot usually carry it. Since you are using laminate flooring, no need to cement or fasten in place

  9. #19
    Super Member clemsonfor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    7,762
    Location
    Greenwood Co., SC
    Tractor
    Yanmar YM2000

    Default Re: Flooring Underlayment

    I would never use Laminate. I know 2 people with it. One is super cheap stuff. Its chipped at edges and is "blown up" where water sat on it unnoticed and then the "sticker" for the fake wood wore off. The other couple has what they call cheap laminate. To me its not really that cheap, was something like $3-4 sqft. It was real wood veneer adheared to like 3/8 ply. The finish is worn off in high traffic areas after like 3 years or so.

    Now i dont deny that some of the stuff looks good and will last, but the good stuff costs more than real hardwood??

    I laid solid 3/4" hardwood 3.5" wide planks in my home in a room that i redid the floor in. If memory serves me right i paid i think Around $3.50sq/ft give or take $0.20? Yes i had to finish it but thats really not that hard if you can stay off of it for a week or so.
    YM2000. MF dirt scoop,4' Jbar bushhog,boompole, LMC 12-16 disk harrow, 4' Atlas boxblade (with rippers). 1980 chevy K10,1990 ford ranger 2wd (285K miles),1997 saturn SL2 (twin cam!!),2001Toyota Higlander
    1986 Cobia 177 sunskiff w/1981 Johnson 60 hp
    1991 Javalen 17ft w/same year 150 Johnson GT
    Troybuilt 4 cycle & Echo 2 stroke,cold natured(need carb rebuild),MS390 Stihl, Northern tool pressure washer, mixes water into the oil in the pump(now dead, motor on a tiller). 5000 watt generator.

  10. #20
    Super Member radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,739
    Location
    Ontario, NY
    Tractor
    Kubota BX24

    Default Re: Flooring Underlayment

    I saw a show where holmes for homes took blue foam board and used that to insulate the concrete basement floor and installed 3/4 plywood on top. He used tapcon screws to hold all this down. This is obviously much thicker then OP needs, but it gives you the idea that tapcons should be ok. If you dont have water issues, and once the floor is in, you really dont need to worry about rust of screws - it probably will last 20 years or more and still hold.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. felt or synthetic underlayment for metal roof
    By 2manyrocks in forum Projects
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 02-28-2011, 06:48 PM
  2. Crushed asphalt driveway with carpet underlayment
    By GilSilvers in forum Projects
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-18-2011, 08:41 PM
  3. Flooring Nailer
    By ElDorado in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 11-04-2010, 06:38 PM
  4. underlayment for gravel parking area/soiltac
    By JohnnyDark in forum Projects
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-26-2007, 08:32 PM
  5. using sand as an underlayment for a flat lawn
    By ccdck20hst in forum Projects
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-07-2006, 11:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2016 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.