Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tractor
    Kubota B7510HSD

Default Re: Flooring Underlayment

Thanks guys just got back from the Depot and couldn't find anybody that knew much in the floor department!

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    JD 950

Quote Originally Posted by B7510HSD View Post
    Thanks guys just got back from the Depot and couldn't find anybody that knew much in the floor department!
    There's a shock for you.

I was in commercial construction for many years, and what you want to do could actually be quite a challenge, given time and budgets. One could always thin-set some cementatious underlayment down to the existing conc. Gluing plywood down always became an issue of de lamination. I would think about using a thicker pre-finished engineered wood plank flooring, and gluing it down. That would gain you a lot of elevation. It would also not sound hollow like laminate often does.

I would also consider buying my material from someplace like Valley Floors in Kent. Their price should be about the same as HD, and people like Jim or Gene should be able to give you a pointer or two about how to handle your height problem.

Tractor
    Kubota B7510HSD

Quote Originally Posted by Rock knocker View Post
    There's a shock for you.

I was in commercial construction for many years, and what you want to do could actually be quite a challenge, given time and budgets. One could always thin-set some cementatious underlayment down to the existing conc. Gluing plywood down always became an issue of de lamination. I would think about using a thicker pre-finished engineered wood plank flooring, and gluing it down. That would gain you a lot of elevation. It would also not sound hollow like laminate often does.

I would also consider buying my material from someplace like Valley Floors in Kent. Their price should be about the same as HD, and people like Jim or Gene should be able to give you a pointer or two about how to handle your height problem.
    Thanks I will try and swing by there in the next week!!

Tractor
    Kioti DK 40-Massey ferguson 135-Ventrac 4500 Diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Rock knocker View Post
    There's a shock for you.

Thats the floor I had done in my kitchen and great room.The floor has varying widths and lenths like old barn wood.
    Murph ------------

Tractor
    Kubota L4330

Make sure you use a moisture meter to check the moisture level in the concrete slab before you lay down a new floor and make sure the moisture level in the slab is within allowable levels of whatever floor you end up putting down. Do this even if you isolate the slab with a vapor barrier.

I have seen some bad results when people didn't let the slabs dry out enough.

Fresh concrete has a surprising amount of water in it and it needs to go somewhere as it cures. It takes more than a few days as well. You don't want all that moisture ending up in a brand new floor with no way to dry out.
    Fine Homebuildng(the magazine) had an article About Prepping A concrete slab for wood floors. Might be worth a google search.

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D HST 4WD FEL/BH

If you are OK with a "low-sloping" transition from one height to the other, they make a wedge-shaped rubber transition strip that is designed to be glued to the slab. Then you can put whatever you want over it, like glue-down carpet, laminate, hardwood, even VCT.

It comes in various widths and thicknesses but you would need to go to a flooring installation supplier to find it.
    New Holland Workmaster 45 2WD Gear
    Massey Ferguson 240
    New Holland TC40D HST 4WD
    NewHolland 16LA FEL
    Woods BH 70-X Sub-frame Backhoe
    Troybuilt Super Bronco w/42" mower
    Husqvarna DRT 900 Tiller
    Ariens 6.5 HP String Mower
    Husqvarna HU625WT String Mower

3 point hitch attachments:
    single plow, double plow, 5' & 6' deck mower, tiller, 2 cultivators, planter, fertilizer spreader, disk set, sprayer, and a few homemade attachments

30 acres, 15 acres, 5 acres

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123