Aerating before liming fields?

/ Aerating before liming fields? #1  

Matthewf13

Hi guys,

What do you all think about aerating before you lime? Good? Bad?

/ Aerating before liming fields? #2  
I don't think it's necessary but it wouldn't hurt either. Is it a plug or spike type?

/ Aerating before liming fields? #4  
If you are for sure going to use it I think I'd do it soon after the lime. It might push a little lime in the soil as you go. Maybe?

/ Aerating before liming fields? #5  
Lime translocates downward thru the soil very slowly. With a spiker type areator, you will probably get the best results by areating first and then spreadng the lime. This method should allow some of the lime to be deposited down in the holes. Rain will wash even more into the soil. Type and aggregate size of the lime will determine the effectivness of the product. Agr grade lime is usually coarse, around 80-90 mesh and provides a slow reaction time to the soil. Bagged lime is usually finer grind, up to 200 mesh and provides a faster reaction time. Everytime the particle size of the lime is cut in half, you quadruple the effectivness of the lime. Surface applied lime will only effect about the top 15% of the soil layer the first year. Anything you do to get the lime past the top one inch surface of the soil will be a plus to anything that is growing there. Maybe I should add, will be a plus to the plants growing there if you really need the lime in the first place.

/ Aerating before liming fields? #7  
Lime translocates downward thru the soil very slowly. With a spiker type areator, you will probably get the best results by areating first and then spreadng the lime.
I agree. I core aereate and then lime/winter fertilize every fall and it seems to work well.