Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

Default Re: Moving Soil - Any Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by MBTRAC View Post
    A 3PL single tyne ripper/pipelayer should handle cutting through roots & breaking mounds that your box blade can then level.

Also rather than renting a dump trailer if there's at least a day's work, when you factor in the hire of the trailer + un/hitching & loading ..etc. if you have another "operator" I'd be more inclined to rent a self propelled mini off road dumper c.3-5T (there as easy as any ZTR mower to drive ) & should be around $300/day ( for speed I prefer the wheels than tracks, I've an 8WD Yanmar 2T "toy", it will climb mountains & cart @10mph all day), the link below details what I'm referring to & in the event there's none for hire locally by you might be able to negotiate hire of one nearby that's for sale:-.
    http://www.machinerytrader.com/list/...nSearch=Search
    Quote Originally Posted by KYDan View Post
    I have similar issues with some of the ground I am renovating. I had a standard box blade and it didn't work very well for my projects either. I bought a 6' Dirt Dog rollover blade that allows me to use the shanks with the weight of the box on top of them without grading. The box weighs 800 Lbs. and it cuts through all but really large roots. If I hit boulders I dig them out with the bucket. I use my electrically powered dump trailer behind my pickup to haul the dirt and dump it. It is a slow process, but it works.
    More good ideas, thanks! I'll look into both, just not sure whether I can rent an off-road dumper locally but I'll ask around. As for the rollover blade, I had looked at these prior to purchasing my BB last year with my tractor. I should have gone this route as it really seems to be a better tool for the job.
    2011 Kubota MX5100, BH92, BH BB72, Walco Bush Hog and Snowblower, Wallenstein 310 Splitter & Forks

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota MX5100

Quote Originally Posted by MBTRAC View Post
    A 3PL single tyne ripper/pipelayer should handle cutting through roots & breaking mounds that your box blade can then level.

Also rather than renting a dump trailer if there's at least a day's work, when you factor in the hire of the trailer + un/hitching & loading ..etc. if you have another "operator" I'd be more inclined to rent a self propelled mini off road dumper c.3-5T (there as easy as any ZTR mower to drive ) & should be around $300/day ( for speed I prefer the wheels than tracks, I've an 8WD Yanmar 2T "toy", it will climb mountains & cart @10mph all day), the link below details what I'm referring to & in the event there's none for hire locally by you might be able to negotiate hire of one nearby that's for sale:-.
    http://www.machinerytrader.com/list/...nSearch=Search
    Quote Originally Posted by KYDan View Post
    I have similar issues with some of the ground I am renovating. I had a standard box blade and it didn't work very well for my projects either. I bought a 6' Dirt Dog rollover blade that allows me to use the shanks with the weight of the box on top of them without grading. The box weighs 800 Lbs. and it cuts through all but really large roots. If I hit boulders I dig them out with the bucket. I use my electrically powered dump trailer behind my pickup to haul the dirt and dump it. It is a slow process, but it works.
    More good ideas, thanks! I'll look into both, just not sure whether I can rent an off-road dumper locally but I'll ask around. As for the rollover blade, I had looked at these prior to purchasing my BB last year with my tractor. I should have gone this route as it really seems to be a better tool for the job.
    2011 Kubota MX5100, BH92, BH BB72, Walco Bush Hog and Snowblower, Wallenstein 310 Splitter & Forks

Tractor
    01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8

Kyle,

Faced with similar tree roots and rocks in the tight areas a landscaper friend of mine had a small Hino truck with 4WD was able to navigate pretty much anywhere a tractor would go..

Also, if you are going to rent a dump trailer like from nations rent they are $60 a day, and I would suggest to rent a small tractor $225 a day to pull the trailer so you dont have to swap all the time. You would be out about $300 for a day roughly.

A third option would be to remove your BH and get a rear dirt scoop $600+- - make a pile with your FEL, load the dirt scoop then the FEL full and you should be able to move about 3/4 yard in one load.
    Rear Three Point Hitch Tractor Mounted Dirt Scoop Bucket

This would enable you to move a reasonable quantity then level at the same time. Probably 15 minutes a load including transport time or about 3 yards an hour.
    Kubota B21TLB, Ferris IS2000, Cub Cadet 1811

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12