Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Bronze Member

Default Re: Two Pole Barns, one new and one to renovate

Nail a 2x horizontally across each post, so when the post is stood in the hole, it "floats" six inches above the bottom. Once the post is "stood" in the hole, with a couple of temporary braces, it allows for the post to be adjusted at the base quite easily - merely by adjusting the location of the horizontal brace. It also allows the concrete backfill around the posts to flow beneath the base of the columns, making for a nice solid base which will resist both settling and uplift.

Tractor
    Kubota L3940

I am making some progress with putting in my posts. I figure I will get most of them done by tomorrow. The tractor is a big help holding the posts while I get them straight and back filled with concrete and dirt. Here are pictures from yesterday and today.

-img_1573-small-jpg -img_1574-small-jpg -img_1575-small-jpg -img_1577-small-jpg

Tractor
    Kubota L3940

I will be getting the rest of the posts in the ground today and was going to start putting the girts on. It will be at least another week or two before I can get the roof trusses in and put up. How much bracing of the posts do I have to keep to keep the posts from bending as they dry out before the roof trusses go up? Some of the 2x4's that I got for girts are now being used as bracing. I was trying figure out how many of the 2x that I am using as braces I can use or whether I should leave them all until the roof trusses are up tying everything together. Thanks for your help. Rick

Tractor
    Kubota L3940

Making more progress on the barn. I got the 2 x 10's attached to the posts on one side of the barn. Most of the girts are attached to that side and the end of the barn. The weather men are calling for rain tonight into tomorrow morning so I covered up some areas to reduce the making of mud. I also put some gravel down just to keep the clay from sticking to my feet when it gets wet. I will put more down after I get the roof trusses up. My wife has given me the ok to put in a concrete floor instead of just gravel. yeah.
    Here are some picture of what I have gotten done this week. Rick

-img_1593-small-jpg -img_1596-small-jpg -img_1597-small-jpg -img_1598-small-jpg -img_1599-small-jpg

Tractor
    Mahindra 2615 hst fel, bh

Good looking job so far. Never too much bracing until trusses are tied in. You will have to be up on top and moving around quite a bit to get it completed. If one gets in the way just move it or remove it. Much more comfortable working on a good steady frame and safer too! Keep up the nice work you will be proud in the end.

Tractor
    Bobcat

It sounds like you are coming along nicely with your building. Great looking property and appears to be sloping which creates challenges. If you need advise let me know, always happy to help.

Tractor
    Kubota L3940

I need some help. The trusses were delivered the other day and I am beginning to think ahead to the job of putting them up. One thing I have a question about is how to temporarily brace them until I get the purlins on and the permanent bracing on. The trusses will be going on 4 foot centers. Should I cut some 4 foot 2x4's to connect a truss to the previous truss and then after I get a few up start putting some 16 foot purlins on along with other permanent bracing. Any help that anyone can give will be greatly appreciated. Rick

Tractor
    Jinma 254/284 Ford 861 Powermaster at work

To lift trusses I made a 12' pole out of a piece of 3" I Beam with a welded hook on one end. Its attached to a quick attach plate and I use my FEL to lift them. Simply walk the truss in next to the poles then position the tractor to lift it.

I have used it on 14' walls so your 10' should be no issue.

Chris

Tractor
    Kubota L3940

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondpilot View Post
    To lift trusses I made a 12' pole out of a piece of 3" I Beam with a welded hook on one end. Its attached to a quick attach plate and I use my FEL to lift them. Simply walk the truss in next to the poles then position the tractor to lift it.

I have used it on 14' walls so your 10' should be no issue.

Chris
    I was going to attach a 10 foot 4x4 or 4x6 to my forks with a hook at the end and use that to pick up the trusses. The truss spec sheet says they weigh only 175 lbs. Do you think that this is strong enough? Rick

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kioti DK45SE Hst

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Rick View Post
    I was going to attach a 10 foot 4x4 or 4x6 to my forks with a hook at the end and use that to pick up the trusses. The truss spec sheet says they weigh only 175 lbs. Do you think that this is strong enough? Rick
    I did something similar. Sort of quick-n-dirty Rube Goldberg crane setup but it worked for hoisting beams 16' high when building my barn (separate thread here on TBN).
    A 4x4 will snap without a chain/cable to hold it diagonally. Here are a few pics.

-imag0553-jpg

-imag0564-jpg

-imag0578-jpg
    Kioti DK45SE HST w/ backhoe, forks, PHD, box blade, chipper. Living off-grid, Listeroid 6/1 backup, masonry stove, thermal mass H2O storage
    "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temp Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin, 1775
    "The 2nd Amendment is the RESET button of the US Constitution"

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast