wahsboarding driveway

/ wahsboarding driveway #1  

94BULLITT

Tractor
yes
What causes a driveway to washboard?

/ wahsboarding driveway #3  
Rain on off camber areas and vehicles accelerating or slowing from/to a choke point.

/ wahsboarding driveway #4  
What causes a driveway to washboard?

Are you referring to the "washboard" effect on straight, flat semi-soft surfaces or hilly gravel lanes etc?

[just my observations and experience]

the former is usually caused by the dynamic action of a vehicle (on tires) and speed where the latter is often caused by run-off creating one or more minor "dips" that eventually induces a rhythm of a moving vehicle that compounds and expands the issue

/ wahsboarding driveway
Thanks for all of the fast replies.

Thanks for the link. It has been dry here. I thought that speed was a factor and the link said you need to go 3mph or less. I have some people who fly in my drive way.

Rain on off camber areas and vehicles accelerating or slowing from/to a choke point.
I am not exactly sure about the what you mean about rain on of camber area's. Do you mean water washing across?
Are you referring to the "washboard" effect on straight, flat semi-soft surfaces or hilly gravel lanes etc?

[just my observations and experience]

the former is usually caused by the dynamic action of a vehicle (on tires) and speed where the latter is often caused by run-off creating one or more minor "dips" that eventually induces a rhythm of a moving vehicle that compounds and expands the issue
It is a straight portion. I have not seen water running on that portion of the driveway.

/ wahsboarding driveway #6  
In my limited experience vehicles cause this. You could install 21a pug mill stone compact it properly and solve this for a while but it will come back. Surface treating or paving are two ways to solve the problem

/ wahsboarding driveway
Buppies said:
In my limited experience vehicles cause this. You could install 21a pug mill stone compact it properly and solve this for a while but it will come back. Surface treating or paving are two ways to solve the problem

What do you mean by surface treating?

/ wahsboarding driveway #8  
Prime and double seal or tar and gravel. There are three coats involved. Tar is crs-2 applied at rates of .30 gal per square yard, .35 gal per square yard, final coat .35 gal psy. Stone at30 lbs of 68s,35 lbs of 78s, 35 lbs of # 8 s. this would solve wash boarding

/ wahsboarding driveway
Buppies said:
Prime and double seal or tar and gravel. There are three coats involved. Tar is crs-2 applied at rates of .30 gal per square yard, .35 gal per square yard, final coat .35 gal psy. Stone at30 lbs of 68s,35 lbs of 78s, 35 lbs of # 8 s. this would solve wash boarding

Sounds like that would definately solve washboarding.