Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M6800 w/1600 hrs., Case Farmall 95 w/800 hrs., Long 2510 w/1100 hrs, Cat 236B2 Skidsteer w/1000 hrs

Default Re: 1/2 mile of fence

Quote Originally Posted by MBTRAC View Post
    Nice job - fencing is always "hard yakka"
    Interesting way you've braced the strainers/corners & run the wire rathet tensioners.
    This is something that I decided to try acouple of years ago and it has worked really well. In the past I have used the 4ga galvanized wire & twisted it with a stick to tighten the corners and over time it always seems to loosen or break. Since I have been using the high tensile wire for the braces I haven't had any problems with breaking & it is easy to tighten if it gets loose. Since I have been using the ratchet tensioners & high tensile wire I have not had to go back & tighten a corner more than once.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M6800 w/1600 hrs., Case Farmall 95 w/800 hrs., Long 2510 w/1100 hrs, Cat 236B2 Skidsteer w/1000 hrs

Quote Originally Posted by EddieWalker View Post
    Very nice. I really like how bulked up your corners are!!!

Eddie
    The corners are old light poles that were taken down during the ice storm about 3 years ago. There were lots of broken poles in this area & the electric companies gave them away to get rid of them. All of the wooden psots are set a minimum of 4' deep. The ones along the deeper part of the drainage ditch are set 5.5' deep. This floods sometimes in the fall & usually in the spring so I wanted the post deep enough that they weren't going to be push ober from the moving water.

Tractor
    Kub - 2K6, B7800

Thanks for the pictures
    ** Kubota **

Psalms 86
    John 1:12-13

Duraflap / Kaydenco not worth a hoot for service or products.

"Google" is a proper noun, not a verb.

If you mean what you say, then say what you mean, or just don't say anything

Tractor
    2011 LS R3039

Quote Originally Posted by Timm250 View Post
    No rocks. This is bottom land. In some places after you get down about 5' there is a lot of small pea gravel. The largest is probably about 1-1.5"

Good job neighbor, looks great. If you need some rocks come to my place and take all you want.

Gold Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Bob77064 View Post
    Good job neighbor, looks great. If you need some rocks come to my place and take all you want.
    Thanks for the offer but I believe I'll pass on the rocks. The ridge land that I have has lots of rocks on it & some of them are too big to fit in the bed of a pickup.

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

Quote Originally Posted by Timm250 View Post
    This is something that I decided to try acouple of years ago and it has worked really well. In the past I have used the 4ga galvanized wire & twisted it with a stick to tighten the corners and over time it always seems to loosen or break. Since I have been using the high tensile wire for the braces I haven't had any problems with breaking & it is easy to tighten if it gets loose. Since I have been using the ratchet tensioners & high tensile wire I have not had to go back & tighten a corner more than once.
    I use hi ten and strainers on my braces too, although a little different set up. IMO that is the best way to go. With posts that big and that far in the ground I doubt you need them though. I tend to over build fence myself. Do it once and be done with it!

It looks really good. How did you set those monster posts?

Gold Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by DT86 View Post
    I use hi ten and strainers on my braces too, although a little different set up. IMO that is the best way to go. With posts that big and that far in the ground I doubt you need them though. I tend to over build fence myself. Do it once and be done with it!

It looks really good. How did you set those monster posts?
    I started out with a PHD on my tractor & it was taking forwever to dig a hole. It has been really dry here this summer & the ground was so hard that it would take 45+ minutes per hole. I ended up buying a hyd. PHD with a 12" auger for my skidsteer from an equipment rental place & that went really quick. It only took about 2-3 minutes per hole. Since some of the posts are 16" in diameter I had to rent an 18" auger to dig some of the corner post holes. It was $30 to rent the auger for the weekend so that wasn't too bad.

Hopefully this will be a one time build for this field.

How do you build your corners?

Tractor
    Kubota L3400, Farmall H

I haven't seen a new barb wire fence in a long time, maybe ever? We use field fence here or high tensile with a charger. I never did any cows tho, just horses and goats.

Tractor
    Kubota 9540, RTV 900 and David Brown 885.

Oh man the hydro auger is the way to do it! I'll have to get pictures of my corners and braces tomorrow. I build all hi ten fence for myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12