A Question on my Horse fence project

/ A Question on my Horse fence project #1  

MossflowerWoods

Tractor
Kioti DK50SE HST w/FEL, Gravely 60" ZTR Mower. Stihl MS290 (selling), CS261, & FS190 + Echo CS400 & 2010 F-350 6.4 PSD snowplow truck
Guys,

I have encountered an issue on my Horse Pasture fencing project... (pics are old pics of the first section of finished fence, about 380' or more).

I went to my local hardware/feed guy who has been my supplier for all of the fence I've built already, and he cannot get the poplar 5/4" x 6" x 16' boards I've been using.

They have some kind of pressure treatment he says, and they've been shipping them all to China and it will be weeks to months before he can get ANY.

They have held up well so far and given I will end up with well over 1000' of fence I was NOT planning to paint it. I need to build a 40' x 40' enlosure with runin shed/tack room, and the next 250' of fence.

He has Pine and Oak, but they are both more costly, AND they do not look the same (which will make SWMBO demand I paint them).

What to do?

I'm thinking of only doing the 40' x 40' and waiting till he can get boards.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

David

Attachments

• IMG_8835.jpg
    IMG_8835.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG-20120102-00236.jpg
    IMG-20120102-00236.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 258
   / A Question on my Horse fence project #2  
David,
You might check out MWP Supply in Madison. Their online catalog says they have 1x6x16 treated popular fence boards for $6.55 I would assume they are rough cut but you might want to call. Says they have 752 boards. They have had the best prices on posts so it has been worth the drive for me to go there for materials. I am going there on Friday to pick up some ground contact 2x6's I can go look to see what they actually measure out at if you want.
Of course all of this assumes that you want to go that far to get your fence done. Rick

/ A Question on my Horse fence project
David,
You might check out MWP Supply in Madison. Their online catalog says they have 1x6x16 treated popular fence boards for $6.55 I would assume they are rough cut but you might want to call. Says they have 752 boards. They have had the best prices on posts so it has been worth the drive for me to go there for materials. I am going there on Friday to pick up some ground contact 2x6's I can go look to see what they actually measure out at if you want.
Of course all of this assumes that you want to go that far to get your fence done. Rick

Rick,

Where is Madison (roughly)?

That is a pretty danged good deal. I've been having it delivered because my guy is only 5 miles away, and my trailer is only 12' long...

David

Rick, what's the post price? And what's their website?

Thanks again,
David

/ A Question on my Horse fence project #5  
Just out of curiosity, why do you use the treated poplar instead of decking boards? I didn't know treated poplar existed until a month ago. Forgive me for being ignorant. :eek:

DT86,

#1 I did not know they were treated until just last month when I went looking for more. They ARE weathering VERY WELL...

I bought these last Nov when I started my "Temporary Pasture" project http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...horse-pasture-fencing-advice.html#post2542957

I had just been looking for inexpensive fencing boards. I had found 1" x 6" x 16' Pine and Oak at TSC, Lowes, Home Depot, and my local guy (Homestead Hardware) and his prices for post, gates AND fence boards was better than anyone. I think most all of them were 5/4" or minimum 1" thick, and while rough cut, they were MUCH stronger looking than the "decking" boards some people use which are only 3/4" I think.

My routine is to climb the fence to get in/out of the pasture, and with 8' spans I like a sturdy board, plus it was VERY reasonably priced.

The pine were twisty, the oak were greenish (now I know they were treated, DOH!) and knotty. the poplar were smooth, straight, and clear.

They are REALLY Nice to work with I feel.

Be well,
David

/ A Question on my Horse fence project #7  
Rick,

Where is Madison (roughly)?

That is a pretty danged good deal. I've been having it delivered because my guy is only 5 miles away, and my trailer is only 12' long...
David

Hi David,
Madison is North and West of you. It is NW of Orange between Culpepper and Charlottesville on route 29 about 60+ miles from you. You could probably get wood delivered to you because when I was working up in Leesburg they delivered to us there. Their website is MWP SUPPLY INC.
To see their price go to their Catalog and look under Fencing. Online Catalog for MWP Supply Inc.
Rick

/ A Question on my Horse fence project #8  
I forgot that everything is much more expensive up your way. The prices Rick mentioned for up there I can buy 5/4" treated pine here from the local store, Berry Home Center. I usually buy from the little guys even if it is a little more, but they too beat HD and "Slowes".

I remember reading your temporary fence thread but I don't think I participated. That fence turned out good.

Here comes my shameless plug... Check out the one I recently built for a neighbor. There's a link in my signature.

I hope to be doing more of that kind of work next year. As if I don't have enough to do in the summer already. That was the big reason I asked, to see why you preferred the poplar, that is. I can get it out of Kentucky but have to buy a tractor trailer load at a time to make the price work out. So I don't think it will work for me unless I get a really big job.

I remember reading your temporary fence thread but I don't think I participated. That fence turned out good.

Here comes my shameless plug... Check out the one I recently built for a neighbor. There's a link in my signature.

I did the same! I read your thread at the time, and I don't think I replied, but it looks awesome.
Do you sharpen the end of the post before driving it in? How long do they stay stable?

Thanks,
David

/ A Question on my Horse fence project #10  
Thanks! That was my first board fence.

The only time I'll sharpen the posts is if the ground is like concrete. Those we actually used a 4" auger and then drove them. Basically it just keeps them going in straight. For a wire fence I don't even drill a hole, they drive straight enough.

Either way they are tight instantly and stay that way.