Shop stove oil drip

/ Shop stove oil drip #1  

Stihlrunner

Silver Member
After years of talking about it, I finally got the motivation to put in a waste oil drip on my shop woodstove. I don't know why I waited so long!

It works perfect and keeps the fire burning longer and much warmer!

I had an old refrigerant recovery tank that already had pipe connections on the top. Torched out the bottom and put in some screen to filter out debris. Drilled and tapped pipe thread into the top of the stove and used a steel pipe nipple. Ran that with a needle valve in copper tubing to the tank.

oil drip.JPG

/ Shop stove oil drip #3  
A good friend of mine had one on his barrel stove years ago, the barrels were made out of 40 inch heavy wall pipe. They were stacked one over the other,fire box and heat catcher on top, with the drip oiler on the firebox of course. Man that thing would put out the heat. I need to put one on my shop stove. It also was good to get the fires started. Nice job by the way. LUTT

/ Shop stove oil drip #4  
Can you elaborate more on this? Does it let out a continuous drip, can you control how much oil is put into the stove? I'm picturing just small drips and don't really understand how it can increase that much more heat with just a little oil here and there?? Your stove looks just like my shop stove, just an older version. Mine is an Englander 13

/ Shop stove oil drip
The drips can be controlled by a needle valve hooked to the nipple. You can control it from a slow drip to a steady stream.

If I have a big, slow burning piece of wood in there I crank the valve open to a steady drip and it keeps a good, roarin hot fire going without burning up the log so fast. Once the shop is heated I can turn it down to slow drips for a regular burn. When the oil is dripping on top of the log the oil is burning much more than the log is.

/ Shop stove oil drip #6  
Can you elaborate more on this? Does it let out a continuous drip, can you control how much oil is put into the stove? I'm picturing just small drips and don't really understand how it can increase that much more heat with just a little oil here and there?? Your stove looks just like my shop stove, just an older version. Mine is an Englander 13

If you have ever burned any oil in an air tight wood stove, you will come to appreciate just how much heat there is in oil! LOTS! and then MORE!

The "drips" should be called DROPS, and you don't get to control the size of the drop, just how often a drop falls. Fast enough, and you get a steady stream. which would be a lot of BTU's per hour. I can't imagine ....

One drop a second is a pretty fast clip, with one drop every two or three seconds giving a "woof, woof woof, beat to the fire if there is air enough (and there should be. )

I've seen the flow regulation valve right up close on the oil can rather than near the stove. Doesn't get so hot, easier to adjust without danger, and your flow adjustments won't vary so much as the oil pipe heats up and thins the oil. In the near stove location, there may be complications from coking. The dropper end inside the stove will coke up. You want that part serviceable. It will need rodding out from time to time. A straight section of copper tube with a flare fitting is the ticket here. About 6 inches long. If you can shroud the part sticking into the fire box, so much the better. (A tube in a tube)

The "developed" systems drop oil onto a hot plate. A cast iron fry pan works. But you then need to work out how to get wood in the stove when there is a fry pan right in front ;-)

Good Going!

/ Shop stove oil drip #7  
good job

/ Shop stove oil drip #8  
Nice job!
I used one for years and stopped a couple years ago.
I need a new oil tank. Think i'll make one and start using mine again.
I have lots of oil out back by the wood pile.
looks real nice!
Tom

/ Shop stove oil drip
Thanks for the comments, guys! A big part of my motivation was because of all the used oil I had piling up!

/ Shop stove oil drip #10  
Stihlrunner said:
Thanks for the comments, guys! A big part of my motivation was because of all the used oil I had piling up!

Looks solid and functional!

Would that set up safely burn other types of petroleum derivatives or just motor oil?

E.g, used tranny or hydraulic fluid?

Just wondering? :)

Thomas
No matter where you go; there you are...