Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    B2710

Default House voltage varying up and down

Strange problem started today. I turned on coffee pot (1500W) and lights over kitchen sink dimmed slightly. Plugged the coffee pot into a different outlet in kitchen and turned it on, this time lights got slightly BRIGHTER. Went and got my voltmeter, voltage measures 130v without the coffee pot plugged in, drops to 115v and rises to 145v depending on what outlet I plug coffee pot into. Tried same experiment using a small space heater (1500w), same results. I haven't tried every outlet in the house, but I've tried this in 3 rooms and get the same result. Any thoughts what's going on, and where I should look next?
    Kubota B2710, New Holland CM274 front mower, Toro Zmaster ZTR, Ford 908 bush hog, New Idea manure spreader, Swisher trail mower

Default Re: House voltage varying up and down

Beezfun I am not an electrician by trade, but I am sure one will chime in soon. In the meantime if it were me I would check the voltage at the main feed coming into the house to see if the problem is outside or in the house. Please be careful in the box!
    2011, JD2520, 62D MMM, 200CX loader, iMatch Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, #46 Backhoe

Veteran Member

Usually the problem is a bad common wire connection in the service panel.

Tractor
    TC-40D SS New Holland

I would check to be sure you haven't lost power on one of the two incoming hot leads. It sounds to me like you have and power may be back-feeding. The utility co should dispatch a lineman if it turns out the problem is outside of your responsibility.

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Is the voltage at the outlets varying? Or is it the main panel that is varying?
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Tractor
    05 Kioti CK30HST w/ Prairie Dog backhoe

Quote Originally Posted by Travelover View Post
    Usually the problem is a bad common wire connection in the service panel.
    Yes, the neutral splice at the service entrance or pole splice is likely bad. I have
    had this problem before. It was caused by the electric company failing to use
    dielectric paste at the meter connection. Our overhead wires are aluminum around here,
    and you can expect problems with these connections in 5-15 years, if no anti-corrosion
    paste was used. I made the utility redo all the service entrance connections and splices.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Branson 2400H

Beezfun,
    Is it windy in your area? I have had trouble here with the wind shaking wires, branches, etc which caused the voltage to fluctuate. I called the local power company and it took them two or three tries to finally eliminate the problem. Never did get find out what they fixed. My voltage would float from 96 to 125 VAC with out any load change. Like you likes would dim and go bright etc...

They checked my service to the house and it was coming from there line.

good luck
    Artificial Intelligence will never overcome natural stupidity.

Branson 2400H MMM & FEL

JD 112

BX1850 gone but not forgotten

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    B2710

I think I figured it out. On one hot leg in the service panel I have 105v, the other leg 135v. Went over to the neighbor's house, he has the same problem. We both hang off the same transformer on the pole out front, so I'm guessing that could be the problem. It's also been very windy around here the last few days (thanks oldnslo), so it's possible that's causing some of the problem. I called the power company, they're going to send someone out to check on it.

I still need someone to explain how turning on the coffee pot can cause a light to get brighter...
    Kubota B2710, New Holland CM274 front mower, Toro Zmaster ZTR, Ford 908 bush hog, New Idea manure spreader, Swisher trail mower

Tractor
    New Holland TC40D HST 4WD FEL/BH

Like dfkrug said, the problem could be with "aluminum" wire connections. Depending on your power suppliers, they may come out and check it of fix it. Then again, they may say that their responsibility ends at the splice at the weather-head.

Regardless, the connections need to be checked and this usually requires pulling the meter and this usually requires the power company.

I have seen this before and most of the time it is these types of connections.

However, has it been unusually dry in your area? I have also seen a case where the ground rod had to be watered to correct a power problem since the ground was too dry to give the house a ground. They even drove the ground to 24' deep, but since the house sat on a "sandy hill", when the weather got really dry, they had to water the ground rod.
    New Holland Workmaster 45 2WD Gear
    Massey Ferguson 240
    New Holland TC40D HST 4WD
    NewHolland 16LA FEL
    Woods BH 70-X Sub-frame Backhoe
    Troybuilt Super Bronco w/42" mower
    Husqvarna DRT 900 Tiller
    Ariens 6.5 HP String Mower
    Husqvarna HU625WT String Mower

3 point hitch attachments:
    single plow, double plow, 5' & 6' deck mower, tiller, 2 cultivators, planter, fertilizer spreader, disk set, sprayer, and a few homemade attachments

30 acres, 15 acres, 5 acres

Veteran Member

There is a problem with the neutral.
    I had something similar when I lived in the city. I had 119 V on one leg and 126V on the other.
    I called power company and they sent out 3 trucks that evening and changed my service line in the pouring rain!!
    They seemed to think it was urgent, I guess there is some danger to the homeowner when this occures.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast