Finally joining Spencer and Henro

/ Finally joining Spencer and Henro #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
It has been a long time coming but we have started our first barn here. It is one of two barns we will be building as the other barn will be back by our far pens a half mile away. What we are doing is tearing down to old barn which was rotted beyond repair and have tore off the old lean-to which as you can see was if fairly good shape to begin with. Spent yesterday cleaning everything around and under the lean-to up so we could knock it down. Once it was down we tore off the shingles and rolled roofing (3 layers ) and started burning some of the wood that we tore off. Finished around 10:30pm last night and have to tear apart the rest of the roof and burn that this morning as well as start laying out the new barn. The new barn will be a 24'x64' with a 16'x64' room off the back.

Attachments

• 288117-Dead barn.JPG
    288117-Dead barn.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 701
   / Finally joining Spencer and Henro
My father working the TN to knock down the old roof. I did all the clearing work and he got the fun job of knocking it down. Go figure /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifHe was having fun though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 288118-Dad tearing corner down.JPG
    288118-Dad tearing corner down.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 581
Another action shot

Attachments

• 288119-Dad tearing down old barn.JPG
    288119-Dad tearing down old barn.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 576
A view of the poor barn

Attachments

• 288120-old barn.JPG
    288120-old barn.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 446
Roof is down

Attachments

• 288121-old roof down.JPG
    288121-old roof down.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 473
After loading up materials this morning at the lumber yard we got to a slow start and this is all we acomplished. One side of the barn is started. Tomorrow we should have the rest of the poles, beams and pearlings on and hopefully start the trusses if they get here like they are suppose to.

Attachments

• 288124-DSC00818.JPG
    288124-DSC00818.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 498
Here are the hard workers resting for the night.

Attachments

• 288125-DSC00821.JPG
    288125-DSC00821.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 491
The wardens, they keep coming up and checking on us to make sure we are not slacking off.

Attachments

• 288127-DSC00820.JPG
    288127-DSC00820.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 522
   / Finally joining Spencer and Henro #9  
Robert,

I was surprised that the shingles on that old roof still looked like they have a couple years left in them!

Keep those pictures coming. We all certainly enjoy seeing what our "brothers" are doing.

I keep thinking that I have a shed, so you are really joining Spencer more than me on this project. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Keep up the good work! [and the pics coming...]

PS...I hope I replied to the right thread! I saw you note to Muhammad to delete the old one. I am becoming used to being erased...I'm not sure why I should even worry about it! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bill in Pgh, PA

The T-Loks were in great shape on the old roof and had at least 10 years left on them but the building below gave way before they did. The shingles have been on that roof for at least 20 years.

As for the shed vs. barn thing. Sheds are small and usually go up in a couple days. When you start adding second floors, skylights multiple doorways and such you get into what we commonly call a barn.

I just hope this thread doesn't get erased as I don't want to post it a third time. But I will if need be. Take care.