30 Acres of Rocks to Farmland Land in 10 Days

/ 30 Acres of Rocks to Farmland Land in 10 Days #1  

Luremaker

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST & NH TC18
Can it be done in 10 days... we will see. These are not the kind of rocks you ask the kids to pick up while walking around the field with pails. These rocks are iceberg type rocks. You know the type. They remain hidden until you start digging them up. This will be a huge job. I expect to move hundreds of large boulders over the next few days. Worked for about an hour or so before it got dark today. I hope to put in a full day tomorrow along with two neighbors with some of their rock moving equipment.

Here is a photo taken while haying in August. There is a creek which divides my pasture almost in half. We will only be clearing the land on the north side of the creek which is the land furthest away in first picture.

The second picture you can all the land north of the creek that I want to plant corn on next summer. In the upper right corner of the picture you can see the rocks pulled late today.

The third picture is a close up of some of the rocks.

clearing-02.jpg

We hope to have it cleaned up in about 10 days if the weather holds.

Attachments

• clearing-01.jpg
    clearing-01.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 618
  • clearing-03.jpg
    clearing-03.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 1,052
   / 30 Acres of Rocks to Farmland Land in 10 Days #2  
What are you planning to use? TLB? Excavator? Dynamite :thumbsup:

/ 30 Acres of Rocks to Farmland Land in 10 Days #3  
How about a CAT D9, a track hoe with a thumb, and a EUC to haul them to wherever! Holy cow, those are some kind of rocks!

/ 30 Acres of Rocks to Farmland Land in 10 Days #4  
This will be interesting.

:D

/ 30 Acres of Rocks to Farmland Land in 10 Days #5  
The hard part is knowing when to stop. Like an iceberg, what you see is only a fraction of what lies just below the surface. Good luck!

/ 30 Acres of Rocks to Farmland Land in 10 Days #6  
might pay to just bury the biggest ones. dig a hole with a excavator or backhoe
next to it and roll it into the hole that is 3 feet deeper than the rock, then cover
it up and be done with it.

never done it myself but I've seen it done where I live and its been mentioned as
a solution by otheres on here from time to time. to me it seems faster and easier
than moving them unless you have another use for the rocks or comeone who wants
them.

/ 30 Acres of Rocks to Farmland Land in 10 Days #7  
Draw them rock in a circle, Pilgrim!

/ 30 Acres of Rocks to Farmland Land in 10 Days #8  
Well, it's good to know the glaciers left a few rocks in Canada, I'd have sworn they all came to Maine. :laughing:

We have rocks like that here. They were just too big for the homesteaders to move, and/or they have come closer to the surface in the last hundred and fifty years. You don't seem to have millions of smaller rocks that make up the old stone walls around here.

Sometimes, you can find someone who wants to buy nice, solid big rocks for landscaping. I saw a rock the size of car strapped onto a lowboy equipment trailer going down the road not too long ago.

/ 30 Acres of Rocks to Farmland Land in 10 Days
Will be back at it shortly. Neighbor just called and is on his way. He has all the earth moving toys anyone could ever want. Full sized backhoe, large excavator, large tractors, skid steers, and dump wagons. Today we will be pulling as many stones as possible. Next they will be moved to the fence lines then the field will all be worked up with my neighbor's disc. Pictures to follow.

/ 30 Acres of Rocks to Farmland Land in 10 Days #10  
Those are some big rocks! I have something similar I need to do. Where are you in Ontario?