Water Line and MiraFount Installation - lots of Pictures

/ Water Line and MiraFount Installation - lots of Pictures #11  
no one is watching this. :confused:

Your kidding right ?, almost 500 views.

OK, I've may have looked more than once or twice, so minus a few off the top. ;)

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 141
   / Water Line and MiraFount Installation - lots of Pictures
I just figured some more people would have chimed in by now saying "That looks like absolute s**t!" or "That looks good." :laughing:

a33.jpg a34.JPG

Just a few minutes after having my forms ready 2 yards of concrete arrived.
As soon as I had smoothed it out the way I wanted the truck load of 2" stone arrived. Almost like I had planned it that way.:rolleyes:

a35.JPG a36.jpg a37.jpg a38.jpg a39.jpg

I spread the stone around with the skidsteer. These only show trough #1, but you get the point.

a40.JPG
As I was about to quit for the day the "Inspector" shows up. It was a good thing he did. I can only imagine what a concrete mess he would made if I had forgot and left him in the field. I fed him a beer and he followed me out.

/ Water Line and MiraFount Installation - lots of Pictures #14  
I just figured some more people would have chimed in by now saying "That looks like absolute s**t!" or "That looks good." :laughing:

We like to wait until the project's complete then tell you how you should have done it. I'm interested in the waterers you're using, how cold does it get there in winter? I'm surprised you don't need electric to keep them from freezing.

/ Water Line and MiraFount Installation - lots of Pictures #15  
BeezFun said:
We like to wait until the project's complete then tell you how you should have done it.

It has actually been done for two weeks. I'm just slow at posting. :)

I'm interested in the waterers you're using, how cold does it get there in winter? I'm surprised you don't need electric to keep them from freezing.

Hopefully the link that Aaron posted and my following pictures will help you better understand. Right now my Internet is down at home or I'd post the rest of them.

As for weather we average about 30* - 32*f in January.

Last edited:
Well, I looked at their website and it sucks as much as the directions they send with the trough. These stupid things are a lot higher than most other troughs. You'd think they could produce a decent video of the installation and print some good directions.

/ Water Line and MiraFount Installation - lots of Pictures #18  
Looking good. I've installed many Ritchie brand fountains that work in a similar manner. We've had them operating down to -10* in strong wind without any trouble. A good deep heat well and keeping everything sealed is key as I'm sure you know. Glad to see you are using a decent sized pad. We used to put them on a pad just about 1' bigger than the fountain all the way around. However, even with large rock all around they quickly became a mess. The one I just put in has concrete 4' out on all sides, might even go bigger on the next one (so the animal is completely on the pad when drinking). Keep the pics coming. :thumbsup:

/ Water Line and MiraFount Installation - lots of Pictures #19  
Howdy,
IMHO I like using the black plastic HDPE pipe. Of course with brass fittings for any conenctions. 500' spool of 1 inch goes into the trench really quick and easy. I have used a few different waterers. I keep going back to the Behlen Freedom Fountain. I would also suggest using thier shut off valve kit. They are the only ones which have a good shut off valve kit available. I tried to piece together a kit similar, but it really came in around the same price for the pieces. The brass fitting down at the bottom is known as a curb stop. So with a quarter turn of the handle up top, the valve shuts off flow, and pisses out the upper section like a frost free hydrant. It really beats what Miraco says to use a quarter turn valve which you reach inside. That does evacuate the water out of the line above that valve. I still use 2 18" earth tubes here in Virginia. It's easy enough to build it correctly from the get go. After I lay down cement, I am not interested in going back in the ground to fix it. Do it right the first time :)
I really do not think any of the waterer companies have very good directions at all. Most information has come from actual use, and installation.

/ Water Line and MiraFount Installation - lots of Pictures #20  
I am watching DT86. Never have done anything like that. Is your purpose to improve the ease of rotational pasturing?

If it makes you feel more at home, I would have used the black pipe in rolls too :laughing: