Urgent, need security help

/ Urgent, need security help
Thank you for the kind words gang, it's not in my nature to quit or take crap so I'm trying to shore things up as best as possible. Indeed progress is being made, and it's great to have friends with heavy machinery, as you can see from the pics, it makes installations go faster. I am now thinking on a barn door fabrication, or possibly hanging a garage door, but structure mods will have to be made. Today I will pour the cement inside the pipes and hopefully initiate the welding.

I too was thinking of various booby trap ideas, thank you for sharing what's already out there. I must be cautious not to hurt the perps, as much as I'd love to, due to the legal implications. So far nothing from LE on locating the stolen trailers, it's disheartening to realize how little effort the investigators are willing to put into theft and/or property retrieval....and there's desire to take our guns? From my cold dead hands. I did some drive bys, on my own, but came up empty, so far. I am afraid they were sold for scarp.

/ Urgent, need security help #102  
I think the mere sound of a shotgun shell going off would drive most perps away. Law enforcement isn't very good at retreiving stolen goods or putting much effort towards it. I think mainly because they have little success. There is nothing worse in my book then a thief and sadly, we have a nation full of people who think they are entitled to other peoples things.

sd, if LE is not good at retrieval and not good at prevention why are they called LE and what are they ultimately good at, other than the easy stuff? Maybe I am being heavy handed here but I am still very POed.

/ Urgent, need security help #104  
sd, if LE is not good at retrieval and not good at prevention why are they called LE and what are they ultimately good at, other than the easy stuff? Maybe I am being heavy handed here but I am still very POed.

They are government employees who never claimed they would protect anyone from harm or recover any stolen goods. I didn't mean to excuse there resolve but have been around enough to understand.

I had a person trying to sell me a Kubota tractor online for $15k. The deal was all set and he was going to ship (free shipping!) the tractor as soon as I wired the money to a UK bank account (uh huh). I realized it was a scam early on but played along hoping the SOB would go to jail. I tried reporting it to the local LEO, FBI, special government inter-net fraud agency and none of them would do anything until I lost money then they admitted there was little chance of catching him. I had the guys name, real address, cell phone numbers that I investigated and found and absolutely no support from the government.

/ Urgent, need security help #105  
gcp I feel your frustration. A few years ago a group of thugs tried to break into our house when my wife was home alone. Luckily they took off when they realized she was home. This was not long after the "other" widely publicized Connecticut tragedy. Cheshire, Connecticut, home invasion murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Since then I installed an alarm system and video cameras. I have video cameras all around the house including one mounted high on the chimney that monitors the driveway entrance. I bought all my cameras from here:Surveillance Cameras | Security Camera Systems | Security DVRs They have excellent customer service. I plan on installing a license plate capture camera, as it's hard to read a licence plate from a standard surveillance camera:Bosch License Plate Capture Cameras

Great additional suggestions, thank you!

I plan to fabricate a heavy duty tubular steel gate, filled with cement, as explained before, and will use lighting and cameras to add to my surveillance. BTW, good idea about the power company installing a light up front, I値l try to get them to do that.

Here's a remote sensor that may work for me, with a bit of a mod it can probably trigger an audio alarm, flashing light, and a bazooka :)

Motion Sensor with Wireless Motion Alert-CWA2000 at The Home Depot

I have that exact same motion sensor with wireless motion alert. I wouldn't recommend it as you practically have to jump up and down in front of it to set it off. In addition there's no auxiliary output to trigger other devices. My surveillance camera DVR has motion sensor software, as most do. There's an auxiliary port that can trigger external devices. The sensitivity could be adjusted, and part of the field of view could be excluded to decrease false alarms. Another option is a Dakota driveway probe "driveway" - Smarthome

I admire your determination!

/ Urgent, need security help #106  
Taking a video might help the police solve the murder mystery but I will rely on my Kimber and have enough movies to watch.

/ Urgent, need security help #107  
Taking a video might help the police solve the murder mystery but I will rely on my Kimber and have enough movies to watch.
You may feel comfortable relying on your Kimber, but I prefer avoiding the element of surprise. When a motion sensor goes off in the middle of the night, I like the idea of having my cameras with 360 degree views and night vision.

/ Urgent, need security help #108  
I have had similar concerns at my property. 25 acres 10 miles from where I live. It has a 200 yard drive back to where the property opens up. When I had it cleared, people could ride their ATVs onto it from the bottom corner. I had the largest tree stumps from clearing the land stacked in the bottom of the field to create a stump "wall" At the drive, I erected a 3" pipe gate in three sections: a barrier on each end with a swinging gate in the center. Each section is concreted in the ground. The gate consists of a horizontal leg at the top with an angled leg coming up from the bottom. At the end of the gate is 1/2 of a lock box that mates to the other 1/2 connected to one of the permanent barriers. I lock it with a big lock that you have to reach under the lock box to access. The sections were heavy enough that I had to position them with the FEL of my tractor. Each section is 16' long and together they totally block the drive. I store my tractor, implements, trailer, and horse trailer on the locked side of the gate. So far, so good. I'd make sure that thieves have no other access to your land other than the drive, and then max out security on that drive. I like the random cameras idea. One of my neighbors has a remote sensor at the end of his drive that alarms him privately whenever anything breaks the beam. Another thought....

mkane09

Last edited:
The gate fabrication and install has been completed! All that remains now is priming and painting. I decided to keep the cattle gate behind the new as an extra barrier and/or until I finalize the entrance look. What do you think?

IMG_8119_zps7950a3da.jpg

IMG_8124_zpsa88a64ab.jpg

IMG_8126_zps53b9f585.jpg

IMG_8130_zps84e14af4.jpg

IMG_8133_zps451c967d.jpg

The only way in with a vehicle, and without a key, is to cut gate(s) metal with a torch, grinder, or saw of sort.

Last edited: