Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Default Re: Urgent, need security help

Quote Originally Posted by bcp View Post
    I can't tell from the photo, but if your gate is not in sight of the road, move it so it is. Then neighbors and passersby can see someone working on it.
    Get the neighbors involved in watching out for each other. Their place may be next.
    Ditto. I would pass around your cell number to the neighbors and mention that you had someone stealing stuff, so could they keep an eye out and call you/the cops if they see anything. They can pass the word around as well and that might help deter ner-do-wells.
    When there, I would always keep the gate closed if the house cant be seen from the road (so that someone passing by cant say "gate is closed, they aren't home").

On the moat idea, $100 in plywood, 2x4s and glue would let you drive most any pickup over a 6' moat. For that matter, 4 8' pieces of 2x10 glued and screwed together into 2 planks (with a piece of plywood in the middle if you wanted to get fancy) would work for a 6' moat with a center support and would have plausible denyability (those planks are in my truck from when we loaded mike's lawnmower into my truck last week).

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

how about concealed spike strips, or use the trench idea but cover with thin plywood and dirt so they don't see it until too late. Maybe heat-seeking rockets?

The problem is that persistent thieves will get by just about anything, especially in remote areas where they have a lot of time. I used to live near an abandoned rock quarry that everyone used to like to go off-roading with trucks/ atvs/ dirtbikes... whatever. The owners were always trying to keep people out, but they lived out of state. One time I saw that they had placed large concrete blocks (like 3'x3'x6' long) at the entrances. About a week later people had piled dirt up to and around the blocks to simply drive over them. People are creative. Reminds me of "Fight Club" when they were stealing the fat and threw rugs over the barbed wire to be able to scale the fence quickly.

I think the only option here is to try to catch them after the fact... like cameras. If you make them visible, even fake ones, they will take measures to hide their identities (masks, taped license plates). If they think there is nothing to worry about, they won't. I would use concealed cameras and don't make it look like you have done anything to the property, that way you catch them off-guard. I like the idea of the photos being emailed to you, that way there is no way to get rid of the evidence if they find the cameras.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    (those planks are in my truck from when we loaded mike's lawnmower into my truck last week).Aaron Z
    when were you loading my lawnmower last week?

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

how about concealed spike strips
    I agree with mike....all you would have to do is get a couple of 2X6 X however wide your road is and hammer some sharpened spikes up through them....then when you leave turn the spike side up across your road and camouflage them with pine straw , leaves or what ever is natural in your area...that will stop them...couple that with a remote infrared game cam and you will have them
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Super Star Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by mikehaugen View Post
    when were you loading my lawnmower last week?
    Jim-Bob said that it wouldn't be a problem, we got it one night and brought it back the next...

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.

Tractor
    Deere 990/Montana 5740

A gate and lock keeps a honest man honest,, crap will away find away to steal anything of value.. put a camera up and let the police handle it,, if your wife is there my herself buy her a 357 it take better pictures than any camera.. Lou
    "Life is good if beer is cold"

Super Star Member
    Tractor

It might be interesting to put a couple of rocks to direct intruder's cars to one place, then use something like Amazon.com: Major Paintball M80TR Paint / Smoke Mine: Sports & Outdoors to mark their car/truck...
    That plus a camera that sends pictures and you could tell the cops to look for a newer S10 with a pink splotch near the LF tire...

Aaron Z

All great ideas, please keep them coming.

1) The gate is right on a county HWY so no need to move it, it's as up front as it gets. Neighbors are few and far in between, don't know if these were hunters or locals that knew what was there.
    2) The wife has a D&W 357 mag & a 12 gauge side by side and knows how to use them but that's a last resort. I’ve got to get her mind back at ease so she'd be willing to spend the night there, by herself, and be able to rest/sleep otherwise it's all for not! Obvious deterrents are important for that fact alone.
    3) I am investigating game cams and video cams as we speak but there's no power at the entrance and it's probably 500-750 yards away from the house. The house is monitored by video 24/7 and the head unit's in the safe but I don't have fast internet up there so I use my cell phone when there and tether the laptop. I may have to get a telephone land line and run power up front to do this right.
    4) Still need ideas on how to design and build a better gate. A triangular steel beam/post gate with steel posts 6ft into the ground, welded and cemented, will probably do this so no one can drive in while locked. But I'll do that later because right now I WANT them back so I can lay out my very special welcome rug!
    4) I've used the Kryptonite products before on my motorcycles, indeed a great product but thank you for filling me in on the the GR80 and GR100 chains, I'll definately buy a couple of lengths which I can weave within the current gate and lock on either post to make the current gate much more effective. I'll also weld the hinges in place.....
    Last edited by gcp; 12-03-2012 at 06:14 PM.
    gcp

Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700

-220px-m2-catlanit002-jpg
    Probably expensive and illegal, but it'll do the trick.

Samson Remote Controlled Weapon Station - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    My rides - '95 Kubota M4700 w/ PEC, LA1001 FEL :'07 B7610, LA352 FEL, Bush Hog SBX 48 box blade, '09 Woods BH70-X w/ 16" bucket and thumb, 3pt pallet forks, Dale Phillips PHD, Jinma 8" chipper, 2 Piranha's, Winco 12KW PTO generator, Howse plow, 5' KK tiller, 5' Big Bee cutter, with a 2002 7.3L Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 and '07 18' Hudson HSE Deluxe trailer - 5 Ton to haul it all

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Bobcat 773

Most states have laws against setting booby traps.

In remote areas (I live out in the woods) folks can pull down just about any gate using a chain and a truck so I wouldn't bother making it more sturdy. Like was already said, a gate and lock keeps an honest man honest.

In Virginia you need to post every 20 feet with no trespassing signs - we buy them in large rolls and tack them to trees.

Your best best is game cameras setup to catch license plates and faces.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast