Urgent, need security help

/ Urgent, need security help #1  

gcp

Silver Member
Gents, I had a break-in at my property last week. They defeated the entrance cattlegate, easy to do and as shown in the pic, and they drove in to steal a 5x10 trailer, a couple of non-functional 4wheelers, and a bunch of other little things. But they didn't get into the workshops and the house, yet.

Entrance.jpg

We are there only on the weekends and the locals know it so, can you please give me some ideas, with pics, on how I can build a better gate in front of or behind the current gate? Steel and cement I would assume would be they right materials to use so as they can't open and drive in.

Your immediate help will be greatly appreciated!

/ Urgent, need security help #2  
Put up some trail cameras. Then if it happens, you can go hunting. Mountain justice.

/ Urgent, need security help
As much as I LOVE the way you think masks can easily defeat camera pics.

I need to shore up the entrance so my wife can feel secure, if she's there alone.

/ Urgent, need security help #4  
GCP -

Sorry to hear about the break-in. I also have a remote property that is a not always occupied, so I know the feeling of being worried about your place/stuff why you are away.

I don't have the ability to post pictures right now, but here are some of the things I have done on my gate/entrance.

First, get yourself a better chain and lock. With portable grinders/etc, I thief can still cut about anything, but you want to make it as tough as possible (or have them have to stand at your gate for longer than they may want to).
I use the following chain and lock on my front gate. It is not cheap, but it is cheaper than the stuff behind the gate.

Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain with Disc Lock - Street Motorcycle - Motorcycle Superstore

Second, I also use a security camera near the gate. Place it BEHIND the gate, where it can still be seen, but high enough up on a pole or tree so that someone would need a ladder to reach-it. (Not stand on a truck hood and steal it).
I did not have power at my gate, so I was required to get a camera that would email me a picture (via cell service) when it detects motion. You will get a lot of pictures of deer/etc, but you will also get pictures of anyone near your gate.
I went with this camera setup. It also is not cheap, but I was limited to available choices given my location and lack of power/etc at the property entrance. Mine is installed about 20 yards behind the gate up in a tree. You don't want to hide it. You want it to be seen as a detterent.

https://www.smartscouter.com/ssDefault.aspx

Once you install the camera, get a sign that states the property is under surveillance. I went with the biggest one I could find.
Property Protected by Video Surveillance Sign - No Trespassing, SKU: K-2257

I then installed cheaper security cameras on my property porch (watching the front door) and my workshop. These cameras were just basic web-cams. I was able to do this because I have power and a network/wireless connection at these locations. These cameras also email me a picture on any motion. These cameras cost under a 100 bucks each.

I also gave the local law enforcement a donation and asked them to drive by my property fairly regularly and light it up with the spotlight. They actually have been pretty good about doing this.

I have not had to resort to this extreme, but my neighbor dug a 6 foot wide trench behind his gate with a center cement cross support. The trench is about 4 feet deep. When he is home a large piece of plate steel covers the trench so he can drive over it. When he leaves, he uses his tractor to slide it back off the trench. This creates a gap in his driveway that is impossible to cross with a vehicle. His driveway is setup so that this is the only way to advance up his property.

The downside to this approach is that he has to leave his car at the gate when he returns and go get the tractor to push the plate back over the trench before he can drive his car up to the house.

Hope these ideas help.

/ Urgent, need security help #5  
Second, I also use a security camera near the gate. Place it BEHIND the gate, where it can still be seen, but high enough up on a pole or tree so that someone would need a ladder to reach-it. (Not stand on a truck hood and steal it).
I did not have power at my gate, so I was required to get a camera that would email me a picture (via cell service) when it detects motion. You will get a lot of pictures of deer/etc, but you will also get pictures of anyone near your gate.
I went with this camera setup. It also is not cheap, but I was limited to available choices given my location and lack of power/etc at the property entrance. Mine is installed about 20 yards behind the gate up in a tree. You don't want to hide it. You want it to be seen as a detterent.
https://www.smartscouter.com/ssDefault.aspx
Once you install the camera, get a sign that states the property is under surveillance. I went with the biggest one I could find.
Property Protected by Video Surveillance Sign - No Trespassing, SKU: K-2257
I might also put something on the sign that said that the camera was remotely monitored or something so that they know that just taking down/out the camera wont get rid of the pictures... Otherwise someone might try a .22 caliber solution to your security camera from the ground...

Aaron Z

/ Urgent, need security help #6  
You can purchase schedule 80 or 100 chain at a local industrial supply house, (they usually have the words "wire rope" in their name). Schedule 100 is as hard as the teeth on bolt cutters.

I prefer a Mul-T-Lock padlock because if you loan a key to someone, they can't go to the local hardware store and get it duplicated.

Both of these items are pricey, but not unreasonable.

/ Urgent, need security help #7  
I have not had to resort to this extreme, but my neighbor dug a 6 foot wide trench behind his gate with a center cement cross support. The trench is about 4 feet deep. When he is home a large piece of plate steel covers the trench so he can drive over it. When he leaves, he uses his tractor to slide it back off the trench. This creates a gap in his driveway that is impossible to cross with a vehicle. His driveway is setup so that this is the only way to advance up his property.

I love it, sounds like something out of Mad Max. I feel like going out and buying a piece of remote property so I can dig my own trench.

/ Urgent, need security help #8  
I don't know what they call them, but all the forest trail access points around here have a 6" square steel post about 2' high that hinges at the ground, and it's locked in the upright position by a lock that's inaccessible inside the steel post. You can fold it down when you need to get through. If you put that up in the middle of the gate access there'd be no way to get past it.

I'd also go the security camera route like others have mentioned but I'd get one large phony camera shell with a big sign warning people they're under surveillance, that's the one they'll disable or shoot out. Then use a bunch of these small web cams that you can get at radio shack and put them up the drive and around the house so they're not easily visible. If you have wireless already in the house you're most of the way done. Then you could monitor what's going on all the time and capture the live video for later use if you need it.

/ Urgent, need security help #9  
I can't tell from the photo, but if your gate is not in sight of the road, move it so it is. Then neighbors and passersby can see someone working on it.

Get the neighbors involved in watching out for each other. Their place may be next.

Bruce

/ Urgent, need security help #10  
Be home this weekend so you can reach out and touch someone.