Need project advice

/ Need project advice #1  

Ruark

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4025
I recently returned to a project I've been working on: converting a 250 gallon propane tank to a pasture roller.

The tank is empty, and all the fittings ground off and covered with 1/8" plate. The water fill/drain plug has been installed.

The next step is some kind of axle. The most obvious way is to drill a 2" hole in each end and run a 2" round bar through it. Then weld each end where the bar comes out of the hole, to make it solid and so the water won't leak out. Then build the frame around it, using pillow bearings on the round bar.

Thing is, that's a pretty expensive and somewhat "fancy" way to build it. That 2" steel bar alone will run $100 - $200. I've thought about welding the head of a 1" bolt to the end, but I'm afraid that would break off under the strain of pulling a 3,000 pound roller over uneven ground.

Any creative types have a better way to do this?

/ Need project advice #2  
I recently returned to a project I've been working on: converting a 250 gallon propane tank to a pasture roller.

The tank is empty, and all the fittings ground off and covered with 1/8" plate. The water fill/drain plug has been installed.

The next step is some kind of axle. The most obvious way is to drill a 2" hole in each end and run a 2" round bar through it. Then weld each end where the bar comes out of the hole, to make it solid and so the water won't leak out. Then build the frame around it, using pillow bearings on the round bar.

Thing is, that's a pretty expensive and somewhat "fancy" way to build it. That 2" steel bar alone will run $100 - $200. I've thought about welding the head of a 1" bolt to the end, but I'm afraid that would break off under the strain of pulling a 3,000 pound roller over uneven ground.

Any creative types have a better way to do this?
What about using 2" black iron pipe? 10' should run you about $25 at a plumbing supply house.

/ Need project advice #3  
schedule 80 black Iron Water Pipe should work well could even go with Galvanized just grind ALL of it off at the weld point it is deadly welding it...

/ Need project advice #4  
Go to a car wreckers, get the cheapest stub axles or hubs & weld them to ends of the tank only ........you may need to reinforce the tank ends with some scrap offcuts you might have laying around but it should last ok

/ Need project advice
I appreciate the advice. Right now I'm moving more towards the idea of using 2" or maybe even 2 1/4 or 2 1/2" black iron pipe instead of the cold rolled steel bar. My main concern is that it HOLD. Once it's run through the tank and welded at the holes, it would be a ***** to replace if it broke off.

/ Need project advice #6  
My main concern is that it HOLD. Once it's run through the tank and welded at the holes, it would be a ***** to replace if it broke off.

You don't plan to try to lift it full do you? As long as you're just pulling it there isn't really that much load on the pins. My roller is 1000# and it has a flimsy little frame and I think 1/2" axle stub which works fine.
Not sure where you live, but I left mine full of water and it froze, pushed the whole end out and did some damage, I had to reweld it. So if that's an issue tie a string around your finger so you remember to drain it in the fall.

/ Need project advice
Looks like the Sch. 80 black pipe isn't an option. It's pretty expensive. For example, Grainger has 10' lengths for $183 plus shipping. The biggest Lowe's has is puny 1" junk.

I kinda like the idea of using spindles and hubs, but I would really need to see a picture of how that would work. Mounting it on a flat plate would be problematic, because the end of the tank is rounded.

/ Need project advice #8  
Mounting it on a flat plate would be problematic, because the end of the tank is rounded.

Nope. Just cut out a 6"-8" hole and fill it with a thick disk. Maybe 3/8" to 1/2" plate. There ya go, a flat surface.

/ Need project advice #9  
I think I would just go ahead and use the 1 inch pipe. The only thing that could break it is bending. Build up the connection point with some rings of steel and keep the distance from the end of the tank to the bearing as short as possible and I can't imagine it breaking from pulling.

/ Need project advice #10  
I love this thread already.
girl.jpg

beaty.jpg