Accessorize my new air compressor

/ Accessorize my new air compressor #1  

fish6942

Gold Member
Tractor
'07 Kubota BX2350
Up until now I've always had portable compressors. I'm now upgrading to this CH 60 gallon stationary unit: Campbell Hausfeldョ 60 Gallon Cast Iron Air Compressor - 3310006 | Tractor Supply Company

I have a Friends and Family 15% discount coupon that I can use for this but its only good one time. I'd like to take advantage of the 15% off and pick up some additional things I'll need for the installation. I'm thinking things like pressure regulator, dryer, etc. I'm honestly not sure what all comes with these things.

I'm eventually going to run hard lines throughout the shop but I'm not far enough along with the planning process to start buying those items. Also, I have the electrical items prett well covered already.

Thanks!!

/ Accessorize my new air compressor #2  
I can't read it, but there is a label on the front saying "Don't Forget These Accessories" with a check list. It looks like not much comes with it.

/ Accessorize my new air compressor #4  
Run a hardline from the drain out a small hole in your wall so you can drain it easily. You'll need an elbow, a few lengths of 3/8 or 1/2" galvanized pipe and a 1/4 turn ball valve.
A regulator.
Some kind of filter, I'd just get a filter you can drain unless you're doing something that requires a dessicant.
Get a hose reel if you don't already have one.

/ Accessorize my new air compressor #5  
Run a hardline from the drain out a small hole in your wall so you can drain it easily. You'll need an elbow, a few lengths of 3/8 or 1/2" galvanized pipe and a 1/4 turn ball valve.

From the picture this model looks pretty high off the floor but still very good advice. Mine is right on the floor and a real PITA so it doesn't get done as often as is should.

/ Accessorize my new air compressor
Regarding the drain, I already have plans to mount it up on skids and to bring the line out with a ball valve (saw that suggestion in many places here).

So these things will come with a "high pressure switch" to shut it off at whatever max pressure it is rated for. But then I'll need to add a pressure regulator so I can dial it down for specific applications? If this is the case, would you put the regulator right at the outlet of the AC or at the 3 or so taps that I plan to add around the shop?

I've read that the filter is to keep out particulates and to some extent moisture (non-dessicant models). Do they serve any other purpose?

For a hose reel, what attributes should I be looking for? I already know that 50' of hose would be sufficient.

/ Accessorize my new air compressor #7  
If your going to get a hose reel, get a good one. I have played around with those el-cheapos and have gottent tired of the reel not retracting when I want it to, and always trying to retract when I dont want it to. Also dont get the hard rubber hoses. I have found the flexible hose to be much better when running air tools in tight places. The hard hose is stiffer, wont kink as bad and might last longer, but it sure gets aggravating to use when your under something and have to stick the impact gun overhead in a tight spot. 50 ft of hose will reach anything in my shop and my compressor is close to the door so I can get anything close enought to reach outside the shop also. If you are going to run hardlines in the shop, consider adding a connecton on the outside of the shop as well. You may never need it, but its cheap to do and can come in handy when/if you ever need it.

/ Accessorize my new air compressor #8  
You will like the 60 gallon over a portable.
Lots more volume for impact guns, paint gun...
I ran 3/4" galvanized piping around my garage and made several drops for outlets in different locations. It has been very handy when painting vehicles.
Galvanized piping is not the best choice for air lines but mine was the right price.
Free.
I have a moisture seperator and filteration on the discharge at the compressor.
moisture still gets past with high volume tasks like painting though.
Galvanized flakes can also come loose in the piping which is why it is not the ideal choice when painting.
I have a portable filter housing on a stand with a large cotton wound filter and dedicated hose i use just for my hvlp gun and air brush.
The filter traps galvanized flakes, oil vapor and moisture.
I bolted my compressor to the floor. I need to add a drain line like others have said. draining is a bit of a pain without it.
I also have a tee set with valving up near the compressor outlet so I can change from full pressure to regulated pressure for the entire set-up.
I also made a homemade air intake filter setup.
I'll include some pics for ideas.
View attachment 291929View attachment 291930View attachment 291931View attachment 291932View attachment 291933View attachment 291934View attachment 291935View attachment 291936View attachment 291937View attachment 291938View attachment 291939View attachment 291940View attachment 291941

/ Accessorize my new air compressor #9  
   / Accessorize my new air compressor #10  
i have a refrigerated air dryer on my system image_11243.jpgharbor freight $399. i paid about $300 back a few years ago. It works amazingly good. removes 99% of all moisture from lines. The post filter (canister paper filter) is 3 years old and looks new. I used to have to replace the paper filter every month.

best investment ever....if you need truly water free air source.
Compressed Air Dryer - Save on this Compressed Air Dryer

i ran 3/4" copper piping through shop years ago...when copper wasnt too expensive. Steel may be cheaper now days. DONT use plastic if you value your life.

I also have two separate self retracting 50' air hose reels ..one front one in back for portable work.