angle grinder vs. disk angle sander????

/ angle grinder vs. disk angle sander???? #1  

Boeing

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota L3010
Guys, help me out here. I have a 5 1/2" (I think) disk angle sander. I want to sharpen the blades on my bush hog. Can a grinding disk be put on this sander?
Most of the grinders look like 4 1/2"....some are disturbingly cheap....JUNK?
I hate having tools upon tools to store so when I can make ONE tool do several things I LOVE IT. Thanks :shocked:

/ angle grinder vs. disk angle sander???? #2  
most sanders are slower RPM, so they do not burn as easely or if used as a polisher they do not cook the paint, when buffing,

If the spindle is such that it will accept a grinder wheel one can put it on it, it may not may not grind to ones liking, some times if a grinding wheel is ran slower than it is more or less designed for it will wear faster than normal,

and as far as size goes, there are 4" 4 1/2" 5" 6" 7" and 9" that I have seen or am aware of,

/ angle grinder vs. disk angle sander???? #3  
heck the junk 20 buck HF grinders are perfect for this job, mine is 10+ yrs old still going. the "Drill Master" line is total wast of $ as a few bucks more the Chicago brand seems good for light industrial farm use...

Mark

/ angle grinder vs. disk angle sander???? #4  
heck the junk 20 buck HF grinders are perfect for this job, mine is 10+ yrs old still going. the "Drill Master" line is total wast of $ as a few bucks more the Chicago brand seems good for light industrial farm use...

Mark
Good advice, go for the $20 rather than $10 and get the 4.5 rather than the 4". That extra 1/2" on the outside diameter lasts much longer. Also I like the paddle switch model better than the slide switch as it is much easier to use

/ angle grinder vs. disk angle sander???? #5  
You can sharpen blades with a disc grinder, but it can be dangerous.

The edge of the blade can get caught on the disc, and when it is traveling at high speed you can find yourself under attack.

The better, somewhat safer way to sharpen them, is to use a grinder with a "stone" wheel on it.

/ angle grinder vs. disk angle sander????
Thanks Guys,
I live fairly near to a HF and they have specials all the time. I'll look for a "chicago" model with a paddle switch.
Ray, Can I get a "stone wheel" for the tool that we're describing? Then do you grind on the edge like a bench grinder or on the side?
I had a pneumatic cut off wheel come apart once and it really "punctured" me.....ouch. :confused:

/ angle grinder vs. disk angle sander???? #7  
Yes, electric angle grinders are generally used with a grinding wheel. One is illustrated below. This is opposed to a cut off wheel, which can also be used. As you have seen those can be dangerous.

A HF model, (and yes, the paddle switch is much safer), would be fine for light duty grinding, like sharpening.

For additional safety, I suggest you buy a brand name grinding wheel, 1/4 inch or thicker, and dispose of the Chinese freebee the tool comes with. Make sure you buy a metal grinding wheel, and not a masonry one.

Remember to always work in a position so that the wheel is rotating away from the edge of the blade your are sharpening, rather than towards it.

And, remember to wear a dust mask, and eye or face protection. The material these wheels are made from becomes a dust during use that you do NOT want to breathe.

DeWALT-dw4418.jpg

/ angle grinder vs. disk angle sander???? #8  
I also agree with ray66 you should never sharpen a blade with a sander grinding disk as they are called.The dewalt wheel he shows is a very good wheel.I use Sata wheels myself.Like the man said definatly throw the china made cheapie the tool comes with in the trash(poorly madeand dangerous)

/ angle grinder vs. disk angle sander???? #9  
I use a flap disc, which is usually what's on my grinder. It sharpens a blade well, and doesn't dig in like a rigid disc will do.

/ angle grinder vs. disk angle sander???? #10  
I use a flap disc, which is usually what's on my grinder. It sharpens a blade well, and doesn't dig in like a rigid disc will do.

I use type 29 discs all the time in the shop.
I keep 36 grit, 60 grit and 80 grit on hand.
found them very nice for sharpening mower blades.
the more you use a grinder for deburring, shaping, beveling... it is easier to keep a nice straight edge on blades.
I use a grind almost daily for work
If you only get an angle grinder out once in a blue moon then you may not get the results you like.
an electric or air powered bandfile is a nice tool also.
I have a Milwaukee bandfile with a variable speed controller. Its like hand file but much faster.