Tractor
    Kubota B2910

Default Driveway Drainage Ditch Question??

I have put in these drainage ditches for the water to run off from my driveway. I am going to fill with some 2" - 3" rock. I was wondering if I should lay some corogated drain tile or pipe to carry the water. Would this help any?

Thanks

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Default Re: Driveway Drainage Ditch Question??

If you lay pipe, plan on it filling up.. bigger pipe just takes longer. Look at your local municipality drainage easements... mostly open swales.. pipes under driveways, ditch blocks where necescary to limit flow.. riprap / 'energy disipators' at flumes to prevent erosion where the water finally discharges..

Soundguy

Tractor
    JD 855

Default Re: Driveway Drainage Ditch Question??

I concur. A ditch will generally handle more water than a pipe. The issues with a ditch are generally to keep it from eroding. Your rock lining will help with that. Rock check dams, as mentioned by Soundguy, can be a good (and cheap) idea.

Well, making a ditch too flat can be a problem too, but it sounds like you have grade to burn. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]