t1510 New Holland cab build

/ t1510 New Holland cab build #1  

triangel

Silver Member
Tractor
new holland t1510, 730 case
I purchased a t1510 New H DSCF5030.jpgDSCF5033.jpgDSCF5034.jpgDSCF5035.jpgDSCF5037.jpgDSCF5039.jpgolland several years ago and when it came to blowing snow when I was finished I always looked like a snowman no matter which way the wind blew.So I finally decided to put a cab on my tractor. I looked at purchasing a sims or other jobber cabs but 5000 to 10000 dollars just seemed like a lot of money for what you were getting considering the cost of the original tractor and what you were getting there. I have a friend with a welding shop and I am a retired welder so we decided to have a go at it. I will try to post some pictures as we progress. In these first pictures we built the basic frame , note the round pipe brkts built to sit on the front end loader brkts and the rear sit on the cross member behind the seat.

/ t1510 New Holland cab build #2  
Welcome to TBN.

It looks like you are intending to make this cab easily removable should the need arise. You're lucky to have lots of straight lines on the fenders, etc to make your fabrication life easier.

/ t1510 New Holland cab build #3  
....................and I am a retired welder...............

Well you sure didn't forget how to weld! Very nice. I'm coming down the home stretch on a cab right now and have found it takes more time than I thought it would. I'll have around 150 hours in mine when complete. It will be worth every penny and hour spent.

/ t1510 New Holland cab build #4  
Great start and progress so far. I made a cab for a Polaris Ranger in similar fashion a couple years back. What are your ideas for the panels? 4x8x1/4 sheets of polycarbonate cost about $100 in my area. That is for the non-hardened variety. Unhardened Polycarb is very strong but does scratch easily, polishes out just as easily though. What ideas do you have for keeping the windows from fogging or frosting up? Good luck and welcome to TBN.

/ t1510 New Holland cab build
started doing the skinning today, got most of it done, we used 14 gauge material spot welded, then plasma cut out the windows and ground all the surfaces. I am new to posting material as you can see by the screw up with the pictures. try to to better this timeDSCF5041.jpgDSCF5042.jpgDSCF5046.jpg

/ t1510 New Holland cab build
I drilled holes in the lower window frame to which I will drill a large hole and fit a defroster hose to it. saw this on another posting under cab builds

/ t1510 New Holland cab build #7  
14 gauge skin is pretty stout stuff. I'll bet you could have saved weight and cost by going 16 gauge or even 18 gauge.

In any case it looks like your cab is coming along nicely. Please keep posting pictures of your build. If you can, I'd use glass instead of plastic for the windows as glass won't scratch like plastic will.

/ t1510 New Holland cab build #8  
Very nice job there...
I don't understand why New Holland does not offer more cab options in some of their smaller value line tractors...
I know that the cost would be high but I am sure that some folks would opt for that enhancement...
For us folks down here in the hot south a home fabricated versions does not have the appeal that it does to folk up in the north unless air conditioning could somehow be added...
Air conditioning is a must for us but I certainly can appreciate the appeal to folks in colder climates for just a cab...
I am sure that your winters can be brutal...

/ t1510 New Holland cab build #9  
It looks like you are intending to make this cab easily removable should the need arise.
girl.jpg

beaty.jpg

/ t1510 New Holland cab build #10  
started doing the skinning today, got most of it done, we used 14 gauge material spot welded, then plasma cut out the windows and ground all the surfaces.

Looks just like when I weld, except for filling in the burn holes with bondo, replacing my shoes because the dripping metal started them on fire, and the burn marks on the wall from where I started a grease fire.

I'm curious what material cost ends up being. I've bought some heavier steel at the local steel supply place and I'm always shocked how much it costs for tubing and angle. If I had my tractor purchase to do over, I'd get a cab, which wasn't even on my list when I shopped. Surprising how fast frozen gonads will change priority.