Pole Barn Storage

/ Pole Barn Storage #1  

LouieJunior

Gold Member
Tractor
JD4052R Open Station
As I acquire more toys, I am quickly running out of storage space in my old pole barn. I am wondering if there is an easy way to lift- up (via winch) some of the lighter items. I keep two John boats in there that are used infrequently. If some attachments need to go outside, which ones are best at withstanding the elements?

Attachments

• image-397716103.jpg
    image-397716103.jpg
    557.7 KB · Views: 604
  • image-383643529.jpg
    image-383643529.jpg
    594.5 KB · Views: 409
   / Pole Barn Storage #2  
I built a lumber rack once by carriage bolting 2X4's from the overhead beam down about 3 or 4 feet, bolting a cross beam and adding planks or plywood across to make a suspended floor..... keep the weight reasonable and it works great.

/ Pole Barn Storage #3  
As Boeing says suspend some 2x4s and make a basic frame - good for light stuff like the jon boat aluminum I presume, - you dont need a floor for that.

I was running out of space on the floor and all light stuff- like a tow behind fertilzer spreader, wheelbarrows are pulled up with a pulley and out of the way for the winter. You know all the stuff you need but dont use a few times a year and is light enough to be pulled overhead..

Also I fashioned a way to hang the pallet forks from the ceiling as well. You could also rig up a pulley on the side poles for heavier stuff thats bulky but not real heavy - like a spike harrow - leave the one end on the ground and lift the other end close to vertical on the wall.

The only thing I leave outside is the scraper blade in the summer when the BH is on.

/ Pole Barn Storage #4  
I have some scaffolding in the corner of my garage to stack stuff on.
I'm keeping my eyes out for some used pallet rack and beams.

I do have 2 bikecycle lift's from HF holding bikes up in the rafters.
image_13517.jpg

They might work for light john boat but change the rope the thin rope they supply gets stuck between the pulleys and the frames. Get some rope to fit the pulleys proper and it won't get stuck.

tom

/ Pole Barn Storage #5  
Pallet racking,
Used Pallet Racking.

Sometimes you can get it from the local scrap yard for scrap prices. I've been buying it off Craigs list.

8x6SAM_0773.jpg

This 3 upright, 12 Beam, 12 wire mesh shelf unit cost me $20 TOTAL. The guy had to get it out of the warehouse quick. I've put a sheet of 3/4 PT plywood topped by a sheet of 3/4 MDF on the bottom shelves for workbenches.

8x6SAM_0768.jpg

This setup on the right cost me more like the going rate of $40 to $60 per upright and $10/beam.

You could store an engine or two on each shelf, they've got a 3 ton capacity. You can get uprights readily up to 16' and beams up to 12'. Present plans are to line the walls of the shop in the first photo with 12' tall units with shelves at 8' and 10' for lot's of overhead storage. I can then park vehicles underneath.

It's quick and easy to assemble. I put it almost all together by myself. Only tool needed was a rubber mallet to persuade some fitting problems. It's also easy to disassemble and move.

Attachments

• 8x6SAM_0727.jpg
    8x6SAM_0727.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 3,299
   / Pole Barn Storage #6  
Try hanging stuff on the walls. I use hooks and rope or wire to fasten, with heavy things I stand and secure with light chain. Be careful and secure them safely.

/ Pole Barn Storage #7  
I saw an aluminum canoe last spring that sat outside for 20 years and it looked like it was stored inside. Condition was excellent.

/ Pole Barn Storage
I hoisted a boat out of the way today. Probably spent more on the hoist ($115) than the boat is worth, but I need the space. I am now contemplating lifting the Landscape Rake (400 lbs) or one of the other lighter

Attachments

• image-3466415941.jpg
    image-3466415941.jpg
    549.9 KB · Views: 553
   / Pole Barn Storage #9  
I have taken 3/4" plywood and screwed 2x6's around it then put I eye bolts in each corner. Now attach to a boat winch mounted on a beam and run the rope through a pulley and you have a 4x8' area to put light stuff on and can get up and out of the way.

Chris

/ Pole Barn Storage #10  
You might think about building a "mezzanine" in the barn. I have the same problem as you and elected to build this structure, a glorified shelf really, about 5 feet above the floor. It is perfect height for storing my box blade and other things. Of course, you have to be able to set them up there with a loader/pallet forks or whatever. In my case, I built a loader-mounted three-point adapter that allows me to pick up the box blade with the loader.100_0910.jpg100_0876 B.JPG123_2336 B.JPG