Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Tractor
    JD TLB 110

Default Re: Leech Field Collapse-Repair Help

Quote Originally Posted by PILOON View Post
    ...Must say that seeing many other 'professional workmanship' I prefer do DIY.
    Complete agreement there.

I am not convinced that any of the anti-backflow valves that I have seen would protect against backflow for any period of time. But, they will all reduce a torrent to a trickle, so they have some value.
    40 Acres on a hill - fantastic view. JD 110 TLB, 4-n-1, 12" bucket, 18" bucket, Addington thumb, rock bucket (doubles as root grapple)

Not only do we not understand the universe, if someone explained it to us, we would not know what he was talking about.

Isaac Asimov

The perforated corrugated pipe it what was suggested by the inspector that did the perk test in '87.None of our codes hint at a back flow preventer,unless the house is connected to public sewage, and then it's only a suggestion.Settling is what cause the pipe to disconnect from the tank and drop.We have a rock quarry that blast frequently behind us.Our ground in constantly settling and moving from that.I am replacing and reconnecting the corrugated pipe back to the tank using PVC.It's a giant mess because the water table is up from all the rain we have had the past month and a half.The chemicals should help break up the stuff in the pipes.There is no diverter box,just a PVC Y.Bore scope was used to check the pipes.

The pipe from the house is clean and free flowing.

Nah the quarry ain't causing the settlement problem. Sloppy back-fill just dumped in and tamped down in one lift with the backhoe bucket without water or plate compactor is the problem. A six foot high concrete tank like yours should be back-filled in twelve six inch layers each one leveled & watered to optimum moisture content(very damp but not soggy) and tamped tight with a vibrating plate compactor or old school hand tamp in the tight places. Done right it will never move, done half *****#@ and you get what you got.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Oliver 1855, Case 1840, Cub 1550

Go to TheNaturalHome.com they have a effluent filter kit for $69, this will protect your drain feild. If you have that flexable black plastic your wasting you time. It naturaly plugs up, and is easily crushed. These filters are code in Iowa, all systems must be inspected and brought up to code, when selling a home.

Dave

I found the end of the pref pipe and added a PVC connection to the tank.The tank has filters built in.I didn't get pics before we started back fill.We gonna try saving the leach field with chemicals and hopefully get by till fall.Since I only have part ownership in the property,I am reluctant to install new leech field.I will have a talk with the other owner and see what we can do.I may just use the money to finish remodeling my other house I own 100% and move back in.I was hoping to buy out the other owner and rent this place.If that happens,I already have a leech field plan to preset to my local DHEC.I don't think they will do another perk test.

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE Hydro

I'm skeptical that any chemical can "clean" a leach field....sooner then later it's all gonna have to get dug up and replaced.
    2008 KIOTI DK40Se Hydro
    1978 Sling Blade/wood handle

Quote Originally Posted by MotorSeven View Post
    I'm skeptical that any chemical can "clean" a leach field....sooner then later it's all gonna have to get dug up and replaced.
    I agree.I just need to get by for a few months.

NEW PROBLEM
    When the septic tank guy was here,he scoped the main line from the house to the tank.All was clear.He had me flush the toilet and run water down all the drains.Everything flowed easily.Now the tank is empty other than a couple inches of water in the tank.The tank is sealed and buried.Now when I flush the toilet or run water in the bathtub,they back up.No water will flow out.The bathroom and kitchen sinks flow fine.I think the vent became clogged that vents the toilet and tub.They are side by side and use the same vent.I will try to snake out the vents.I have three of them total,toilet/tub,bath sink,and kitchen sink.

This is getting very aggravating not being able to use the facilities when we are at home.We have decided to finish the bathroom and kitchen in our other house and move in.I hate having my family living in a construction site,but I have no other choice.I will contact the other owner of the property I am having problems with and see what deal we can make.If I get total ownership,I'll do what's needed and stop the patch work.Then,I will rent the place, or sell it outright, and buy what I have listed in my sig line.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345