Generator and electricity flow

/ Generator and electricity flow #11  
Ken45101 said:
To summarize it for the OP:

1) yes, it can be done

2) it's very dangerous, it could kill someone if a mistake is made

3) it's illegal

4) The power company can/will shut you off if they catch you doing something like this.

/ Generator and electricity flow
Thanks to all who answered my original post. The 220V generator is at his nephews house. The uncle (110V generator) lives in another area and is a BS at times so I don't know if he was really serious as his past use of the generator involved extension cord use only. I'm glad you all agree about how hazardous this idea is. Again Thanks

(This original post pertained to loss of power during a storm and not meant to avoid paying for power from utility)

/ Generator and electricity flow #13  
My advice would be to check out the Survival Podcast and listen to the Steve Harris episodes. He goes through all of the ramifications of the "Suicide Plug" used in backfeeding. Keep in mind that the plug itself can be dangerous to you and your equipment if not used properly. You may think you're perfectly safe using it, but you have to consider that your wife or kids may knock the plug out and pick it up.

Depending upon where you live, you may be able to backfeed legally using an interlock, which is just a piece of metal that covers the main breaker when you close the breaker with the receptacle for your backfeeding plug. Keep in mind that if you backfeed and do not open the main breaker, or someone closes the main breaker when the generator is attached, you could injure or kill anyone working on grid.

/ Generator and electricity flow #14  
I'm interested in installing a safe and approved method of plugging my portable generator into my house.
All of the schemes and transfer switches I've found seem to require that I have room for additional breakers.
It looks like all my spaces have been used up. Is there a simple solution for me or do I have to buy a new house?

:eek::eek:

Thanks for any advice.

View attachment 296419

Attachments

• IMG_2978.jpg
    IMG_2978.jpg
    551.1 KB · Views: 175
   / Generator and electricity flow #15  
Contact a licensed electrician.My transfer switch is outside on the pole.

/ Generator and electricity flow #16  
I recognize the value of that advice but "professionals" around here aren't necessarily trustworthy and my budget for this project is less than a million dollars.

/ Generator and electricity flow #17  
   / Generator and electricity flow #18  
...All of the schemes and transfer switches I've found seem to require that I have room for additional breakers.
It looks like all my spaces have been used up. Is there a simple solution for me or do I have to buy a new house?

I looks to me like you have standard-width breakers in all your slots.

You can purchase double breakers, which fit into a standard slot, but have two 1/2 width breakers in them. If you buy one of these, a minor re-adjustment of the wires inside the panel will free up one slot. No new house is required.

While this is a DIY project for many, the nature of your question leads me to believe that you would be far better off to get an electrician, or at least a very knowledgable friend, to help with this project. Freeing up one slot in your breaker box is a relatively easy job, an electrician can do this in less than an hour. What you want to do with the newly open slot is a different matter, but get professional help there too.

/ Generator and electricity flow #19  
I'm interested in installing a safe and approved method of plugging my portable generator into my house.
All of the schemes and transfer switches I've found seem to require that I have room for additional breakers.

Howdy,
Since its looks like your using a mainline panel (Square D) You could go with a interlock kit. The interlock kit will want to use the top right 2 breaker locations. You would then want to add in some half breakers to squeeze the right side down as to fit the new breakers. You gather 2 15amp circuits and use one slot which has 2 indivdual breakers, and the same thing would be for 2 20amp circuits. This way, you could have a dual pole 30amp in the top right with proper interlock, and run the wire out to a generator recepticle. er... with a rough calcualation.. about $55 interlock, $12 half breakers, $20 2-pole 30amp, some 10 wire ($10) and a outdoor recepticle ($60) and your time. With this method, you will then have to manage what you power up and use. But, you would have access to anything in your panel. Of course up to the generator's power limit.

Here is a topic about this very thing generator-transfer-switch-connection-choices