Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 122
  1. #31
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,696
    Location
    IL
    Tractor
    B2710

    Default Re: Generator and electricity flow

    Quote Originally Posted by sdkubota View Post
    Good chance he could burn his house down with the 110v feed as the breaker is on the wrong end to protect the wire.
    There is no "wrong end", the breaker will trip if current exceeds it's rated capacity so there's no danger to the wire.
    Kubota B2710, New Holland CM274 front mower, Toro Zmaster ZTR, Ford 908 bush hog, New Idea manure spreader, Swisher trail mower

  2. #32
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    982
    Location
    Hartford, SD
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400F

    Default Re: Generator and electricity flow

    Quote Originally Posted by BeezFun View Post
    There is no "wrong end", the breaker will trip if current exceeds it's rated capacity so there's no danger to the wire.
    It would still carry current from the generator to the breaker. Whether or not it trips is irrelevant and would only protect the house side.

  3. #33
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,696
    Location
    IL
    Tractor
    B2710

    Default Re: Generator and electricity flow

    Quote Originally Posted by sdkubota View Post
    Whether or not it trips is irrelevant and would only protect the house side.
    That's backwards. The generator is connected to a house receptacle, the receptacle is wired to the breaker via conduit running through the house. So if the breaker trips, that entire circuit run from that receptacle through the house to the breaker is still hot because it's connected to the generator. The only thing that is protected is the service panel bus, because the breaker is tripped.
    Kubota B2710, New Holland CM274 front mower, Toro Zmaster ZTR, Ford 908 bush hog, New Idea manure spreader, Swisher trail mower

  4. #34
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,018
    Location
    Mid. Coast Maine
    Tractor
    7610 hst

    Default Re: Generator and electricity flow

    Quote Originally Posted by sdkubota View Post
    It would still carry current from the generator to the breaker. Whether or not it trips is irrelevant and would only protect the house side.
    Don't most generators have breakers ????

  5. #35
    Veteran Member crbr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,684
    Location
    East TN
    Tractor
    Kub - 2K6, B7800

    Default Re: Generator and electricity flow

    Thans for the picture
    ** Kubota **

    Psalms 86
    John 1:12-13


    Duraflap / Kaydenco not worth a hoot for service or products.

    "Google" is a proper noun, not a verb.

    If you mean what you say, then say what you mean, or just don't say anything

  6. #36
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,089
    Location
    Northern Fingerlakes region of NY, USA
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

    Default Re: Generator and electricity flow

    Quote Originally Posted by BeezFun View Post
    That's backwards. The generator is connected to a house receptacle, the receptacle is wired to the breaker via conduit running through the house. So if the breaker trips, that entire circuit run from that receptacle through the house to the breaker is still hot because it's connected to the generator. The only thing that is protected is the service panel bus, because the breaker is tripped.
    You size the run to the genset so that the breaker at the house trips before you huer the wire going to the genset. As for it being hot, that is why generators have a breaker on the genset itself.

    Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

  7. #37
    Veteran Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,696
    Location
    IL
    Tractor
    B2710

    Default Re: Generator and electricity flow

    Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    You size the run to the genset so that the breaker at the house trips before you huer the wire going to the genset. As for it being hot, that is why generators have a breaker on the genset itself.
    Yes, completely agree. The question was what role the house breaker played in protecting the wiring. The house breaker protects the wiring on that circuit once it opens, even though the generator continues to run. But the circuit is still hot and someone could get hurt or short out the wires. In that case, as you correctly point out, the breaker on the generator should trip if there's an overload condition, and if it's a GFI, hopefully protect someone who touches the wrong thing.
    Kubota B2710, New Holland CM274 front mower, Toro Zmaster ZTR, Ford 908 bush hog, New Idea manure spreader, Swisher trail mower

  8. #38
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    697
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, NC
    Tractor
    Didn't intend to have a Deere fleet - it just happened

    Default Re: Generator and electricity flow

    Quote Originally Posted by hr3 View Post
    Don't most generators have breakers ????
    The genset breaker will protect the genset. The house wiring is unprotected. example: 30 amp genset breaker & recept. backfeeding a 20 amp outlet. 10 amps of overload to heat the wire nice & hot inside the walls. The overload is easy to have since you're plugging everything into every receptacle on that circuit.

  9. #39
    Super Star Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,089
    Location
    Northern Fingerlakes region of NY, USA
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

    Default Re: Generator and electricity flow

    Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    The genset breaker will protect the genset. The house wiring is unprotected. example: 30 amp genset breaker & recept. backfeeding a 20 amp outlet. 10 amps of overload to heat the wire nice & hot inside the walls. The overload is easy to have since you're plugging everything into every receptacle on that circuit.
    And that is why the breaker connecting the generator to the panel should be sized for the wire going to the genset...


    Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

  10. #40
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    2,972
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Tractor
    Bobcat CT225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aczlan View Post
    And that is why the breaker connecting the generator to the panel should be sized for the wire going to the genset...
    The issue is the wire in the wall, which is sized for the service breaker, but which is being driven by the generator over its capacity, by appliances on the same circuit. Because the appliances are on the same circuit as the genny, there is no current flow through the breaker, and the wire is unprotected, except by the genny's breaker which is too large.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Electricity rates
    By Bob Ha in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 05-04-2012, 07:21 PM
  2. not getting electricity
    By marler in forum Kioti Owning/Operating
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-25-2011, 09:32 PM
  3. Saving electricity
    By rgood in forum Rural Living
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 03-13-2009, 02:30 AM
  4. I have electricity!!
    By JoeR in forum Kubota Owning/Operating
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-16-2004, 10:44 PM
  5. New Improved Electricity
    By Anonymous Poster in forum Related Topics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-03-2002, 03:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.