Generator and electricity flow

/ Generator and electricity flow #71  
In New York, The National Grid does not approve the Generlink , so far only a Transfer Switch, I know because I called and talked to their engineers.
DevilDog

I spoke with either NYSEG or RG&E (cant remember which) about installing an interlock such as PowerMark Gold Generator Interlock Kit-THQLLX4 at The Home Depot in a meter base/panel such as Power Mark Gold 200 Amp Main Breaker 4-Space 8-Circuit Meter Socket Load Center-TSM420CSCU at The Home Depot and they said that they were ok with as long as the inspector would pass it. I spoke to our local inspector and he was also ok with it as long as it was UL listed.

Aaron Z

/ Generator and electricity flow #72  
I spoke with either NYSEG or RG&E (cant remember which) about installing an interlock such as PowerMark Gold Generator Interlock Kit-THQLLX4 at The Home Depot in a meter base/panel such as Power Mark Gold 200 Amp Main Breaker 4-Space 8-Circuit Meter Socket Load Center-TSM420CSCU at The Home Depot and they said that they were ok with as long as the inspector would pass it. I spoke to our local inspector and he was also ok with it as long as it was UL listed.

Aaron Z

I hear what your saying Aaron but I was just talking about the easy to install and use GenerLink. Transfer switched are approved if wired and inspected but the GenerLink is to state of the art of the best.http://www.generlink.com/about_generlink.cfm

DevilDog

/ Generator and electricity flow #73  
Here's my interlocking for the generator and the outside plug for it.

I made a "dog house" type of little shed for the genny so I can keep it outside near the plug. I made it so the roof and sides detach easily so it won't overheating. I showed my wife how to hook everything up.

The generator and its dog house are setting on a 3pt platform so I can move it easily with the tractor.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130110_125528.png
    ForumRunner_20130110_125528.png
    306.9 KB · Views: 174
  • ForumRunner_20130110_125553.png
    ForumRunner_20130110_125553.png
    303.8 KB · Views: 153
   / Generator and electricity flow #74  
Ps. I found the interlock by googling but when I went to buy it from a local supply house, it was about $15 cheaper to buy a new panel cover with the interlock already installed.

Cost was about $115 for the cover with interlock and about $50 or $60 for the plug.

I had to move existing circuits down to make room for the generator breaker because it needed to be the first 2 spaces on the right side.

/ Generator and electricity flow #75  
Here's some pics of the generator dog house. Two walls are hinged and are used as ramps to roll the genny up and down, the other two walls lift off completely.

The roof lifts off as well. The two cross braces are half lapped and are removable. I drilled 4 holes for removable nails to pin the roof to the walls in each corner so it can't blow off. Little hasps hold the 4 walls in place.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130110_135411.png
    ForumRunner_20130110_135411.png
    313.6 KB · Views: 139
  • ForumRunner_20130110_135448.png
    ForumRunner_20130110_135448.png
    309.7 KB · Views: 127
  • ForumRunner_20130110_135510.png
    ForumRunner_20130110_135510.png
    302.7 KB · Views: 92
  • ForumRunner_20130110_135558.png
    ForumRunner_20130110_135558.png
    294.8 KB · Views: 141
  • ForumRunner_20130110_135641.png
    ForumRunner_20130110_135641.png
    319.6 KB · Views: 119
   / Generator and electricity flow #76  
Spoken like a true ignoramus.

I'm not going to let you draw me into a personal insult contest.

If something I posted is incorrect that is one thing but insulting people you disagree with is a waste of time.

Spoken like a true ignoramus.

/ Generator and electricity flow #77  
Only a person without concern for his generator or just not informed would ever permit his generator to connected to the power grid where it is dead or alive period. The chances of killing a lineman are very slim to none but the changes of back feeding the generator when the grid goes live is very real. :(

If one will only be concerned about his generator insures the linemen are not at risk from his generator. It really is that simple.

With that being said back feeding not done to code opens the door to human error and death as does driving 600 miles in one day.

/ Generator and electricity flow #78  
I have an interlock on the main panel. It is impossible to feed the panel from my 15kw generator without the Main breaker being turned off. All the other non-essential circuits also need to be switched off as 15kw can not run everything.

/ Generator and electricity flow #79  
I have an interlock on the main panel. It is impossible to feed the panel from my 15kw generator without the Main breaker being turned off. All the other non-essential circuits also need to be switched off as 15kw can not run everything.

Yup, that's the way I have mine hooked up. I have to switch off non-essential circuits too. My generator is smaller than yours, but it will run the sump pumps, furnace, well pump, fridge, computer, TV,and a few lights.

/ Generator and electricity flow #80  
Fact is there isn't a lineman worth his pay that doesn't treat every line like it is live at all times. Ones that don't end up dead and it isn't because of home generators. The entire backfeed story is nothing more then a folktale that won't die. Yes, people shouldn't be screwing with power because it is dangerous. I challenge anyone tyo publish a single electrocution event of a linesman attributed to a home generator.
(ducks and runs for cover)
Are you a lineman? just wondering what your credentials are or level of expertise about what electrical lineman do or do not do.