Straight Fence Line? Long Distance...

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #31  
My method,s

I have done this on fence runs up to 3/4 mile long most are only 1/2 mile

set the two end posts, (if one can see, first I have a orange painted, 2x4 12 long, and double head nail it to the far post), take a pair of binoculars, and set on the close end post, then I have taken a 2x4 8 foot, and have some one look through the glasses, and at the far end post, and then use the 2x4 to line up in the center of the and drive usually a marker post, (I usually drive a 3/8 to 1/2 rod electric fence post, and I ended up with about 50 4 foot one inch PVC pipe and slip on of them over the stake, go down a hundred feet or more, and do a second one,

and they if the guy sighting is doing his job they will be with in an inch of a straight line,

now if I can not see clear through, I do the same thing setting the end posts, and then (some times using the extend 2x4 for longer seeing, and go as far as one can and drive a temporary post, and go to the other end and do the same thing, hope fully one can see from one end post to the far temporary, now they may not line up, go and move the center one so one guess it will line up, trade and do with the other tempory post, and in time they will line up this may take few times. but one both of the temporary posts line up with there end posts the line is straight,

that is my method,

I have one fence I want to put in here some time this year, I will have to get up on and the neighbors hill and set a temporary post and then use that to sight back about a mile so get some marker posts in to get straight line through, a number of hills in the way,

the little walkie talkies help too,

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #32  
Borrow one of those rotoary lazer levels. Go to the highest point of the property between your corner post. Turn on the rotoray lazer and just move back on forth until the little red lazer line hits both corner post. If you do this late in the evening when the sun is setting or almost dark, You can see the red light for a mile or more. You can also get some of those yellow glasses that will let you see the lazer in bright light. If you want the fence perfectly straight, set the lazor up letting it shine while you set your post. you should be able to see the lazer where it hits the ground.

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #33  
Borrow one of those rotoary lazer levels. Go to the highest point of the property between your corner post. Turn on the rotoray lazer and just move back on forth until the little red lazer line hits both corner post. If you do this late in the evening when the sun is setting or almost dark, You can see the red light for a mile or more. You can also get some of those yellow glasses that will let you see the lazer in bright light. If you want the fence perfectly straight, set the lazor up letting it shine while you set your post. you should be able to see the lazer where it hits the ground.
I've used multiple receivers and do different functions during the daylight.

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance...
Update - Yesterday: Using the 'ole tired and true method of walking back and forth and back again, I was able to set quite a few stakes in what appeared to be a perfectly straight line. After setting t-posts with day glow orange flags on both ends, I then set a stake visually out about 20' and then another 20' further. I then sighted back to the first post and moved the two stakes as needed, reversing this task as many times as was needed to get them lined up with both end posts. This took longer than expected, but was doable. Unfortunately, somewhere along the "line" I got off by just a bit and now I've got 10 posts that line up perfectly with one end post, but miss the other end by a foot! On the plus side of things, I did manage to lose two pounds yesterday! :laughing:

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #35  
See if you can rent a theodolite.
Theodolite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are running this on a property line, look around for a local surveyor who does 'fence line surveys'. Shouldn't be too much (but more than you want to pay).

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #36  
See if you can rent a theodolite.
Theodolite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are running this on a property line, look around for a local surveyor who does 'fence line surveys'. Shouldn't be too much (but more than you want to pay).
If I have a new property owner and they are getting a survey I request additional markers. Keep in mind that a surveyor has to stay in business just like the rest of us. And travel time is an expense to them so when you hear $250.00 and they are only going to be there an hour don't go ballistic.

I have it happen to me all the time as a welder btw. Someone will call and want a minute job to cost $50.00 because I'm going to be there just a minute. But the drive time each way is an hour plus the hour minimum on site, even if I am only going to be there a "minute". That's $225.00 which can be more based upon attitude. A properly equipped two man surveyor crew has more equipment costs than I do I'm sure.

I really love it when their response is "I didn't pay that much for the gate in the first place." And the "can you stop by when your are in ? doesn't work either.

Keep in mind that a surveyor has to stay in business just like the rest of us. And travel time is an expense to them so when you hear $250.00 and they are only going to be there an hour don't go ballistic.

I have it happen to me all the time as a welder btw. Someone will call and want a minute job to cost $50.00 because I'm going to be there just a minute. But the drive time each way is an hour plus the hour minimum on site, even if I am only going to be there a "minute". That's $225.00 which can be more based upon attitude. A properly equipped two man surveyor crew has more equipment costs than I do I'm sure.

I really love it when their response is "I didn't pay that much for the gate in the first place." And the "can you stop by when your are in ? doesn't work either.
Luckily - I'm not one of those folks. I've been "self employeed" for quite a while now (IT Consultant) so I'm well versed in the value of time! One of the reasons I'm getting out of the "computer business" is the cost of service has just about exceeded the cost of replacement. When that begins to happen it's time to start looking for another line of work.

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #38  
I've used multiple receivers and do different functions during the daylight.

Keith - I recently did what you have done for a 850 ft run on relatively level ground and it worked well. In my case I was setting up vineyard boundaries for me to develop a tiling grid. The straight center reference line in the vineyard was set by me doing what you did and then I followed up with long right triangles to set parallel and perpendicular lines.....Gary

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #39  
Lots of suggestion that will work but I've not read (have not read ALL the posts) the way I'd go at it. First acquire a surveyors transit. (Since this is a one time project, I'd think about just renting the transit.) A model where the optics can be flipped end for end. Set you end stakes, place the transit near the high mid-point. Sight in one end stake, then flip, not rotated, and see how close the other end stake is lined up. Reposition the transit as needed until both end stakes are lined up by just the flipping the optics. Now you're ready to place all the other posts by sighting them through the transit.

Here's apic of the type of transit I'm thinking about. Vintage Used Old CL Berger Sons Boston Mass Surveyors Transit Tool in Box | eBay

Keith - I recently did what you have done for a 850 ft run on relatively level ground and it worked well. In my case I was setting up vineyard boundaries for me to develop a tiling grid. The straight center reference line in the vineyard was set by me doing what you did and then I followed up with long right triangles to set parallel and perpendicular lines.....Gary
Gary, did you make your vineyard row 850 feet? My longest is only 460 feet and I'm thinking it may be too long. The thought of having to enter the row with the tractor and go all 460 feet just to get to the other side seems unrealistic...