Straight Fence Line? Long Distance...

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #71  
And I always thought rock was the worst enemy. Never thought about sand. Hope you have a better day tomorrow.

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #72  
Well I guess the sun will shine another day. Good luck. If it makes ya feel any better I was digging trying to find drain line yesterday and of course broke it. Now gotta go fix.

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance...
If it makes ya feel any better I was digging trying to find drain line yesterday and of course broke it. Now gotta go fix.
The house that sits on our property is one we built ourselves - nail by nail. It's a nice 1200 sq ft, 2 bedroom, 1 bath home that we built for my parents. Dad started the project and the wife and I finished it - worked weekends for almost 3 years to complete the house. At any rate - along the line I lost sight of where we put the septic system. I knew the general area - but the EXACT location was a mystery. Well, it was until I found it with the auger on Friday! :laughing:

Dad's been gone for a few years now (he passed in 2010), and mom said she was absolutely positive the septic was inside the fence line... Uh, no mom - that's evidently incorrect. :dance1: All we hit was one of the lateral lines, but it sure gave us a scare! Finshed drilling the hole, pulled the auger, and there on the side of the hole was pipe for the lateral. We only managed to scape it a bit with no major damage done - it's just thinner in one spot now. :rotfl:

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #74  
Whew, you lucked out. I need some of your luck.

Attachments

• robby project.jpg
    robby project.jpg
    864.8 KB · Views: 202
   / Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #75  
Oops, I have never known how to post pictures and my wife was showing me a few minutes ago. Used this pic as a sample (actually was gonna start a thread about the yard lamp my latest project). She suppossedly cancelled it but then it showed up on last post. I will figure it out eventually.

Phase 1 of the deer fence is now complete - we sank the last post this afternoon. :cool2:

Phase 2 starts tomorrow when I begin building the "H" braces. Phase 3 is the actual hanging of the wire - and start that phase next weekend. We're in sight of the finsh line now! Lots of work left to do, but the posts were one of my big worries...

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #77  
Phase 1 of the deer fence is now complete - we sank the last post this afternoon. :cool2:

Phase 2 starts tomorrow when I begin building the "H" braces. Phase 3 is the actual hanging of the wire - and start that phase next weekend. We're in sight of the finsh line now! Lots of work left to do, but the posts were one of my big worries...

Are your corner posts/line posts already set? Are you only doing the cross braces and the tie wire for them?

Are your corner posts/line posts already set? Are you only doing the cross braces and the tie wire for them?
Yes - I should have made that more clear. The corner posts for the "H" braces were set in concrete yesterday to "finsh" phase 1. All I need to do to complete the "H" braces is to install the horizional brace poles once the concrete has had time to cure for the corner posts - then of course I have to add the tie wires and such. We did the fence line project "backwards" by installing the line posts first and the corners last. I've never done a fence either way, so I had no experience to draw on as to which way works best. Now that I'm done with the posts I can see where there might be advantages to doing the corners first - but I can also see where getting the line posts in a perfect "row" might have been a touch harder. In my case the start and end posts were less important than getting as straight a line as possible - so I did the line first. All of the corner posts are well within my property lines (the closest we got to a property line was 60 ft), so I did not need to follow a property boundry line.

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #80  
The end post on the lower point of the property line is only 4 foot tall - and unfortunately, it's not visable from the other post due to the gentle slope. As such, stretching a line between the two posts is not possible. I can place a tall t-post in front (or behind) the low side post to get some extra height so I can "see" the post. With that in mind I had hopes that there was a tool or sighting method that would make the job easier - and it would be great if it could be done by a single person.

I think KennyG is on the right track.

I found a website that documented a very similar idea - where you set a post about 200 feet using "eyesight", then move up to the 200 foot post and use it to sight in the next post. Then you go to the last post you set, turn around, and resight the line back to the original post. Then you repeat as necessary all the way down the line. The process makes sense and overcomes "issues" (or unsatisfactory results) we obtained today when we tried to "sight" in the posts. Of course I was hoping there was a super neato tool or gadget I could buy that did all of this for me. Once I finish the main fence line I need to repeat the process for 48 rows of trellis - so finding a quicker method would be very nice..
Once you get your first row set straight' you can then measure perpendicular points to the left or right. If you alternating posts in relation to each line, form a triangle from to posts on your set line to a single point. If both legs are the same length then the row will be parallel to the first line. So, once you have the first line set straight, the other 47 rows should be set faster and parallel