Straight Fence Line? Long Distance...

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #81  
I didn't read these posts but I did make a straight fence line for a 5/8 mile stretch. Here's how I did it.

First I identified the end posts and then used a pair of binoculars with a lined compass in them and had a friend set a markers along the way. I can't recall but they might have been 500 or more feet apart. I made those locations "H" posts to hold the tension of the 17 ga high tensile wire I planned to use.

Then I simply ran my wire the entire length and pulled it tight at each of the "H" posts. Fence line naturally became straight as an arrow and it didn't take all that long. Just my two cents here.

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #82  
I did a project several years ago that required setting steel cans in the ground that got runway lights mounted on them. The longer runway was 1-1/3 miles and the shorter one was 3/4 mile. Both sides of both runways had lights. Our process was more complicated because we had to establish and work from offset reference points due to the excavating we were doing.

Simply set a transit or builder's level on one corner and set the crosshairs on the far corner. Lock the rotation. Swing up and down as someone walks the fence line spotting posts as he goes.

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #83  
Besides suggestions above have also used good rifle scope mounted on wood. ;)Boone

I've done that. Line up the cross hairs on the far post. If necessary because of terrain you can add a tall stick broom handle or 2 by 4 etc to the far post

Once lined up, have a helper place a post or stake in the line and signal them to move left or right. Once you get intermediate posts close enough together you can switch to a string if your wife is the helper and she wants to quit because you can't make up your mind whether it should go to the right or left.

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #84  
laser...just bring the posts up to it on center....

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #85  
SD - My apologies for not answering your question to me a year ago but my trellis length is 760 ft. We were somewhat concerned about length when it comes to human manual labor along the full length like picking, shoot positioning, etc. You get used to it but at first it seems like you will never get there(the end)....Gary

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #87  
just shoot it from one pole to the other.
i have used a regular laser level for a cpl hundred feet.
once you get your hole close just bring the post up to the laser. you have to start at the opposite end of the run tho so ya dont block the line with your posts.
i hav a hard time explaining it but once ya figure it out its easy

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #88  
I did a project several years ago that required setting steel cans in the ground that got runway lights mounted on them. The longer runway was 1-1/3 miles and the shorter one was 3/4 mile. Both sides of both runways had lights. Our process was more complicated because we had to establish and work from offset reference points due to the excavating we were doing.

Simply set a transit or builder's level on one corner and set the crosshairs on the far corner. Lock the rotation. Swing up and down as someone walks the fence line spotting posts as he goes.

Bingo! You can also setup perfect corners and angles.

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #89  
Just to add to my post numbers... I did a short fense line of 150 ft.
Got a laser with enough power to go the distance of the fence line.
Once I aligned the laser between fence corner markers I used a reflector on a stick and plumb level.
Aligned the reflector to the laser, plumbed the stick, made a small hole removed the stick drove a stake for digging the hole after all the holes were located.

Easy one person method but the tools were the killer, maybe there is a rental place by you that will have a laser alignment tool and reflector.

If the project isn't done yet, good luck with it and Merry Christmas.