Straight Fence Line? Long Distance...

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #1  

SanDucerro

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040 - L3130 - ZD326S
I have two posts 570 feet apart. I want to create a straight line between the two posts for a fence. I assume there is a "trick" to getting a straight fence line over a long distance, but so far the technique has escaped me. So, how do you do it?

I looked at buying a transit, but the instructions say 200 feet is the maximum distance. I don't think a string stretched tight will work as I'm in a rather windy area. To complicate matters, the line I need to "draw" is on flat ground until the 400 foot mark - at which point it gently slopes down so that the "end point" is about 4 foot lower than the start point.

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #2  
Sounds like you can see one post from the other. As long as you have someone to help you, have them locate a stake in the center by sighting down the post line. Then keep adding center stakes between the others until you have a short enough distance to stretch a line. You can do this by yourself by trial and error, but you may to a lot of walking to get the first center stake set perfectly.

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #3  
Run a string from one corner to the other.

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #4  
For hi tensile wire I just stretch the bottom wire after setting the end braces, then drive the posts against the wire.

For all other types of fence I use temporary fence wire (aka poly wire) or masons twine, stretched as tight as possible by hand. I have seen others use plastic square baler twine. Sometimes on a long run you have to put a post or two in the middle, just by eye balling it, to help keep the line where it needs to be. You can also "stake" the twine where it needs to be, then drive the posts or drill the holes tight against the twine.

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #5  
Besides suggestions above have also used good rifle scope mounted on wood. ;)

Boone

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #6  
   / Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #7  
The rifle scope is a great idea and would work perfectly unless you are putting the fence posts up by yourself.

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance...
The end post on the lower point of the property line is only 4 foot tall - and unfortunately, it's not visable from the other post due to the gentle slope. As such, stretching a line between the two posts is not possible. I can place a tall t-post in front (or behind) the low side post to get some extra height so I can "see" the post. With that in mind I had hopes that there was a tool or sighting method that would make the job easier - and it would be great if it could be done by a single person.

I think KennyG is on the right track.
Sounds like you can see one post from the other. As long as you have someone to help you, have them locate a stake in the center by sighting down the post line. Then keep adding center stakes between the others until you have a short enough distance to stretch a line. You can do this by yourself by trial and error, but you may to a lot of walking to get the first center stake set perfectly.

I found a website that documented a very similar idea - where you set a post about 200 feet using "eyesight", then move up to the 200 foot post and use it to sight in the next post. Then you go to the last post you set, turn around, and resight the line back to the original post. Then you repeat as necessary all the way down the line. The process makes sense and overcomes "issues" (or unsatisfactory results) we obtained today when we tried to "sight" in the posts. Of course I was hoping there was a super neato tool or gadget I could buy that did all of this for me. Once I finish the main fence line I need to repeat the process for 48 rows of trellis - so finding a quicker method would be very nice....

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance...
Besides suggestions above have also used good rifle scope mounted on wood. ;)

Boone

I was thinking of using a spotting scope mounted to a tripod... But still looking for a "trick" that allowed me to do this single handed - of course that may simply be wishful thinking...

/ Straight Fence Line? Long Distance... #10  
The end post on the lower point of the property line is only 4 foot tall - and unfortunately, it's not visable from the other post due to the gentle slope.
I think KennyG is on the right track.

I found a website that documented a very similar idea - where you set a post about 200 feet using "eyesight", then move up to the 200 foot post and use it to sight in the next post. Then you go to the last post you set, turn around, and resight the line back to the original post. Then you repeat as necessary all the way down the line. The process makes sense and overcomes "issues" (or unsatisfactory results) we obtained today when we tried to "sight" in the posts. Of course I was hoping there was a super neato tool or gadget I could buy that did all of this for me. Once I finish the main fence line I need to repeat the process for 48 rows of trellis - so finding a quicker method would be very nice....

As far as short pole or slight hilly terrain you could use big tieraps or something simular and hold longer/taller pole behind it in place for visial line-up.

Boone