Bridge Questions

/ Bridge Questions #1  

tlj87

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4700, Kubota BX2370-1, Kubota RTV1140CPX, Kubota F3060, Club Car Precedent
To access the majority of my property and structures a creek must be crossed. There is a 50' bridge in place for foot traffic and an improved stream ford for vehicles. The stream ford has been there for more than 50 years, while a foot bridge has been there since 1962. The bridge abutments, which are 2 cubic yards of concrete each, are the originals (1962), while the bridge structure itself is in its third iteration. The first two bridges were completely wood. The first bridge lasted from 1962 to 1979 and was replaced with another wooden bridge which lasted only 9 months and was destroyed by a tornado. In 1980, the current steel bridge was built (photos are attached). The stream ford is adequate for spring-summer-fall, barring any major rain events.

We do not live on this property, but do have future plans to. Having an automobile bridge for our own use as well as propane, emergency, etc. would be desirable. I am looking for ideas for either adding to the current bridge (which is probably overkill for pedestrians only) or removing and replacing it with another structure. Also, any advise from folks regarding the permitting and engineering aspects, particularly in PA.

We have considered (and still have not ruled out) building a home on the part of the property which would not require the creek to be crossed. However, we already have a septic, two wells and essentially a house which we would reconfigure/remodel that is located on the other side of the stream.

The first two photos are of the current steel bridge during its construction in 1980. The third is a photo of the current bridge and stream ford in 2003.
BR_ 20.jpgBR_ 22.jpgDCP_0159.jpg

/ Bridge Questions #2  
You need to find a structural engineer and start talking to them.

/ Bridge Questions #3  
You might check into abandoned railroad bridges in the area.
They certainly would be strong enough but moving one might prove to be too expensive.

/ Bridge Questions #4  
Have you considered using large culvert(s)? They seem to be the goto thing now for DOT projects on secondary roads. The have various types: oval, open bottom arches that preserve fish habitat/passage, round, etc.

/ Bridge Questions #5  
As odd as it might sound, give craigslist a look. Stumbled across this bridge just the other day. Too bad it's so far away, it could be just what you need.

/ Bridge Questions #7  
It may be worth looking into concrete fords as a bridge alternative.

157562-M.jpg

hammond19.jpg

onfLowWaterCrossing.jpg

800px-Ogle_County_IL_White_Pines_State_Park_Fords3.jpg

Last edited:
   / Bridge Questions #8  
I would love to have that problem; building a bridge is on my bucket list.

Your biggest issue may be getting people like the propane company, to cross a bridge that doesn't have an engineering stamp of approval. Unless it's really substantial, they may not take the risk. And, having an engineer involved will really escalate the cost.

The culverts as mentioned, sadly, might be the easiest way out.

/ Bridge Questions #9  
It may be worth looking into concrete fords as a bridge alternative.

View attachment 297502

View attachment 297503

View attachment 297504

Our county road that I drive each day uses this concept. The sewers are much larger and are the flat bottom (three sided more or less) so they will carry max volume when like only 1/3 filled plus the wide bad lets more trash pass on down steam unaided.

If the OP could spot a vehicle so he could leave by walking over the bridge the sewer concept should do just fine and NOT mess up the landscape. Actually they are not really visible after some time for over growth to occur.

/ Bridge Questions #10  
Wow 50' is a big bridge. Could turn out to be pricey. I need about a 25' bridge and just have not figured out a good way to engineer it and still make it affordable. I just want to drive the tractor / Kawasaki Mule across it.