Whats everyone thing land prices are gonna do...

/ Whats everyone thing land prices are gonna do... #21  
The Asians will probably start bidding on the choice parcels. They have the money they have the forethought and they have many to thank for all the purchases made by Americans.

I think that is happening now. Foreign investment groups buying premium US farmland.

/ Whats everyone thing land prices are gonna do... #22  
as they say

they arnt makeing more of it. Im buying all that i can afford and wish i could buy more.

/ Whats everyone thing land prices are gonna do... #23  
as they say

they arnt makeing more of it. Im buying all that i can afford and wish i could buy more.
That's been my attitude for years.

Buy low and don't sell.

The "ethanol bubble" may burst, but the ag commodity one is tougher. People have to eat daily. They don't need new homes built daily so the tree market may rebound slowly. If prime ag land is going for $20K/acre lower quality ag land prices go up also.

I'm just a poor retired government worker, with a couple of hundred acres here and there. I've seen this real estate slump before, and hope to see it again. But as other posters have written your best buys are those that don't get widespread publicity. You've got to find a seller who has to sell NOW for the money you have (or can get) NOW.

I can see a dramatic need for "hobby farms" for people like me - retired baby boomer bailing out of the city. Baby Boomer (1946 to 1964) plus 65 years = Retired Boomer 2011 to 2029. My cohorts that went into private enterprise are bailing out and can afford land and tractors. Generally our health is good enough that we don't plan on hanging around in a retirement home for 20 years discussing 1960's rock and roll. Even my cohorts that worked for the Army for their entire working life are doing the same, usually with a little less $$.

In 30 years we'll be moving into cemeteries, but for a while we want our own piece of the earth. I think the boom was set back a bit by the "crash" that started in 2007 but in my areas prices are going up again.

/ Whats everyone thing land prices are gonna do... #24  
Since we're trying to sell our 35-acres east of Denver; my observation of local land prices seems to be stagnant unless you live near the city, or are in one of the trendy mountain towns. It will take a long time to sell our dirt, and we'll probably lose money on the deal.

/ Whats everyone thing land prices are gonna do... #25  
Look at it this way. The earth is what it is. People are being born everyday. Everyone of them must have some place to live, and they aint making anymore land. If you can afford to buy it, and afford to hold on to it, the price can only go up and you want loose any money on it.

/ Whats everyone thing land prices are gonna do... #26  
Land prices and purchases should be understood in terms of mutliple generations. Buying a small piece of land for the retirement home is one way to buy land, the other is to start or enlarge a family farm. Most property I see moving are pieces being added to existing large family operations. Whether the price is $x per acre or 20% higher does not matter when you plan to own the property for 100's of years and can pay cash.

/ Whats everyone thing land prices are gonna do... #27  
Land prices and purchases should be understood in terms of mutliple generations. Buying a small piece of land for the retirement home is one way to buy land, the other is to start or enlarge a family farm. Most property I see moving are pieces being added to existing large family operations. Whether the price is $x per acre or 20% higher does not matter when you plan to own the property for 100's of years and can pay cash.
That requires willing individuals, the concept of "family", and luck.

SMBO and I have a acquired some land, but amongst 4 children none want to take care of it. They all have their professional lives envisioned and it doesn't involve living in Mississippi.

Todays lifestyle is pretty mobile and it's had to keep them tied to the land.

/ Whats everyone thing land prices are gonna do... #28  
That requires willing individuals, the concept of "family", and luck.

SMBO and I have a acquired some land, but amongst 4 children none want to take care of it. They all have their professional lives envisioned and it doesn't involve living in Mississippi.

Todays lifestyle is pretty mobile and it's had to keep them tied to the land.

I would not count those kids out. As they grow older, the pull back to how and where they were raised grows stronger and stronger. Ken Sweet

/ Whats everyone thing land prices are gonna do... #29  

That's what I see here. If you want to farm around here, it's pretty hard unless you inherit or marry into a farm family.

/ Whats everyone thing land prices are gonna do... #30  
I would not count those kids out. As they grow older, the pull back to how and where they were raised grows stronger and stronger. Ken Sweet

Not to be crass, but the kids maybe are seeing where the money is? I see kids that go off for a few years, see how hard it is, move back to where they have family, sometimes for a support system, but sometimes making sure sure they get some cash.