Whats everyone thing land prices are gonna do...

/ Whats everyone thing land prices are gonna do... #31  
Look at it this way. The earth is what it is. People are being born everyday. Everyone of them must have some place to live, and they aint making anymore land. If you can afford to buy it, and afford to hold on to it, the price can only go up and you want loose any money on it.

In theory I agree with this; but there are plenty of places on Earth that no one will ever truly want and would take years, if ever to appreciate. The Sahara comes to mind.

/ Whats everyone thing land prices are gonna do... #32  
The Asians will probably start bidding on the choice parcels. They have the money they have the forethought and they have many to thank for all the purchases made by Americans.

Well, land is something they can't take home!

/ Whats everyone thing land prices are gonna do... #33  
Well, I'm looking at unimproved wooded lots from 5-15 acres cost is low and I enjoy the land clearing and getting services installed and alot of firewood is a good thing around here , For me it's an investment thing, I already have a retirement project piece of ground and will start building when the weather breaks ,but I do see the boomers moving further out and to have a buildable site with driveway , power and water already there is much easier for the new owner to just build their house than try to start from scratch , Now I have no interest building homes on these lots due to the cost and what I may like might not be what someone else wants !, The time I have and the work I love plus it would allow me to buy equipment that I would not consider without the extra income also I would rather have the land then the money sitting in the bank (too an extent ) and to double an investment in a short time is better than any other plan I know of .

/ Whats everyone thing land prices are gonna do... #34  
If you ask me now is about the worst time to buy. Give it another 4 years of failing economy and land will be selling on tax sales. In my opinion, gold, silver, and land are currently much overpriced due to speculation and hedging against a currency collapse.

/ Whats everyone thing land prices are gonna do... #35  
My Brother and I own 160 acres, 50% tillable. Our neighbor has been trying to buy a 6 acre tract from us that connects to his. He started at $20K last Fall. His latest offer was $60K, that's $10K per acre. We ain't sellin. As said above, they ain't making anymore land and I need my space. One of the largest row crop farmers in Missouri mostly surrounds us. He says the same thing, "Buy and never sell". If land in his operational area comes up for sale and he doesn't buy it, it's only because it was an inside deal and he didn't hear about it.

As I read this thread I looked at each poster's location. Seems here in the Mid-West it's a mutual consensus, buy if at all possible.

/ Whats everyone thing land prices are gonna do... #36  
That requires willing individuals, the concept of "family", and luck.

SMBO and I have a acquired some land, but amongst 4 children none want to take care of it. They all have their professional lives envisioned and it doesn't involve living in Mississippi.

Todays lifestyle is pretty mobile and it's had to keep them tied to the land.

Great! There are already too many people in Mississippi.

/ Whats everyone thing land prices are gonna do... #38  
Too dam many people in Colorado!

For sure on the Front Range, the population there has grown grossly out of proportion. :(

/ Whats everyone thing land prices are gonna do... #39  
No kidding, Colorado's population is just over 5-million now with about 4-million as I recall along the Front Range. I don't know where the brain trust in charge of planning things expects all the water to serve this many people is going to come from. At some point, residents here are going to have realize they can't afford to have the lush lawns that people in the Midwest and point east and south have. I don't have a lawn because I don't enjoy mowing it, and our water department is real proud of the crappy ditch water they supply us for irrigation.

/ Whats everyone thing land prices are gonna do... #40  
No kidding, Colorado's population is just over 5-million now with about 4-million as I recall along the Front Range. I don't know where the brain trust in charge of planning things expects all the water to serve this many people is going to come from. At some point, residents here are going to have realize they can't afford to have the lush lawns that people in the Midwest and point east and south have. I don't have a lawn because I don't enjoy mowing it, and our water department is real proud of the crappy ditch water they supply us for irrigation.

I've been going to Colorado vacationing almost every year for the past 30. I get off I-70 at Limon and take 24 all the way to Buena Vista, then South to Alamosa. We used to always make the trip at night. You could see the glow of Colorado Springs just after leaving Limon but you didn't see houses until the last ridge before the mountains. Now what was open prairie ridges are littered with houses. We hurry thru that area and don't relax until we hit Buena Vista. There it's still realitively calm. Never could understand why all those people moved to Colorado from out of state, but stopped at the front range. That migration turned what used to be a nice drive between Denver and Pueblo into a hectic, frantic trip trying all the while to stay alive!!! :(