The Slow Motion Retirement Plan

/ The Slow Motion Retirement Plan #121  
I once had a Toyota Tacoma back when they had a solid front axle. One of the hubs went bad and I started to take it apart and came to about the same place you were in. I couldn't figure out how to get it apart without beating it with a sledge hammer. Not wanting to fubar it I reassembled it and took it to a dealer. While they were working on it I looked through the shop door window just in time to see a mechanic whaling away at it with a ten pound sledge.:) I suppose it is a matter of knowing where to hit them.

/ The Slow Motion Retirement Plan
i got the pickup back on the road finally and decided i'd go dig a hole.

IMG_20141015_172137340_zpsf836af08.jpg

this hole (which is meant to be a graded flat area but is way too deep, go me) is the start of a sacrifice paddock (or is it corral, i can't figure out what the proper term is for the place cattle hang out when they are not turned out to pasture) for my vast cattle empire which will eventually grow to 4 or so cows. it's my first foray in dirt moving and has been an educational experience. i have slowly been getting the process figured out when i broke part of the three point hitch on my tractor. all of a sudden something at the back of the tractor started protesting loudly so i of course stopped to see what all the commotion was about.

IMG_20141015_172118484_HDR_zpsbb97dd91.jpg

the box blade had been adjusted to be level. what i found was that i had stripped the threads out of the adjustment for the leveling mechanism of the three point hitch.

IMG_20141015_172059611_HDR_zps81bfb2a0.jpg

the threads on the adjustment rod seem ok, but the threads on the receiver have been stripped. i'm going to look into getting a grade 8 nut of the proper size welded onto the top of the receiver. does anybody have a better idea?

/ The Slow Motion Retirement Plan #123  
"..the threads on the adjustment rod seem ok, but the threads on the receiver have been stripped. i'm going to look into getting a grade 8 nut of the proper size welded onto the top of the receiver. does anybody have a better idea? ..."

Are those "nomal" threads? Or are they something like Acme threads?

Are those "nomal" threads? Or are they something like Acme threads?

i'd never heard of an acme thread before, but upon looking it up i don't think so. they look like "normal" threads to me in that the apex and root of the thread are 'v' shaped and not flat.

my wife and i were out at the property yesterday staking a rough layout of the house and barn to be. we were out there later than normal and had to start getting ready to leave since the light started to go.

IMG_20141205_163910346_HDR_zpsbaa11eec.jpg

we can't wait to move out there.

/ The Slow Motion Retirement Plan #126  
Very nice!! :thumbsup:

/ The Slow Motion Retirement Plan #127  
Nice sunset. I can see how you would be anxious to make that your home. Maybe it's time to find 2nd gear? :laughing:

/ The Slow Motion Retirement Plan #128  
You're on an inspiring journey. I'm quite a ways from retirement, but my wife and I should really start talking about our 15 year plan soon.

Nice sunset. I can see how you would be anxious to make that your home. Maybe it's time to find 2nd gear? :laughing:

actually, it's past time to find second gear. :eek: there is some progress however. we have engaged a home designer, given him my wife's 10 pages of single spaced requirements, wishes, druthers, and hopes and said designer has come up with a house that is pretty darn close. we've talked with glass manufacturers, structural insulated panel manufacturers, roofing contractors, excavation folks, and a bunch of other people.

we've almost got our condo remodeled and when that is finished my wife will start planning on getting our current house fixed up so we can get it on the market.

i hope to sign a contract in the very near future to get a 30' x 50' barn built this spring. we're probably going to go with a cleary building.

we have a lot of irons in the fire, but man is there a lot of work to do. so, next week we go on vacation :D

/ The Slow Motion Retirement Plan #130  
we have engaged a home designer, given him my wife's 10 pages of single spaced requirements, wishes, druthers, and hopes and said designer has come up with a house that is pretty darn close.

After several attempts to sketch out our own floorplan - we just gave up. Hired the designer and gave them about a 5 page list of requirements. After the 3rd drawing, we're probably about 95% set on the floorplan. The next meeting is this week, where we hope to move onto the elevations and begin discussing the exterior. The downside ... we started out about 2500sq ft. but have ended up closer to 3500 - lol.

We started with a tractor, assorted implements and a UTV - then had a local Amish builder put up our 30x50 barn. I've learned you just can't be in a hurry!

We are willing to accept cash donations :)