The Slow Motion Retirement Plan

/ The Slow Motion Retirement Plan #161  
No, I don't think of deciduous trees in your area. :) Interesting.

I have read that past over-grazing has permanently altered the plant landscape in some areas of the Southwest. You are also on the edge of a region that has a history of fairly large and long variances in precipitation patterns. It will be interesting to see how your tree plantings fare or what techniques you might find to give them some help.

You might be better off renting a machine with a pneumatic hammer or bulldozer for a couple days? That's something you could do later after seeing how it goes with the drainage around the pad area.

/ The Slow Motion Retirement Plan #162  
I'm betting that a lot of readers are reading that to be "reads to two inches" not to "reads to two seconds of angle " which is what you mean. 360 degrees to a circle with 60 minutes to a degree(') and sixty seconds to a minute (").

Exactly, two seconds of angle. Sorry, I forget not all of us work with this stuff on a regular basis.

/ The Slow Motion Retirement Plan #163  
Exactly, two seconds of angle. Sorry, I forget not all of us work with this stuff on a regular basis.
You have to appreciate the old methods. I thought it was telling that when they compared the old triangulation measurements done with transits and wound up angles. with the new GPS and satellite measurements between Boston and Seattle the difference was only three feet in 3000 miles. Hard to carry that level of accuracy up and over the Rockies.

/ The Slow Motion Retirement Plan #164  
You have to appreciate the old methods. I thought it was telling that when they compared the old triangulation measurements done with transits and wound up angles. with the new GPS and satellite measurements between Boston and Seattle the difference was only three feet in 3000 miles. Hard to carry that level of accuracy up and over the Rockies.

/ The Slow Motion Retirement Plan
the first thing i did, almost 2 and a half years ago, was dig a hole. i'm still digging holes. every once in awhile, i dig a trench, but mostly it's still holes.

IMG_20150415_165527827_HDR_zpshzjh6m2v.jpg

this hole is for a tree.

IMG_20150415_165600373_zps3pq0thxo.jpg

my wife carefully and lovingly wrapped the tree for transport. i put said tree in the back of my truck and drove 61 miles over bumpy roads.

IMG_20150415_183139335_zpsapi0v7fk.jpg

i then planted said tree and put up a fence to keep antelope/deer/elk/killerbunnyfoofoo from eating its leaves. the hard part of all this was to get it supported so the blasted wind wouldn't knock it over and blow it to kalamazoo.

and with that done, i'm beat. i have to go out there tomorrow to pay the nice man who is supposedly delivering my barn's building materials, but i'm mostly going to relax.

/ The Slow Motion Retirement Plan #166  
Are you going to add some drip irrigation for the trees? perhaps a plastic barrel full of water that drains out very slowly.

/ The Slow Motion Retirement Plan #167  
I would stake those trees at least until the roots get settled. Sorry, I am soooo blind, looking again I see that is exactly what you did. Mine eyes no longer "see the glory" only the fog. Three stakes set in a triangle with a padded attachment to the tree with rope or cable. That will keep them from getting cranked to the ground by the wind. Got snow today? I am at DIA and it is coming down, but not sticking.

Last edited:
   / The Slow Motion Retirement Plan #168  
dha, I love that western see as far as the horizon look, but how can a tree grow where there's not one other tree in site? That just doesn't look like tree growing country.

/ The Slow Motion Retirement Plan #169  
Know what you mean about the bunnies, after a hard winter I found most of my wife's apple trees girdled once the snow was gone...

/ The Slow Motion Retirement Plan
You might be better off renting a machine with a pneumatic hammer or bulldozer for a couple days? That's something you could do later after seeing how it goes with the drainage around the pad area.

dave, the sandstone area i'm cutting back is pretty small and very loose. it's more compacted sand than it is true sandstone. i thought that bigger machinery was overkill. but you are absolutely correct in that i'll see what i'll need to do once the building goes in.

Are you going to add some drip irrigation for the trees? perhaps a plastic barrel full of water that drains out very slowly.

if you look at the "finished" picture of the planted tree, you can see a green plastic sleeve surrounding the bottom of the trunk. this is a watering bag, which is filled with water once it's installed. the water dribbles out the bottom over the course of 6 to 8 hours or so (supposedly). this is supposed to be good for a week's worth of watering. the deciduous tree planting project is an experiment and we'll undoubtedly lose some trees as we learn the techniques that work for our area.

dha, I love that western see as far as the horizon look, but how can a tree grow where there's not one other tree in site? That just doesn't look like tree growing country.

there is a small grove of ponderosa pines on the northern border of our property and there are a lot of pine trees around the area. there used to be deciduous trees in the black forest, near colorado springs, but those were all cut down to build colorado springs as the city grew in the late nineteenth century. i figure if deciduous trees grew in the area in the past, they ought to grow in the area now, but perhaps there are climatic changes that will prevent the tree from thriving. we'll see :)