Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M6800, Massey Ferguson 240

Default Hauling mixed concrete?

This is a really dumb question, but I am pouring a 3/4 yard slab sidewalk right by the road. Having a truck delivery will cost $250 due to the small load. I have a mixer, but I'm lazy enough not to want to mix 25 bags of pre mix, and worry if I can mix fast enough. Unfortunately, there are no rental companies here that rent the small towable trailers. There is a concrete company 1 mile away. Any way to haul mixed concrete a short distance and dump it. Heck, i have a dump trailer. Thought about just picking up 3/4 yard and driving it the one mile to my project. Or building a tub with a chute. Am I crazy?

My mixer does two 80 pound bags pretty well. I guess i can work fast enough to mix and dump 3/4 yard. But I brainstorming an alternative.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Farmall C

Default Re: Hauling mixed concrete?

Sounds like you might have to mix it yourself.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 65

line dump trailer with plastic tarp haul alot of concrete in trailers over the years works good but I also have had concrete dropped off when they had extra from a job got it cheap or free they were already paid for it try that

Tractor
    Kubota L3200, Ford 1210

Last year we did an in-house project at our church - 2 ADA Bathrooms. The Women's Room was located in an existing space that is slab on grade. We had to remove and replace the concrete floor for the new underground plumbing. I brought a beat-up Harbor Freight mixer from work and mixed up over 30 (80#) bags of concrete in a couple hours. A few Ibuprofen gel caps were required the next day. But then it's been 40 years since I was 27, so I can't complain too much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hauling mixed concrete?-img_1979-jpg  

Elite Member
    Tractor
    SSTT (Sideways Snake Tain Tractor) and STB (sideways train box) tractor, dirt harvester

1 mile away. toss plastic in bucket of one of your tractors. and drive over there. assuming you have a slow motion sign for rear of tractor. and lights work.

heck if it takes a couple trips with tractor 1 mile... seems pretty quick with a tractor. i could pull that off.
    Ryan

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4200GST John Deere X758 Previously owned: J.D. 318, I.H. 354, J.D. 2350

Quote Originally Posted by M E Cook View Post
    line dump trailer with plastic tarp haul alot of concrete in trailers over the years works good but I also have had concrete dropped off when they had extra from a job got it cheap or free they were already paid for it try that
    Now there's good alternative. Depending upon the size of your trailer, the 3/4 Yd of concrete can spread out pretty thin. You could possibly partition a section of the trailer off before lining it with a tarp. The partition would have to be reinforced or blocked in such a way to prevent the heavy concrete mix from pushing it out of place while on the road.

Edited to correct "partition".
    Last edited by Oldoak; 06-16-2017 at 01:32 PM.

Tractor
    NH TN 55, Kubota B2320 & RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw 61" ZTR

Quote Originally Posted by Oldoak View Post
    Now there's good alternative. Depending upon the size of your trailer, the 3/4 Yd of concrete can spread out pretty thin. You could possibly patrician a section of the trailer off before lining it with a tarp. The patrician would have to be reinforced or blocked in such a way to prevent the heavy concrete mix from pushing it out of place while on the road.
    Make that partition.

Steve

You surely can haul concrete. It does segregate though. All the aggregate will be in the bottom. The top ends up a runny mess. Depending on the plant chute your vehicle and trailer may take on a spotted cement Look!

If you do haul specify some no slump or a high early type that is used immediately for building things like manholes on.

Yes, at one time manholes were built with concrete blocks.k
    Last edited by Egon; 06-16-2017 at 08:12 AM.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    4410 and F-935 John Deere, MF 245

There are some concrete companies that rent trailers just for hauling concrete.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    GC2310,

Warning: When hauling concrete in a trailer, do not stop quickly.

It will all come forward, and much of it will spill out of the front of the trailer.

Trust me.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast