Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota B1750

Default Stone dust used for concrete mixing

The local quarry sells stone dust by a ton, it is half the price of concrete sand. I used it for setting pavers, in horse stables and other places.

Just out of curiosity I did some searching and there are studies like this one:

http://www.academicjournals.org/arti...%20et%20al.pdf

that evaluate using stone dust as sand substitute for mixing concrete.

I am tempted to try it out on some paving or such.

What do you think?
    Regards,

Prokop

I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD 950

Default Re: Stone dust used for concrete mixing

Probably just fine for most uses. But be aware that their comparison was between a sand & brick chip aggregate versus a stone powder & rock chip aggregate. Brick chips are never used in the USA, so the comparisons may not be valid to the materials in common use in the west, particularly the US and Canada.

Tractor
    John Deere 2320

There are all kinds of alternative aggregates for concrete, but unless you have a way to control the material, you risk getting unexpected results. For example, sea shells have been used in concrete with good results but if you pick up salt and other impurities along with them, it damages the concrete.

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

Worse case scenario if you do everything exactly the same, it will probably have a lower psi. For a walkway, it wont matter. The most important thing is using as little water as possible. Too much water is the number one reason for cracks.

Tractor
    JCB 212SU

Interesting. I end up with quite a bit of fly ash from one of my burners and I've been curious about using it.

Strength of aggregates depends on what the aggregate is made from. (Type of rock.) The ultimate strength of concrete is determined by the type of aggregate and mix design.

Using the stone powder should be fine but may require more cement in the mix. Fly ash has been used in concrete mixes.

If in doubt make a few bricks and see how it works.y

To get a proper answere check out the "Portland Cement" web sites. All the information is there.
    Egon
    50 years behind the times
    Livin in a
    Worn out skin bag filled with rattlin bones

Tractor
    Kubota B1750

I helped my dad many years ago to poor a dividing wall in the basement of his cabin. we used some kind of a expanded glass aggregate, it was very light but good enough for not bearing wall.
    Regards,

Prokop

I was put on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Now I'm so far behind, I'll never die!

Tractor
    Kubota B1750

Name came back to me - Perlite
    Regards,

Prokop

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Quote Originally Posted by czechsonofagun View Post
    Name came back to me - Perlite
    The strength of that wall would probably match that of a paper mache wall. Perlite is usually used for insulation material or in some instances for a light weight concrete it is added to the aggregate but not totally substituted for sand and gravel.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Tractor
    AGCO GT45,Ford600,Pasquali

I visited a large quarry in northern Vermont that produces tombstones. They will not allow anyone under any circumstances to obtain stone dust due to potential law suits from Silicosis. Their air filtration system in the plant is nothing short of awesome. Some of the longest lasting concrete was produced by the Roman Empire. They mixed volcanic "dust" in their mixes. Here in New England we have access to what's called Hard pack, dust and small chips that I have used successfully. If you work with any type of "dust" always wear a good filter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast