Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    john deere 1070

Default The Slow Motion Retirement Plan

my wife and i closed on 40 acres of land 16 miles east of kiowa, co and 4 miles north of highway 86. we will retire there in about five years or so. the aim is to end up retired, debt free, and with everything we need finished. the land has 4 strand barbed wire fence on the east and west sides; the north and south sides of the lot are open. there is a gravel road on the eastern boundary that is well maintained by elbert county. power is available across the road. other than the two fence lines, the land is completely undeveloped. we will thus have to create a driveway, drill a well, run power into the property, add a septic tank, and then build.

it's going to be a long road, but the journey started today. the obligatory picture:

-south40-jpg

Default Re: The Slow Motion Retirement Plan

CONGRATS
    Debt free is the best way to be...Ive NEVER owed anyone anything except my wife.Good luck and perhaps keep us updated on the journey...

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota, John Deere, Case, Massey Ferguson, Ford

Congratulations, nothing quite like owning your own land.

Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700

Congrats.

However, I think in this day and age "debt free" should be used with modifiers. Interest rates are so low that it may be advantageous to have a mortgage loan which allows you to take advantage of significant deals. Especially if you get tax savings. With 30yr mortgages around 3.5% the money is there for many of us.

I could have done without buying my 50HP M4700, and done without clearing land, hauling lumber, making gardens. But since the bank loaned me money at 3.5% for 30 years I'm paying it off at about $45/month.

/edit - that's based on my mortgage of 30yrs at 3.5%, not a separate loan for the tractor.
    Last edited by newbury; 01-26-2013 at 09:06 AM.
    My rides - '95 Kubota M4700 w/ PEC, LA1001 FEL :'07 B7610, LA352 FEL, Bush Hog SBX 48 box blade, '09 Woods BH70-X w/ 16" bucket and thumb, 3pt pallet forks, Dale Phillips PHD, Jinma 8" chipper, 2 Piranha's, Winco 12KW PTO generator, Howse plow, 5' KK tiller, 5' Big Bee cutter, with a 2002 7.3L Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 and '07 18' Hudson HSE Deluxe trailer - 5 Ton to haul it all

I see the neighbors have built their houses down in the trees. Are there any trees on your fourty acres. Great view but must be windy as all get out.

Tractor
    Yanmar 2210

Awesome looking. Congrats and enjoy it for many years to come.

Tractor
    john deere 1070

vtsnowedin, yes, we have perhaps 100 trees on our property. unfortunately, all but 8 or so are 3 feet tall or less. i share a triangular enclosure with my northern neighbor that is packed full of what looks like ponderosa pine. i'd guess they were planted some years ago as they are densely packed into a small area. my wife and i are going to move the smaller trees around for windbreaks and the like. and yes, the wind has been known to blow in that area i've spent something like 30 days in that part of elbert county wandering around looking for property, and the wind was generally very calm, however i'll be springtime can be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by dhagood View Post
    vtsnowedin, yes, we have perhaps 100 trees on our property. unfortunately, all but 8 or so are 3 feet tall or less. i share a triangular enclosure with my northern neighbor that is packed full of what looks like ponderosa pine. i'd guess they were planted some years ago as they are densely packed into a small area. my wife and i are going to move the smaller trees around for windbreaks and the like. and yes, the wind has been known to blow in that area i've spent something like 30 days in that part of elbert county wandering around looking for property, and the wind was generally very calm, however i'll be springtime can be interesting.
    I don't know as you can move estableshed trees without killing most of them. You'd need to take as large a root-ball as you could and keep it watered in it's new hole as long as possible. Someone with more local experience will know better. Sounds like a job for a good sized tractor though :-) Looking forward to your updates.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6000 MWFD, 2 1950's Farmalls, 1974 Farmall 140, 1967 Mf 135Delux

Looks, good...along with the tractor/attachments, etc. I hope you have a good 22-250 or an AR-15 for the occasional coyote.....BobG in VA

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Quote Originally Posted by vtsnowedin View Post
    I don't know as you can move estableshed trees without killing most of them. You'd need to take as large a root-ball as you could and keep it watered in it's new hole as long as possible. Someone with more local experience will know better. Sounds like a job for a good sized tractor though :-) Looking forward to your updates.
    I would second the issue of transplanting established trees. Might be better to get some fast growing trees that will tolerate the climate and plant them where you want rather than kill the few that you have. The area looks like it might be high desert like terrain so choose the trees to be tolerant of the conditions.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast