Ford 8n Windsor 351 conversion

/ Ford 8n Windsor 351 conversion
IN 4th gear step down, it should be 20.68 at 2400 RPM, If I rev it up to 4800 rpm, that would double it.

So if I set it in my mind to limit the rpms or put on a governor, I should be OK.

/ Ford 8n Windsor 351 conversion #12  
IN 4th gear step down, it should be 20.68 at 2400 RPM, If I rev it up to 4800 rpm, that would double it.

So if I set it in my mind to limit the rpms or put on a governor, I should be OK.

Your math is off by quite a bit. An 8n will do 12.54 MPH in 4th gear direct drive at 2000 ERPM. (from Ford 8n service manual 3730-47J reprint) The Sherman stepdown ratio is 1.513:1 giving a speed of a little over 10 MPH at the 8N's rated 2200 ERPM or about 22 MPH at 4800 ERPM. (ratio from original Sherman literature)
http://www.oldfordtractors.com/sherman/shermco.jpg

At any rate, RPM's should be governed to near original for a variety of reasons.

/ Ford 8n Windsor 351 conversion #13  
I have a 1952 8N with Sherman over-under in good shape.
Using an Awesome Henry kit, I am putting a Windsor 351 Ford into it.

Don at Awesome Henry has been great with information and ideas.

Anyone out there with experience and/or tips for this?
I will have a nice 8N motor that carries 45PSI Oil Pressure to sell when I am done, how much $ should I ask for it?

Wploetz,

I am going to against the naysayers. I say they are your tractors to do with as you wish. They're plenty of 8n tractors out the for people to restore to stock. I applaud you for wanting to do something fun and creative. I don't know you or your dad but I'm would think he would want you to enjoy the tractor and if that means this project again I say go for it. I am currently working on a 1969 mach 1 matching numbers mustang. At first I was going to keep everything original and stock. Then I got to thinking its my car I should make it fit me. I am keeping all the original parts but plan on doing the interior the color I want not just the factory options. I also am going back and forth on replacing the 3 speed with a 5 speed. This is your thread so I won't go into all my details but you get where I'm going with this. Have fun.

/ Ford 8n Windsor 351 conversion #14  
If the rest of the running gear is in good shape and you don't abuse it, it should work just fine.:thumbsup:
In the June 2012 Hot Rod magazine there's a 2N with a 170 hp flat-head V8 that does wheelies.:D:D:D

/ Ford 8n Windsor 351 conversion #15  
If the rest of the running gear is in good shape and you don't abuse it, it should work just fine.:thumbsup:
In the June 2012 Hot Rod magazine there's a 2N with a 170 hp flat-head V8 that does wheelies.:D:D:D

Doesn't take much talent to wheelie with just a stock 2n. Or end up flat on your back on the ground with a 2N between your legs. Piloting one down the road at 40 MPH doesn't appeal to me, either. Frigging things have killed a lot of guys that thought they had the answers.

/ Ford 8n Windsor 351 conversion
In further thoughts, I am going to add a ROPS w/seat belt to my upgrade parts list! Seems like a wise thing to do. Check with my local NH dealer, they are supposed to have a kit for that.

/ Ford 8n Windsor 351 conversion #17  
Sounds cool, looking forward to the pics.

/ Ford 8n Windsor 351 conversion #19  
I love small-block Ford motors (have a built 351w in my '79 F-150 rock crawler)

I also love N-series tractors

Never the twain shall meet...

/ Ford 8n Windsor 351 conversion #20  
I thought New Holland made the small ford with a diesel. Are there not alot of them sitting around unsold in your area?