Ford 8n Windsor 351 conversion

/ Ford 8n Windsor 351 conversion
Yes, there are lots of Ford/NH Diesel sitting around. But how cool are they? (not).
I already have a NH Boomer DA-40 Diesel. Wonderful tractor, sounds like a UPS truck.
And if Marvin Baumann can put a turbine and a Windsor 351 in his 8N, maybe there is hope for me yet!

Last edited:
   / Ford 8n Windsor 351 conversion #22  
An old V-8 Ford Flathead would have a lot more class than the boat anchor you are considering! And 4-X the hp of a stock tractor.
The original 4 cylinder block is also the frame, how do they get around this?

I am not known for having a lot of class! I agree, but there are other advantages of the small block ford. It is already has 12 volts, parts are cheaper, etc. I really don't care about the HP. I will use restrainst! I sold my flathead V8 for $1325 and I have a 351 Windsor lined up for much less. Plus, I don't have to cut the transmission case for the starter access for the 351 where I would have to for the flathead.
The kit from Awesome Henry has a steel adapter that goes from the transmission to the front motor mounts and front end so that has already been engineered for me.

/ Ford 8n Windsor 351 conversion #24  
He's building a great "street rod" type tractor and it sounds like a great idea and admirable way to show mechanical aptitude, quality of construction and is a great project. That's the kind of talent so many on this site are so good at. Plus, it's relatively low cost fun.

The street rod cars most of us admire are not an exercise in practicality and would not do well driving in the snow but that's never going to happen anyway and is not the point. A cool tractor in a parade or something done just because it can be sone sounds great to me and I look forward to the photos. Lots of photos, please.

Thanks, you are the first encouraging person I have run across on this forum. And I think it can be a little practical too. Can you imagine how much more fun it will be to grade & plow our 3/4 mile driveway? And you like dogs too!

/ Ford 8n Windsor 351 conversion #26  
I also encouraged you a few post back. I have to say to the guy calling a 351 a boat anchor has no clue. The 351 in my mach 1 is anything but a boat anchor. I know you don't need a High hp 351 for your project but 351's can be a very powerful engine. Isn't the 351 what they ran in NASCAR for a long time? I'm not a NASCAR fan so I don't know for sure. I just want to say again good luck and have fun with your project.

/ Ford 8n Windsor 351 conversion #27  
I also encouraged you a few post back. I have to say to the guy calling a 351 a boat anchor has no clue. The 351 in my mach 1 is anything but a boat anchor. I know you don't need a High hp 351 for your project but 351's can be a very powerful engine. Isn't the 351 what they ran in NASCAR for a long time? I'm not a NASCAR fan so I don't know for sure. I just want to say again good luck and have fun with your project.

Too bad he wasn't using a 351 Cleveland.

/ Ford 8n Windsor 351 conversion #28  
Thanks, you are the first encouraging person I have run across on this forum. And I think it can be a little practical too. Can you imagine how much more fun it will be to grade & plow our 3/4 mile driveway? And you like dogs too!

Well, don't plan on actually using it to any serious degree unless you have lots of spare parts. You'll bust the rear end, flip it over or get stuck and rotate the thing over on top of yourself. This is an object of art you're building that is pleasing to look at and a highlight of your building skills. Maybe mostly a parade tractor or wagon puller.

I built a wild street rod that is so small I can barely get in and it is is open wheeled, etc., with spotless black paint, polished aluminum and obviously fair weather intensions only. At car shows evey now and then some one will ask me how it is in the snow? Huh? Or. does it have a radio? I say they "didn't have radios back then" and the people nod "OK" and walk away satisfied. Some ask if I drove it there. What?, I'm in a parking lot of a grocery store. Oh, well.

They mean well but don't understand the expression of this type of art. It's why we wax tractors and paint implements that will never see the rain or even get used very often. Remember, we need your build pictures. Take your time and do a first class job.

If it matters, I have thought of putting a Kubota diesel in a 1500 lb street rod but can't figure out the acceleration thing. In a sense I would have to use the engine like a gas engine in that I would have to accelerate to control speed. Diesel trucks do it but tractors are fixed idle and variable ground speed? I keep thinking about it and how to solve the idle and acceleration aspect of a diesel tractor engine in a street-driven application and maybe one day 'll be in your shoes.

Cool. Here is what I found about that. "In 1991, Ford switched from the Cleveland-based small-block V-8 to the venerable 351 “Windsor” engine. Other than minor cylinder head updates over its 18 years of service in NASCAR, the basic Windsor block configuration has remained unchanged. "

It is fun already just batting thoughts around with people. The research has been fun too. I have been gathering info and searching for parts. It started with a 1948 ford 8N, now it is a 1952, better steering gear. I added to the list of requirements the Sherman Over Under so I could get gearing low enough to actually do some work with it at less then supersonic speeds, especially in reverse. Went from modifying the original 4 cylinder to a Flathead V8 from 1950 ford sedan to a 302 to a 351 Windsor from an LTD with only 12,000 miles on it. Added a ROPS to my requirements. I also am trying to figure out if I want to add some type of auxiliary hydraulics, I certainly will have enough power to run a pretty good pump, just not sure about how to go about that. I am going to add a sub-frame from in front of the axle (to mount things) all the way to the read axle, just to tie it all together, hydraulically driven to lift a snow plow at the front.
Anyone with thoughts on a easy or at least straight forward way to add a decent sized pump, reservoir & controls? Wood a small beer keg mounted ahead of the front bumper be a good reservoir? It would look cool. I could clear coat it for a decent finish. Maybe a belt drive pump like a Prince High Pressure Hydraulic Clutch Pump — 2.32Cu In..
Then does there need to be some type of un-loader or pressure relief valve? to reduce pressure build up when the hydraulics are not in use?