Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 60HST 60HP Diesel Compact 4WD Hydrostatic with factory cab, A/C, radio

Default Ford 8n Windsor 351 conversion

I have a 1952 8N with Sherman over-under in good shape.
    Using an Awesome Henry kit, I am putting a Windsor 351 Ford into it.

Don at Awesome Henry has been great with information and ideas.

Anyone out there with experience and/or tips for this?
    I will have a nice 8N motor that carries 45PSI Oil Pressure to sell when I am done, how much $ should I ask for it?

Tractor
    Kubota L5740

Default Re: Ford 8n Windsor 351 conversion

ok I'm gonna ask WHY????
    Kubota L5740 La854
    MF 35 Deluxe gas wloader...For sale

Bronze Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by bucktaker View Post
    ok I'm gonna ask WHY????
    Funny thing, my wife asks the same question. Am I crazy? Maybe, but along with many others. Hundreds others have done 8N v8 conversions, I wonder why they have did them? Mostly with flat heads but I like the idea of a newer motor in an older tractor.

Actually, I want to build it as a memory to my father. It was our tractor together and I want to restore it but make it different. I am too practical for a hot rod car or truck but a tractor, for some reason that makes sense to me. With the Sherman it will be quite usable. It should be fun to plow snow and grade our dirt road with it.

SO bottom line is I want to build it because I can (I think)

Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Quote Originally Posted by wploetz View Post
    Funny thing, my wife asks the same question. Am I crazy? Maybe, but along with many others. Hundreds others have done 8N v8 conversions, I wonder why they have did them? Mostly with flat heads but I like the idea of a newer motor in an older tractor.

Actually, I want to build it as a memory to my father. It was our tractor together and I want to restore it but make it different. I am too practical for a hot rod car or truck but a tractor, for some reason that makes sense to me. With the Sherman it will be quite usable. It should be fun to plow snow and grade our dirt road with it.

SO bottom line is I want to build it because I can (I think)
    Would you put a 25 hp Briggs & Stratton engine on a 21" push mower? That's what you are doing with your 8N. That tractor was designed for an engine less than 30 hp. Even with the flathead engine, you are asking for trouble with additional torque and hp over 4 times the original. Now you drop in a 351 V8 and the innards of your tractor are gonna snap like pretzels. Which component do you think will go first? Don't you think your father would rather have you honor his memory by restoring the tractor to pristine original level rather than blow it up with something so impractical? There are tons of suppliers of original and add-on parts for that tractor in original condition. Don't turn that memory into a member of the scrap heap of used parts. That's my opinion for what it's worth. Please don't ruin a wonderful piece of agricultural history. Honor it with full restoration.
    Jim

Bronze Member
    Tractor

I can see your point. I asked for thoughts and I do welcome all views, even if they are different from mine.
    What I have learned from my father is to be open minded, non-judgemental and accepting of others.
    With that in mind, I have 2 8N's so maybe I will soup up the other one and keep my dad's as original.
    I will have to use extreme caution when operating such an overpowered machine.
    No roll bar, no seat belt, careless use could lead to catastrophic results. I am in my 60's and would like to make it as far as my 92 year old father did.
    I do not intend to rev it up and dump the clutch.

Tractor
    Case 885, JD 730D, Ford 4000

Quote Originally Posted by jinman View Post
    Would you put a 25 hp Briggs & Stratton engine on a 21" push mower? That's what you are doing with your 8N. That tractor was designed for an engine less than 30 hp. Even with the flathead engine, you are asking for trouble with additional torque and hp over 4 times the original. Now you drop in a 351 V8 and the innards of your tractor are gonna snap like pretzels. Which component do you think will go first? Don't you think your father would rather have you honor his memory by restoring the tractor to pristine original level rather than blow it up with something so impractical? There are tons of suppliers of original and add-on parts for that tractor in original condition. Don't turn that memory into a member of the scrap heap of used parts. That's my opinion for what it's worth. Please don't ruin a wonderful piece of agricultural history. Honor it with full restoration.
    Not to mention travel speeds approaching 3X original.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360

If I were doing a modern engine conversion, I think I would do a modern 4 cylinder Ford engine, preferably a tractor engine, maybe diesel.

I'd really enjoy an 8N with a small diesel.

Bruce

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    2012 Kioti CK27HST w/cab

Seeing as you asked for thoughts.....I think you should sell the 351W and use the proceeds to restore both 8N's.

Bronze Member
    Tractor

With the sherman in low gear, it won't be that much faster.

Tractor
    Case 885, JD 730D, Ford 4000

Quote Originally Posted by wploetz View Post
    With the sherman in low gear, it won't be that much faster.
    With a conservative 4800 RPM redline for the Windsor and underdrive ratio of the Sherman, your top speed in Underdrive with the Windsor conversion will be 50% faster than the original flathead run WOT in Sherman Direct Drive.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast