Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days
Just curious....what was the final total of $'s you got from the logs?
Still waiting on the final check of the lumber mill, plus I got the load on Monday, but I'm guessing maybe close to $10k gross.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #92  
Great thread! I'm enjoying all the pictures and write up of the process. You doing a fantastic job, and I look forward to watching this house be completed.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #93  
Pete,

W O W!

Totally awesome thread...

You make me want to go lumberjack and log my place all by myself!

What you are doing for your mom is priceless.

David

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #94  
Lol, so true about bathrooms and kitchens!

Here's a shot from this morning before heading over to meet the builder at their model home to pick roofing, windows, siding, etc.

I hope you were able to get casement and/or awning types for the operable windows. They seal so much better than sliding window types (e.g. sliders, single hung, double hung), and will probably be easier for your Mom to operate as she gets older.

Still waiting on the final check of the lumber mill, plus I got the load on Monday, but I'm guessing maybe close to $10k gross.

Cha-Ching! Especially if your expenses to get them to the mill were minimal.

I think it's great that you are doing this for your Mom.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #95  
All that Lumber and only 10K. MAN and and when we all go to Hone depot to buy a 2x they charge an arm and a leg. I wonder what that 10K will earn the mill

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #96  
You could have made several NICE LOG cabins out of all those logs! But then those take more than 90 days too :D
Hard to believe it has gone so well so far. around here we have had LOTS of freezing temps snow rain freeze more melting etc. Nov & Dec were good, but January hit and has been below normal temps and odd conditions.

Mark

Yeah, I was hoping the lumber would fetch more than that. So here are the actual numbers:

lumbersale.JPG

So almost half a million pounds of wood doesn't quite clear 10 grand.

And keep in mind that net number does not include the guy operating the excavator @ $90/hour (machine, operator and fuel), nor my time or fuel. So at the end of the day, the proceeds from the lumber only helped off-set some of the cost of clearing the land....

So things are pretty much at a standstill now until the foundation walls show up, which is scheduled to be early next week. They went into production at the end of last week, with the last minute change required to 3 of the walls for the 2 car garage.

Last edited:
   / Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #98  
I was hoping your net proceeds would have been higher too. The gross proceeds sure sounded good...at least to me they did.

If I had more time and didn't need to hire a log truck and driver to haul the lumber @ $200/load, and if I had cut all the trees myself, the net would have been much higher. But time was the big factor here that dictated getting it done in a hurry. This has been a great learning experience and I plan to do more of this kind of work in the future on my own.

/ Building a stick frame house in the woods in 90 days #100  
If I had more time and didn't need to hire a log truck and driver to haul the lumber @ $200/load, and if I had cut all the trees myself, the net would have been much higher. But time was the big factor here that dictated getting it done in a hurry. This has been a great learning experience and I plan to do more of this kind of work in the future on my own.

Did you sing the lumberjack song?